Bike rack options

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Loraura, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Ashman

Ashman New Member

We had researched this quite extensively and just when I thought I would have to engineer something, I found the attached on Amazon after seeing it on a Washington State PUP while camping! The type Starcraft Away shows is great as long as you have traditional frames on your bikes. Newer Mountain Bikes are getting creative with the tubing especially on my children's bikes. The wheels do mark the top but Mr. Clean looks after that problem. We are very happy with this rack.

http://www.amazon.com/ProRac-RVPB-020-1-2-Bike-Carrier-Trailer/dp/B000NRZ2V2/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360092923&sr=1-3&keywords=Tent+bike+rack

We did have trouble getting the Rack in Canada (Amazon will not ship here). We Bought it from an Edmonton Retailer and had it Shipped to Vancouver! Very easy to install and it looks good. Doubles as a towel rack when parked :)

[PU] [TV]

2. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

We have a similar rack on our Viking. I found it on Craigslist for $100. Holds 6 bikes. Great solution for us.

3. gixer

gixer New Member

WOW
    The price they want for that rack is threw the roof. I have made a few already for like 62 bucks each and I thought that was more than I wanted to spend. If look at it I am sure most can build it and find most of the stuff they need and keep the cost down.
    I am lucky enough to have a welder and plasma cutter but you dont need it to build this rack.
    Over 300.00 is just crazy.

4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I've thought about trying to mount a rack system to the roof of the P'up, but I've read on here too many stories of the Coleman roofs such as on our trailer starting to sag in the middle. I'm not sure I want to take the chance of adding weight to the roof, and possibly causing sag problems.

We run a bit different problem than many of you, as we have recumbent trikes. For now, when we want to go somewhere with the P'up and both trikes, we load my wife's in the back of the Pathfinder, and put mine on the roof rack. We did this for a ride down south of town last October, and we plan on taking the trikes with us when we go back up to Utah to visit the in-laws this fall. There's a cool looking bike path along one of the rivers just a little ways from where my in-laws live, and we'd love to pedal it.

Here's the photo from the trip last October:
    [​IMG]
    To the left is my blue Catrike Villager, and to the right is my wife's orange Terratrike Rambler. Yes, they're fun and comfortable to ride.

5. blackbriar

blackbriar Its all about the food!

[PUC] Try this, it works great on our Livin Lite pop up http://www.sixnall.com/index.
    It holds four bikes no problem and it light weight and flexible to your needs.

6. billangiep

billangiep Member

We were lucky our camper came with roof tracks, found most everything I needed to put it together off of craigslist at a reasonable cost .

[​IMG]

7. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] When I was young my dad had a special rack made to mount on the front of his TV and held a 100 cc Honda . He had to mount fog lights on the front of the hitch as the bike blocked the headlamps. The rack slid into 2 of the 1-1/2" inch square mounts and then a pin was put in place much like the rear 2" or 1-1/2" trailer hitches of today. This rack would hold 1,000 pounds and kept the front tires firmly on the ground (not that it needed too) Problem solved as the front receiver tubes were permanently welded to the frame of the TV. this allowed us to hook up the camper (pop up then later a TT) without concern about the motorbike. Everything else was the same as usual. Since he did this to a Chevy Suburban, I don't think total weight was ever a concern.

8. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

There are many options for bike racks.

We were going to have a mount put on the back bumper as well... something like this http://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-bumper-mount-bike-carrier-p/92-1328.htm

It goes around the spare tire.

However, due to the incompetence of our salesman, it did not get done... which turned out to be a good thing.
    We later found out that the rear bumper, as aformentioned, is not that sturdy on PUPs. Also four bikes may add too much weight to the back of the trailer.

So we ended up getting a Blue Ox rack that fits between the TV and the PUP... we had to purchase an extenstion that fits into the receiver... the Blue ox then mounts to that and the ball hitch goes into the back of it. We had no issues with sway on our trip from Minnesota to the Black Hills and then onto Denver and back.

Here is the only photo I have from our trip with the bikes loaded up... will get better one this summer.
    [​IMG]
    bike rack pic by Navyboy2011, on Flickr