Bike Rack for pop-up

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by msppilot, Jun 20, 2015.

1. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I have still in box sport rack for pup by etrailet for sale. Its like 140 plus tax. Just throw me a number plus shipping from 02760. It been sitting in my garage for a year . It might not be even opened. I will give you for a reasonable price .

2. edh

edh Active Member

You'll have to increase that weight estimate for your four bikes and rack. A 25 lb bike would be unusually light, esp. if you have racks, pack, lights, water bottles, etc as well. If you are riding a hybrid (trail/street) bike that didn't cost over $500, figure more like 35lbs per bike. And my hitch-mount 4-bike rack weighs a good 40lbs by itself. Weigh yourself, then weigh again holding the rack and one bike as well, then add them up. Chances are you'll need to reinforce that rear bumper as noted in other posts.

Another option, though possibly not for your tow vehicle, is to have a receiver mounted to your TV's front end and carry the bikes up front. There are also roof-mounted racks for TV's, but those would be pretty inconvenient, not to mention issues with tree branches whacking them. I haven't tried it but I wonder if a roof rack on the camper might beat up the roof a bit.

3. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

After seeing how the top on pup are made, I do not want anything extra on top while traveling, the vibration will make leak more likely.

4. edh

edh Active Member

If you are up for upgrading your bikes, one last option might be folding bikes... if your riding is just around the campground those would work and might even fit inside the camper or TV. I do see bike racks on camper roofs but share BIGTOM's reservations about them adding stress to an aged or lightly constructed roof.

5. Scottbaldwin01

Scottbaldwin01 New Member

Our Coleman Taos came with a set of load bars already installed on it, I installed an older style bike rack on one side and two Thule sidearm racks on the other side.

6. Austin694

Austin694 Member