Bike rack on the bumper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by BOB-ANNA-DOM, Jun 2, 2009.

1. BOB-ANNA-DOM

BOB-ANNA-DOM Member

Question, has anyone made or purchased a bike rack that mounts to the bumper of the pop up. We have a high wall so putting a bike rack on the roof would be a major pain. Thanks.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

This is something that gets brought up a lot. The general consensus is that the bumpers of most pups are too flimsy to support a rack. It would also comprimise the tow-ability of the pup, by lightening the tongue weight.

If you do a search for rear bumper and bike, you will see most of the threads.

3. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

I agree with Theseus!

It will affect your towing and how your pup handles.

Pixel

4. grandebob

grandebob New Member

My father in law to the rescue again. Never one to be told no, here is what he did.
    He got bike rack that fits in a standard receiver hitch. So he needed to mount a reciever to the back of his pop, and yes, the bumper was a bit too flimsy. So what did he do? Found a piece of aluminum the length of the bumper, and bolted it to the bumper frame. Then he mounted his receiver to it, and then put the rack into the receiver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's solid as a rock, and as long as you load the camper front heavy, no troubles.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I went through the trouble of installing a hitch, reinforcing the frame, so I could put a bike rack and bikes on the back. After towing for ~5 miles on the highway, I knew I had wasted my time. Do it if you must, but it WILL cause sway, as well as constant bobbing up and down, due to the weight shifting and leverage that the bike rack puts on the receiver you mount. The bumpers, as well as the mounts for them, are not strong enough to handle the leverage that the rack/bike(s) put on them.

6. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Even the bigger high wall campers can struggle with sway caused by a bike rack. I know of one owner who found it was a problem even though the tongue weight didn't change much. If the rack is not completely rigid (unable to move even when you corner or change lanes), it will have some degree of rocking motion and that can be transmitted to the camper.

7. BOB-ANNA-DOM

BOB-ANNA-DOM Member

thanks for all the feed back. The sway factor is huge and being my pup is 4000 lbs It doesn't need any additional weight to cause swaying

8. my3kids

my3kids New Member

What about mounting the bike rack on the front of the vehicle? Not all TVs qualify but your Ford Expedition does quite nicely. Go eTrailer for example and look for a front receiver hitch. It should be a direct bolt on in place of the front tow hooks. You may have to drill one additional hole on each side and fish the bolt through the frame. eTrailer has detailed instructions and video. Once you have the front receiver mounted then you have lots and lots of options. That what I did with my 2006 Tundra. The same bike rack that you would normally use on the rear receiver you can now use on the front.

Going this route avoids the whole sway/flimsy rear bumper drama. I wouldn't worry too much about additional front weight unless you have maybe 6 bikes.

Hope this helps™,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    2007 Fleetwood Saratoga
    2006 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab
    2008 Nissan Armada

9. aminyard

aminyard New Member

my3kids - any pictures of the Tundra? I have a Tundra and would love to see the end result.

10. my3kids

my3kids New Member

No, sorry I do not. (If and when I take a pict I can send it to you.) The front hitch tucks up right underneath the front bumper cover. It is very discreet. I think about 2 different manufacturers make a front hitch for the Tundra. Mine is made by Curt Mfg and the part number 31180. I think I got it from Amazon (who knew) for a killer price of $129 and that includes shipping.

The additional benefit is I can more easily finesse my PUP by driving via the front hitch as opposed to backing it up. Seeing the PUP in front of you is a so much easier that backing it up. Just make sure you use an extra long ball mount (eTrailer part #80233) or receiver extension (Hidden Hitch 80305 extension). I have both.

Ray

11. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The first year I had my Niagara, I added a receiver hitch to the back bumper. I had to reinforce the bumper and add frame supports. I carried four bikes, two adults and two kids. It made it through the first day of a two day trip before I took the bikes off and rearranged the cargo to put them in and on top of the TV. The sway was unnerving. Since then, the bikes have always been on the TV.

12. love2speed

love2speed New Member

This was the answer to my bike problem works like a charm with my 4 bike rack...no messing with the PUP top or rear bumper!

http://store.uhaul.com/Hitch_balls__mounts/Ball_mounts/Multi-Use_Ball_Mount

13. Tech98

Tech98 Cottage Grove, MN

Hi all, I have a '98 Coleman Mesa that has a reciever that is built into the rear bumper. I haven't yet tried to use a bike rack on the back of the camper, but I am wondering what good is the receiver if you can't use it for a bike rack without incurring all of the sway problems? The camper tracks beautifully right now, am I asking for trouble with a bikerack? [?]

14. NYcamper

NYcamper It is what it is.

Bob, what you dont want to put the bikes on top of the pup? Is there a height problem involved? LOL!

Tom has a bike rack on the camper hitch. He had to mod/lower the car hitch to accomodate the height of the bike hitch (it would drag). I will take a picture of it when we put it on next.

15. gcandcc

gcandcc Member

My Hemlock came with a proffessionally done bike hitch connected to the back bumper...one of the reasons I wanted the pup.

I pack carefully and keep most of the weight toward the front. It's not a problem. You can see pictures in my webshots.

16. gcandcc

gcandcc Member

Oops...maybe this will do it..

http://community.webshots.com/user/cynthiacook777

17. Viking From ME

Viking From ME New Member

Does anyone know if they make the multi- use ball mount in an inch and a quarter?

18. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Thanks for all the info, as always been thinking of mounting bike rack on PU bumper and now I think no a good idea. [:D]

19. marobrown

marobrown New Member

We have had our pup for 3 years now and after alot of thinking we decided to go with a receiver hitch on the front of the TV with a bike rack. I did not want to try to beef up the bumper because it is certanly flimsy, Also one of the mounting points for the lift cables is right in the middle of the frame where the hitch would be mounted.

After this winter when I found a hole in the pups roof and saw how thin the roof material was I was weary of putting them on the roof of the pup.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]