Bike Rack Recommendation

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by SongCamper, May 7, 2019.

1. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

I've got a Rockwood 2516G and we'd like to be able to take 1-3 bikes with us. Does anyone have a bike rack and love it? Any recommendations?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is almost the best bike rack for a popup camper. As it attaches to the a frame of your camper and less likely to get in the way of your hitch. Downside is it's expensive.

Pro Rac Systems Inc. Tent Trailer 4 - Bike Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2KN22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7FI0CbK7WRAN1

I personally only have a couple bikes and fortunate my bikes for the most part don't get too much in the way of my hitch I can get away with using a hatch back bike rack. Not many can though.

Hoser, myride and SongCamper like this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We have one that I think is no longer made... I got it off of Craigslist. Closest thing made to day is the Sixnall which I think would be a good option. We just ratchet strap ours down to the camper frame... ours holds four bikes, we started with 2 adult bikes, a 20" boys bike and a smaller boy's bike, and now we carry 4 adult bikes.

I definitely did not want something where you have to remove the wheel to carry the bike. When we carried boy's bikes that would have required a wrench even.

SongCamper likes this.
  4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Hands down the best bike rack out there is the 1Up. All aluminum, zero plastic fits a huge range of bikes and is crazy stable.

SongCamper likes this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

ProRac. ...hands down

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Not sure it's quite that cut and dry lol

7. benandbobbi

benandbobbi Member

8. PoPuP Pistol

PoPuP Pistol New Member

I tried putting a rear hitch on my Fleetwood Tacoma with the normal hitch rack and two small kids bikes. I thought I might still have enough tongue weight but not so. Trailer sway was bad.

So I wouldn't recommend that.

SongCamper and LittleBrother like this.
  9. davido

davido Active Member

I have that same trailer, and installed a SportRack SR1020 on it. They sell for around $150. Once you get it installed, it is very sturdy. However, I did have to visit the hardware to get better through-bolts and washers for the clamps that hold the crossbars on the pillars. No big deal; $5 bucks.

On this rack I've installed four fork-mount bike racks, and have easily carried those four bikes. A couple times I've used it for carrying a kayak and a couple bikes.

Its advertised capacity is 200 pounds, evenly distributed. So unless you're carrying four eBikes, it's as strong as you could ever need.

When installing it, I found it useful to seal all the way around the pillars with silicon to thwart moisture intrusion. Literally, an ounce of prevention. ;)

My trailer has an air conditioner installed, so I put the racks toward the forward part of the roof. I seem to recall mounting the first crossbar about thirteen inches aft of the front of the roof, and the second crossbar about 33 or 34 inches behind the first one. I set the distance between the crossbars to be the same as the distance I have my cars' crossbars at. That spacing works with my bike racks and also with my car top cargo carrier.

SongCamper likes this.
  10. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I've been looking for a sixnall - looks like they are out of business....

11. LittleBrother

LittleBrother New Member

I was considering the Pro-Rac as the only option for me until I found the Lippert Jack-It bike rack. Only holds two bikes, but it's with the wheels on and they now have an adapter to use the rack in your 2" receiver so you can load the bikes directly on the TV after you get to camp. Selling on Amazon right now for about $200. Only drawback I see is your tongue jack can't have a top (vertical) handle; need a motorized or front-mount (horizontal) crank.

SongCamper likes this.