1. FamilyCampingMN

FamilyCampingMN New Member

Hi,

I am looking for a good option for a bike rack for my PUP. We are a family of 4 and sometimes what to have all of the bikes. Our kids are currently 7 and 9 to give you the size of the bikes we will be using.

I have tried the double hitch and bike rack and it didn't work well. And I don't want to drill holes in the top of my PUP to put the rack on the roof.

I came across this option on Amazon and was wondering if anyone has this rack, used it, loves it, hates it?

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Systems-...e+rack+for+popup+camper&qid=1569600452&sr=8-6

We have a 2011 Jayco Jay Series 1006 AC unit added. Pulled by a 2011 Chevy Tahoe. Our PUP does have the extra storage area like on the Amazon picture. We only have 1 propane tank at the moment.

Thank you for any help.
    Chris

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

IMHO, anything that you put on top of the pup will either put holes in it or will put pressure on it in a way that was not designed. If I had a Tahoe, I would get a roof bike rack for it and not mess with the pup at all.

I have wanted a bike rack for my pup for years, but I have concluded that there are no racks that I can purchase or build that would not in some way either cause damage to my pup or have the potential to damage it. I was close to purchasing the style that you linked to, but decided that the bikes resting on the pup could cause roof damage, no matter how small it may be. I didn't feel it was worth it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Camper054 likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I agree with BikenFish. I have a 1up hitch rack for my bikes but I cant tow the camper and have the bikes hanging off the back. So when we travel with bikes and the camper I have Kuat trays that fit on the roof of my jeep. This keeps the camper weight the same and I dont have anything potentially damaging the camper. 4 bikes, depending on brand and size could add significant tongue weight. Just be cautious of were you add weight.

4. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Member

I built my own out of aluminum tube and angles based on the ProRack design and what I saw others do on the Portal. I found the fork mounts on Amazon. I then strap the bikes down to the tongue. We've been all over with them and never had an issue. Sometimes the tires leave a little black mark on the roof but no damage. When we moved to our highwall, I unbolted off the old trailer and installed it without too much modification needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the new highwall:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. FamilyCampingMN

Hi,

Putting bikes on the roof is not an option either I should have put that in my original post. I have a Thule topper that takes up the whole roof space.

6. FamilyCampingMN

That looks like a nice rig. Do the back tires scuff up the top of the PUP. I assume you strap them down from side to side to keep the back tires from moving.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I went through the same a few years ago and finally decided on the ProRac system. ...have never had a problem with it, have carried 4 bikes when needed, used on my old Palomino and my current Coleman ...works as advertised. If the price is a sticking point there are many threads on here of people that have copied the design with great success.

FamilyCampingMN likes this.
  8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’d say a ProRac (or DIY version) is your best bet. Another option would be to keep an eye out for a used Sixnall rack. They just strapped to the roof. Here’s an old ad for reference.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/382458134/

9. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I did an 'extensive' research on adding bike rack on a PUP before we bought ours earlier this summer. My wife wants to carry bikes to campsites. When searching, I found out that there are few PUPs that come with bike racks. The only ones I found were the Coleman PUPs that seems to have original (or dealer installed) bike racks and price were few hundred more than the ones without and not many available. After doing the research, I realized that either you have to build one on your own (like bill....) or buy something that need to be installed. Additionally, the front wheels also need to be easily taken off, etc....lot of hassle in my opinion. So, I was lucky to find a really good PUP with four bike racks and have already hauled our bikes to one camping and planning to go to next in a few weeks. I know it does not help you as you already have your PUP. But some other ideas of not putting the bikes on the PUP maybe a good option you can think of. Good luck!
    MC

10. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

One advantage of a pickup as TV, chuck the bikes in the bed and go.

I think I saw it in another post here, but there's a bike rack that clamps onto a hitch or drawbar. And I was just thinking yesterday, I need to get a hitch-mount rack if I ever need to transport bikes using the Orange Crate. I have a trunk-mount carrier I bought in college (EARLY 80s) that works well with the Miata or anything with a trunk, but a minivan or that chop-back Soul could be an issue.

11. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I use the bike bunk along with a cargo rack and bike wheel carriers and like it. I installed mine "backwards" so the cargo platform hangs over the front trunk of the pup. Not sure about fitting 4 bikes that way though. In theory you could use the bike bunk, which is essentially a nice way to add a hitch receiver above the propane tanks. Then you can use any bike rack that fits in a hitch. Does end up high in the air.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-CC-275-Bike-Cargo/dp/B00KQPLJVI

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VUXP1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Ours has rails on the roof, but the factory attachments for them are stupid expensive.
    There are some on Amazon for cheap, but i have not tried them yet.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I'm not into bringing along bikes but always thought for those POPUPs that usually have a storage unit in the front like this idea would be great to use...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

WVhillbilly likes this.
  14. WVhillbilly

Wonder if this would be short enough to pull your bunks out over.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the stand for the bikes coming up from the tongue area. Yes - that would have to short enough to allow the tent bed to be pulled out over the top of it.... This then could also be another tent bed support....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. WVhillbilly

I have a nice hitch rack. Not sure that it wouldn't be ridiculously tall with this attached.
    Most of us that bike have a hitch rack, this would be a good way to utilize it.

17. WVhillbilly