bike rack on roo

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by RockyRoo, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Has anyone had any experience with mounting a bike rack into a 2 inch receiver mounted to the rear bumper of a Roo? I am considering trying it even though it voids the warranty, but have heard mixed reviews on future problems. I am looking for some real world experience to help answer this once and for all.

Jay

2. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

i have no real world experience because of all the negatives about doing this.
    the rear bumpers on ultra-lite frames are flimsy and have cheap welds that can't handle the physics of a loaded bike rack. remember, your Roo has no shocks. my bikes are too valuable to risk doing something like this.

the only successful way to do it, is to weld the receiver to the frame and bumper, with reinforcing braces.

unfortunately, this will void the frame's warranty, which is fine if yours is no longer warrantied. but you have a 2013.

a quick search of any RV forums about this, will be overwhelmingly against doing it, on any ultra-lite trailer.

it's your decision and there's nothing against the law against it. but if it damages the frame/bumper, it will not be covered.

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

If it's still under warranty, why would you ever do anything to void that warranty? There are numerous other options that will not void your warranty.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

You can put a hitch on the front of the Suburban and put the bike rack there.

5. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

I second the notion Storm Trooper suggests. I bought a Roo 233S earlier this year and struggled with how to carry the family's bikes. After looking at rear rack solutions, storing them inside the camper and a rack above the LP tanks on the front, I ended up concluding the best solution for me was to add a front receiver hitch to the truck. It provides a solid way to keep the bikes safe and more importantly, I can see the bikes at all times while towing the camper and I'm not impacting the camper's warranty. The only negatives I can say comment are the head lights are partially blocked and the bikes tend to catch more bugs. We just finished a trip recently that included the Skyline Drive Rally where we towed our Roo with bikes on the front nearly 1400 miles with no issues.

Another positive that came from the front hitch was the ability to move the trailer hitch to the front of the truck and push the trailer into the driveway. Much easier to place the camper in the exact spot I want it parked.

Good luck with finding a solution that best fits your needs.

NHeer

6. RockyRoo

Thanks NHeer, that's exactly what i was looking for, someone who actually had found a solution. I actually hadn't thought of the hitch on the front of the truck, but you definitely present some good reasons to do it.

To all the others, those are the exact reasons I HAVEN'T done it yet.

7. bubbabursk

bubbabursk none but ourselves can free our minds

Is there a reason that you can't just buy a swing down bike rack that slides into your receiver and also has a ball on it? I use this type of bike rack and have pulled a boat, camper and jet ski without problems. They are usually rated around 3500lbs and like 600 tongue weight I think .. It is kind of a pita if you need to get into the back of the vehicle with bikes on it, but other than that it works great.. I think now they're about 130 on ebay.

8. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

can't use this kind of thing with a WDH or tow a full-height trailer with such a low-rated hitch.
    fine if you're towing a popup, but not a hybrid TT.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Jay,
    This was my previous TV.
    [​IMG]

Bikes on the front, Kayaks on the roof.

10. RockyRoo

Bubbabursk, that's the kind of rack I have, Reese holds 4 bikes, but I would never try to pull the trailer with it. it's far too sloppy in the receiver.

11. RockyRoo

Lou, thanks for the pic, that definitely looks like a viable option. Now to find someone that has a receiver for the front of a 97 suburban.