Bike rack options

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Loraura, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Loraura

Loraura New Member

We just bought a N2U 2007 Rockwood 1640 LTD as our first PUP. Out primary purpose for the purchase was to take it to various locations for mountain bike racing. Perviously we spent 2 weekends driving back and fourth sometimes twice in a weekend to preride and race. The camper will let us stay on location for many races, and very close by for the others.

Now... Bike rack options...

We CAN take the wheels off and put them in the tow vehicle. Benefits there are that they are safe and secure without having to go through the trouble of locking them on to the rack. Drawbacks are that I have to lay a seat down to do this, so if we take more than our son with us, I don't know how we would fit bikes + gear + kiddo.

We already have a hitch mount rack that can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

I saw this adaptor that allows you to add a hitch to the rear bumper of a camper:

[​IMG]

I thought, FANTASTIC! For 50 bucks or so i can just add this on, and use my existing hitch mount rack!

But upon closer inspection of the rear of my camper... it would appear that the spare tire is going to be in the way. I can't even SEE the rear bumper at the center of the camper, I only see the spare tire, and some weird mounting contraption that I don't know what it's purpose is.

Stock picture (not our camper) but shows the spare tire placement:
    [​IMG]

Has anyone used one of these adaptors on a pop-up sucessfully? Did you have to take the spare tire off?

Lastly, I've seen people put roof mounts on popup campers. Does this damage the roof? How does it effect towing with bikes on the roof?

I'd love to hear some advice from others that regularly tow bikes with their popups.

I guess as a last resort we could get a roof mount rack for the tow vehicle, but that's going to run us $$$$$ that I hate to spend when we already have a perfectly good hitch mount rack, and frankly, I'm not sure I can lift my mountain bike to the roof of our tow vehicle.

2. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

One problem with mounting a bike rack on the rear bumper of a PUP is that you may look in your rear view mirror and see the sorry sight of your bikes and the bumper laying on the road. PUP rear bumpers are not known for great strength. You'd almost certainly have to do some "beefing up" of the system. Another problem is that you could disturb the fore-aft weight distribution and cause sway, which could be extremely dangerous.

There are people here who have done various types of PUP roof-mounted racks for bikes. Some are permanently fastened to the roof and some are removable. In that case you have to be sure that you don't exceed the roof's weight capacity.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We carried bikes on our first pup for many years. We had a home made set up (sorry no pics) and used straps to secure the bikes. Never did any damage. Do a search for bike rack mods on here and I am sure you can find something.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't usually take the bikes, but wanted an option so we could. We ended up with a Thule carrier that attaches to the back gate on the TV. It will make it interesting if we need to get into the shortage area on the road. Once in camp, we can secure the bikes to something, and the carrier can be stored in the roof top box . This style rack gives us the option to take the bikes to a TH somewhere other than near the campground.
    Problems with adding a rack to the pup bumper are limits as to what it will carry, and extending the back of the pup; dragging the carrier and maybe the bikes on the ground if the clearances are not large enough in some road cuts, etc. would not be pretty. I've seen a double hitch, but again, support limits and clearances don't seem to be reassuring.
    There are various threads here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=55.0

6. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

We have one like this. It worked well, but we would only recommend it if you have a smaller sized camper. Once we upgraded to a larger pop up, we ceased using it because it makes your towing profile too long (I don't know how else to describe it!). Created more sway, the farther the camper's back bumper was from the TV. Hope this helps!

7. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that our newer pop-up has rails on the roof. DH rigged up a Thule bike rack to clamp onto the rails. It's incredibly easy to load/unload the bikes and locks too. It's a much better system than the previous rack that was part of the hitch.

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

9. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Yep, this has been discussed many times in the Cargo Carriers/Bike Rack forum: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=55.0

Essentially, PUP bumpers are ornamental rather than structural. Bike racks put a lot of torque on whatever the hitch is mounted to.

Good luck.

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I have this very hitch.

[​IMG]

Unless you have a very long draw bar, three adult (or even child) bikes will push into the area of the manual tongue jack if it is mounted in the A-frame area of the PUP. With only two bikes, I find I have to load the bikes on first, then back in and hitch up. Cranking the hitch up or down requires flipping the handle over every turn as it hits parts of the bike frame or wheels or crank or...

I also found that going up a long, steep drive will a) produce a lot of hot exhaust from the tow vehicle and b) this hitch places the bicycle tire right in line with the tail pipe. You can imagine the surprise I got when going up a hill and hearing "BOOM", pulling over to find that all of the tires were ok on the TV and PUP. It didn't take long, as the smell of burning rubber quickly pointed out the location.

At first, I loved this bike rack. Now...not so much. It's great for hauling bikes around town. It is very fast mounting and unmounting it while leaving the hitch undisturbed. I am looking for alternative now.

11. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Hmmm... I'm worried now.

I'm worried about adding additional tongue weight.

It sounds like the back bumper is not a good idea.

That leaves me with two options:
    1)Inside my vehicle. Uses up cargo space, have to take the wheels off, more chance of something getting bent or damaged on the bike.
    2)On the roof of my car or camper.

Anyone used these?

http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Basic idea is super strong suction cups holding the bike rack to glass or metal. I think this means I'll have to put it on my TV roof and not the PUP roof, as my PUP roof has a little bit of texture on it that I think might interfere with the suction.

12. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

13. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

Bondebond: 'BOOM' [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    thanks, I needed the laugh this morning.

14. taxguy

taxguy Sandusky, OH

When we had our pup, we used a Valley 75090 dual receiver - same idea as Boudreaux. A quick google search of "valley 75090" will result in several pics. Our bike rack holds 5 and we had no issues.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

MIPeaceDudeCamper, if your tail pipe comes out somewhere else and your front A-frame area is relatively clear in the front, it might work wonderfully for you. I really like it and use it a lot when not hitched up. I wish it worked well for when I was towing, which is the main time I am hauling several bikes.

And I sure didn't want to hear "BOOM" when going up a long hill. I did a "Am I shot" :huh: check first, looked around inside and ruled out anyone having a problem inside the TV. Was baffled for the 10 seconds it took to check the TV and PUP tires. [:!] It got real freaky for a couple more of seconds until I honed in on the bike tire. [XX(] It even cooked the fabric spoke liner inside the wheel.

16. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I would strongly recommend a Yakima or Thule roof rack system for your Acura. They make lockable racks to secure your bikes and with them on the roof, they are out of the way and can be unloaded at your convenience. As long as you know which components are needed for your vehicle, they can usually be found much cheaper as used on craigslist or ebay. If you go to Yakima.com you can use their fit guide to detemine which components you need.

17. Dweeb

Dweeb Member

I'm having the same dilemma- I'm a MTB'r also. Besides carrying on the roof of the TV, I was considering a tongue mounted/fork-type rack but am concerned with additional tongue weight. I will need to get an actual tongue weight before I can decide this as an option.

The Seasucker looks pretty cool and I have seen one in use on the highway. Wow what a perceptional device--- scares me. LOL

Scan http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=55.0 for some innovative options based on similar TV and camper size as yours.

18. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

I have the Sportrack (now Thule) Tent-Trailer Rack on top of the Pup, with some car-rooftop bike racks attached to it. It works great-- no trouble at all.
    I have put as many as four bikes on top of the pup (its roof weight limit is 300 lbs so four bikes and the racks still come well under that.) It's not too difficult to get the bikes on top of the Pup. I've done it alone but it is easier with a helper.

This thread has pics of the Tent Trailer rack:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=58876.msg527194#msg527194

19. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

20. Livin2Camp

Livin2Camp New Member

I have the same carrier as StarCraft Away...never a problem with it. After we unhitch the pup, the bike carrier swings out of the way so we can unload the suv. The carrier stays attached to the hitch bar, I don't tow anything else but the pup so when I'm done towing the pup, hitch bar with carrier goes in the shed. Also easy to use when we bike on the weekends...attach hitch with carrier to suv, put on the bikes and off we go. :)

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64955.html