Bike Rack - Great Idea or Accident Waiting to Happen - Feedback Wanted.

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by MyName, May 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MyName

MyName Active Member

I put these bike racks on my roof and strapped them down. What do you guys think? Will it damage my roof? Will it damage my canopy? I can post the larger images if you guys want. I will be leaving June 9 for my next trip.

Note the orange strap is not ripped, that's the loose end hanging down at a weird angle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

For starters, on the photo in the lower right, is the strap torn? It looks like the strap is torn, but it might be that the angle of the strap in the camera just looks like the strap is torn.

Then on to more questions
    Its great you want to take your kids bikes so they can enjoy using them. Our kids always have loved riding around the loops of campground roads for exercise. However, you also don't want a mishap on the trip to the campground.

Risks with this system
    1. you might tighten the straps so tight it breaks the canopy, or roof, which are not designed for the kind of pressure that straps can apply.
    2. the straps might rattle over bumps and loosen up if you don't tighten them tightly
    3. the whole thing might slide left to right, front to back

If this is all you can afford, I think I'd add 4+ more straps to control movement left to right, and front to back. Straps are cheap. An accident on the road is costly, maybe more costly to those following you than to yourself. I had a relative once involved in an accident where the bike came off the top. She should have just run it over. Instead she swerved, totaled her car and others around her.

If it was me I'd leave the bikes behind until I could afford a better system. Just too many risks with this system for me.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I would think about putting pieces of plywood under the rack and the tires to spread out the load. That way you can tighten the straps enough so they dont come loose.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I would run straps completely around the camper. The hooks to the frame may slip or jump out. You could use kayak straps.

813yVXWfRLL._SX425_PIcountsize-2,TopRight,0,0_SX425SY331SH20_.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. MyName

MyName Active Member

That is the end of the strap hanging loosely. Bad picture.

I like this idea

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I was going to say plywood and some foam under the racks. Agreed with lots more strapping. The front dosent seam all that well tied down. Over do it, it beats the alternative . Additionally, i think you need front and back straps so it doesn't move. In case of needing to hit the brakes in an emergency. You dont want everything to shift forward.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree about wood under the rackstand and tires. You may also want to put some leather or something on the corners of the camper to prevent rubbing off the paint. Many many years ago we just put a couple moving blankets down, strapped a few bikes on the popup roof laying down and strapped it down. Worked for many years but did lose a lot of paint where the straps rubbed and a few indentations due to bike peddels creating pressure points (Not ideal). You do risk over tightening so be a bit mindful of how tight you do the straps but the wood would help prevent the pressure points.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

The racks seem too close to the front edge. Attach the racks to pieces of plywood, dont just set them on it.
    More straps. Add at least two more- one angled back and one angled forward to prevent movement.
    Are the bikes actually attached to the racks or just kinda sitting in them? I think they should be attached some how.
    Like others have said... overkill never killed anyone!
    "When in doubt- Build it stout!"

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I would first individually strap each bike to the rack. Then do as the others said and use plywood and more straps.You might even add some 2x4 at the front to help keep the bikes from shifting around up front.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I saw this article a few years back doing it this way... Probably would be less wear and tear on the roof. You can also really tighten down better to the metal frame coming up from the tongue area...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

You could glue wood pieces (Or mount) on the front of the roof sides to sandwich the bike tires to hold them in place perhaps... You could sandwich the smaller bikes in between the large bikes... You could still gain access to your front storage thru its side doors while the bikes are on top...

I for one would never want to drill holes around the roof area. I would drill holes in the roof side panel to support some kind of tie downs across the roof... I would be afraid of tearing holes in the roof material doing what you are doing... The straps may not keep every thing from moving around... That will get very expensive for sure...

Moving every thing up to the POPUP storage lid and added steel frame from the tongue area would be the safest way IMO...

It would be a piece of cake on my setup here with the 5x8 front deck haha...

Just some thoughts from this side of the fence hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    myride, MyName and BigAl like this.
  11. MyName

MyName Active Member

Ty everyone. I think I won't do this bike idea for this trip. I greatly appreciate the feedback. I need more time to plan,build, and secure it.

12. MyName

MyName Active Member

Hi Everyone. This bike rack was my solution for the trip. I don't plan to make a mount for my pop up anymore.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

There ya go. Sometimes its better to not reinvent the wheel...

14. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

You can't get much cheaper than buying a rear-window bike rack on Craigslist. The primary disadvantage is that then you need to remove the bikes before opening the rear door.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019