Bike rack set up (with harbor freight items)

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by jaystarcraft2407, Aug 22, 2014.

1. jaystarcraft2407

jaystarcraft2407 New Member

http://m.harborfreight.com/multi-use-ball-mount-66966.htmlorry I should have taken some pics before I tore it all down. I'll try to throw the bike rack back on. I seen a lot of questions on the Web about using the multipurpose hitch receiver and a hitch mount bike rack. We took our 2004 starcraft 2407 out for our second time. (Bought it in may). We were going about 800 miles round trip and wanted to be able to take our bikes. Mine, DW and our 5 year olds. His bike is small enough to put in the back of our durango (2005). I read a lot about mounting a hitch receiver on the camper bumper and all the possibilities of messing up tongue weight distribution. So I did not want to go that rought. I did not want to spend $200+ on a swagman camper rooftop unit. So I bought the multipurpose hitch receiver from harbor freight and there 2 place bike rack. I assembled the bike rack and mounted it all up on the receiver on the truck. The receiver extends out a lot more than a standard receiver and with the amount that the bike rack stuck out it was to much. My propane tank sits very close to the leveling jack. There isn't much extension of the camper frame. So I flipped the two bike holders that y I u set the bikes on toward the front instead ofto the rear as normal. It ended up working. I couldn't fold the rack down much when it was all set up because it would hit the leveling jack. But it was enough to get the bikes on. The rubber mounts and the velcro straps on the rack are cheap and only used to hold the bikes in place while I ran a ratchet strap from one of my safety chain holes on my hitch, over the bikes to a strap hole that is one the corner of the verticle and horizontal bars. ( pretty sure it's for bracing but worked perfect). With the ratchet strap tight the bikes were pretty secure. I also ran another strap from the bike closets to the rear hatch through the rims behind the verticle bar and through the other rims to the bike closet to the hatch just to keep them tight to the verticle bar. This kept go space between the bikes and the rear hatch. Also I did not have a problem (that I noticed) with turning and bikes crashing. It's a little bit of a hassle to mount bikes cause you have to hook up to camper before putting bike rack on receiver but for $85 total for rack and receiver it worked great for 800 miles.

2. jaystarcraft2407

The harbor freight numbers are 66966 for the receiver and 98019 for the bike rack.

3. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

I got the same bike rack and I welded a receiver tube between the bumper and frame of my pup. It works great and really stiffened up the bumper.

4. jaystarcraft2407

I think I'm gonna do that for next summer and add to mounts for coolers coming off the front of the frame. I'm gonna have them higher so the coolers are level with the top of the pup. And have them so they can swing out on a hinge so I can leave the coolers on them and pull the bunk out.

5. jaystarcraft2407

I would post some picsof the receiver and rack but Ii don't know how

6. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Can you post a pic? I really want to do that to my pup as well. Thanks.