1. JNDpopup

JNDpopup New Member

We have a 99 Coleman Utah. We love bringing our bikes camping but they take up so much room in the truck bed. Bought a receiver that goes around our tiny flimsy bumper...did not go well. We ended up using the receiver with bikes but had to strap down to camper to stabilize. Do you guys know a good bike rack for pop up? Is that Hollywood tow n go any good? I have the abs roof. We tow with an '03 avalanche if that matters. Help please :)

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

3. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Went through the same process. Had a palomino pinto....Now a Coleman Utah. I can attest to the design and functionality of the Pro Rac system. Easy to set up....Easy to use. If price is an issue there are many examples of homemade race using the same concept on the portal. Gaurantee to won't go wrong with that system.

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

You mentioned you have a truck. Is putting a hitch on the front an option? Definitely my preference since my back apparently prefers to lift as little as possible. ;)

bikeonfront.JPG

xxxapache likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I was just about to suggest a front hitch...

6. JNDpopup

JNDpopup New Member

Myride---does your Coleman Utah have the storage bin? This rack won't put too much pressure on it will it?

7. JNDpopup

JNDpopup New Member

Same here with the back Yes maybe a front hitch would be a cheaper option...I will look into both ideas. Thanks y'all

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

JND,
    none at all, with it positioned properly the rear tires rest on the roof edge, my grand daughters (MUCH smaller bike) sits on the trunk but is lightweight and strapped down doesn't bother the trunk lid at all. Just remember to sit the prorac crossbar back as far as you can. I have dual propane and a battery on my tongue and still managed to bring crossbar within an inch of trunk. That way most if not all rear bike wheels rest on roof.

Have not looked at front rack.....don't like anything in front of vehicle (personal preference).

9. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

agree with the front hitch. Ive got to order mine soon.

10. Whopper14

Whopper14 Member

We settled on the ProRAC for our Clipper. Very happy with it, easy to use and stable. Be sure to use rachet straps.

11. myride

myride Well-Known Member

X2!

12. 1847quincy

1847quincy If it doesn't matter in eternity-it doesn't matter

10 or so years ago we bought a special bumper mount bike rack that was made especially to work on the rear bumper of our 94 Coleman Destiny Royale. It is quite sturdy. We never attached it to our camper. Still like new in box, although the box is a bit sad from being in our garage for years. We live in Columbia SC. If I could get $70 for it, and someone could pick it up, it would be yours.

13. ozzmanbossman

ozzmanbossman New Member

I just wanted to reply to a very specific question you asked here because I have recently done an extensive search on Hollywood Tow'n Go. It seems like it is a very popular rack especially for pop up campers. It only holds three bikes though, however, every review I have read for it is very positive. It is not that expensive either.
    Anyway, hopefully this will help anybody that reads this thread in the future.

If you want to read a review I have written for Hollywood HR135 (Tow'N Go), you can read it here.
    Happy camping:)

BigAl likes this.
  14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I use one very similar made by swagman. It works fine, though it cuts your turning radius down.

15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

It has the storage bin and no....tires ride on popup roof not bin. If tires on the roof concern you, they sell a tire pad that will sit between tire and roof but I never used them ...with no ill effects.

16. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

This is a vise grip style bike rack, it clamps onto the 2x2 tube. I use to have it on the extended hitch but couldn't get into the truck back without taking it off. This works much better, the rack is easily removed for upping the popup. Eventually it will be welded. The battery is removed, but there is room for it. bike rack_1641.JPG bike rack_1647.JPG bike rack_1648.JPG

17. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I like that bike rack, can you leave a link on where to get one?

18. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I have the same carrier. That U-bolt that is part of the clamp mechanism broke on the first trip.

I didn't lose the carrier but when I discovered the issue, I removed the clamp mechanism and thru-bolted it.

Keep a close watch on that clamp.

19. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

This manufacturer no longer is in business or makes this but a very similar one is made by Allen, also at trailer.com is another:
    Curt Clamp-On 3 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing
    Item # C18013

20. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

MyName likes this.