1. rlhul6

rlhul6 Member

Was woundering of everybodys thoughts on this and exprenaces on this. If iam able with my [PU] and [TV] i was thinking of getting a dual tow hitch so i can put a bike rack on the hitch. Using something like this http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufacturing-45792-Receiver-Extender/dp/B00371VLAC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YT1KD7X54DFK36JTDPA

If everything as far as clreance's and weight's pan out do you guys have any reasons why this would or would not be a better reason to carry bikes instead of getting a roff mounted system on the [PU]. The one thing that worrys me on the roof system is that i have a A/C unit on it and iam afraird of the weight thing. [PU] is a 2006 fleetwood Cobolt with the [TV] a 2006 Grand Cherokee. Thanks for the help!!!

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

3. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I had concidered that for a while myself, but one thing I didn't like about it was I felt it would obstruct the view out the back window. I like to be able to see the PUP out the back as well as in the sideview mirrors, but that's just my opinion. One thing to keep in mind, maybe.

4. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

My 4runner is so loaded already I can't see out the back when we are headed camping. I can't see anything but the ac anyway so Ive gotten used to using the side mirrors. But i did get towing mirrors to put on so that helps.

5. rlhul6

rlhul6 Member

the reason i cant use that one is that i need a 4inch drop just wanted to use my ball setup already

6. Popupbenji

Popupbenji Member

I have a prorack system on the front of mine seems to work great up to 5 bikes the only thing I don't like is the fact that you have to glue the tire trackers on the roof I will mod something that I can remove

instead look o
    great great

A family that camps together are happy campers

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Does your Cherokee's bumper have a hole for a trailer ball? If so and you don't carry more than 3 bikes, you could consider a Swagman ball hole mount rack.

8. LeftOne

LeftOne Mark, Shana, McKinzi, Lake, Tucker, Dog (Yankee)

Wow, that's it? I thought this thread would be huge.
    I have been considering a reciever tube on the rear bumper of the PUP. Five bikes is a lot of weight back there I know, [?:~{] but I plan to work out the weight distribution by adding mods to the front.
    Thoughts?
    Experiences?

9. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

I built an exoskeleton rack for my bikes and canoe that quickly removes before set up. I can carry 4 bikes and a canoe on top, centered over the axle without bearing any weight on the roof. It mounts to the tongue and rear bumper mounts (I reinforced the bumper mounts to the frame). I made mine out of aluminum tubing, but it could be made from light gauge steel tubing if weight isn't too much of a concern. (my axle is on the light side...being changed this year)

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Personsly, I wouldn't recomend it. Not just for the weight distribution and towing problems associated with that, but also the pup's frame is not heavy enough or made to carry that kind of weight bouncing off the back.

11. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We have been using a similar one by Blue Ox and it has worked great! But now have a truck instead of SUV.... so not sure if will use rack this year.

12. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I used the dual hitch the OP mentioned but I did not like the fact that I didn't have the needed clearance I needed when turning the TV as the bikes and camper were hitting each other so I returned it. I am having the hitch welded to the frame of the camper on the back side because the bumper will not support the weight of the bikes. Because my camper is a low rider we need to mod it in order to work and be able to raise the hitch a little.

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Checkout eTrailer. They have a great selection of hitches. You might find the duel you need with the proper drop.

Make sure you use the link above or their banner here on the site so PUP gets credit for any sales. It helps to keep us running. :)

14. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

We have a tongue rack that holds 6 bikes. With four kids its the only solution for us.

[​IMG]

15. SubaruWx

SubaruWx New Member

canoe2fish - I'd love to see pics of this. I'm thinking about building something similar.

16. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

Hi MD Saga, great looking rig! That rack looks like it might work for me as well. What brand is it? Do the bikes bounce at all? Have you noticed any damage to the roof of your PUP?

17. johnsonr

johnsonr New Member

MD Saga, I'd be interested in knowing more about it as well. I have a Ford Escape and just bought a trailer. I already have the hitch mount bike rack. My bike rack has a hole to put a trailer ball on it rated to 2000lb/200lb which my trailer is under but I don't want to trust my $10k+ trailer to a $200 bike rack. I might look at the hardware in the original post on this thread.

I have four bikes. I have also seen spare tire mount or bumper mount setups. I wonder if there is a way to put two on the front of the trailer and two on the back so the balance is over the trailer tires.

18. medicmike5969

medicmike5969 Been an Apache owner since 1991 - 2nd owner

19. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Let me check the brand later tonight. I got it off of craigslist. I used tie downs and bungees and they don't bounce around much. Tires will leave some black marks on the roof, but they wash off.

20. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

The adapters to run two receivers will deplete your towing capacity drastically, as well as your tongue weight capacity. Be sure you're within the ranges before proceeding.

I'd go with a Thule roof mounted system on your tow vehicle.. Having seen roof rot on several PUPs, you couldn't pay me to drill holes in one for a roof rack...If they do not come with the Thule rails built in as some Fleetwood/Colemans did, They most likely aren't structured in a way to properly handle the weight.