1. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Here's a photo of my home built rack, works great and cheaper than a store bought rack. Easy build with just hand tools. Parts list and additional photos are on my website, click on the little camera icon under my state flag.
    [​IMG]

2. LeftOne

LeftOne Mark, Shana, McKinzi, Lake, Tucker, Dog (Yankee)

Yes, Canoe2fish, please post some pics of this. i may be interested in this as i could use the cartop carrier too and eliminate this whole issue.

3. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Internet was down for a while. Here is a better pic of the rack. Sticker on it says "High Marks 6-Packer". Not sure if they are still in business.

[​IMG]

4. jmunz

jmunz Member

What about Trunk Mounter Racks? I have not heard much about these on the thread. I wouldn't worry about clearance as I would with an extended hitch and nothing on the Roof of the PUP. I really would like to take our four bikes but come across to many con's with each option mentioned. Would love to have a hitch rack but based on comments about weight and clearance really concern me. I am strongly opposed to putting anythign on the PUP roof except the huge AC. So the third choice I know of would be the Trunk Rack. The cons would be, no access to the TV back and limited view.What else am I missing/ Opinions as to why this would be a pain in the ass or not work at all?
    Thanks,
    Looking for a safe and relativly cheaper solution. Been loking for some time now..... [RTM]

5. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I have seen a few bike racks mounted to the front of the TV using a hitch. Has anyone used this type?

6. LeftOne

LeftOne Mark, Shana, McKinzi, Lake, Tucker, Dog (Yankee)

I think for a front mount rack, you really have to have the right TV. I could see a pickup, a large SUV, or even a full size van. I have a mini van that drags the curb when parking. if i put a receiver on the front, we would end up knocking the teeth out of our head, because we couldn't see over the top of the bikes to tell where the curb is, when that hitch hits the curb instead.
    this would be a fantastic option in the right situation, just not for mine.

this could be the next piece of my solution though.
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%206-bike.htm
    pricey though.

this could be good for some of you also, in the right situation.
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/review-totem-pole-rack-by-upright-designs

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

For what many of these solutions cost, you could go with the tried and true rooftop (on the tow vehicle) Thule or Yakima setup. You'd need a small stool (I keep 1 step stool in the truck) in some cases to get the bikes up there, but I have always done that rather than have any bikes touching the roof of my campers. Unless they had the built in Thule tracks like some of the Fleetwood/Colemans, in which case, I used those.

8. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Next time I have it set up, I'll snap some photos of what I have done so far. I'm in the midst of thinking up a redesign so I have the option to carry a 12' or 14' boat on top. Thinking of modular design so we can take bikes, canoes, kayaks or boat and motor depending on the nature of the trip.

9. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Not an option for us. We have already have a cargo box up on the roof and looking to add a kayak carrier.

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I once had a cargo basket, and 8 bike trays on the roof of a standard (not Grand) Cherokee. It can be done. Personally, I'd rather move storage items around to do away with the storage box than have any bikes touching the roof of my pup. [8D]

Up to you.

11. smw526

smw526 Member

Don't know if this thread is still active or not, but thought I'd add my two cents. I have a 2002 Suburban but I don't think there is enough clearance between it and the PuP to mount a rack on the hitch or on the back of the vehicle. I looked a lot at the pup mounted ones and you guys out there have done some pretty amazing work. I just decided that I did not want to put anything on the roof of my new pup, or have to take the front tires off and on (don't have the quick releases), so that left the roof rack on the TV as my final option. I checked my manual and the roof system is rated for 200 lbs. With only 3 bikes to worry about that's not an issue.

So I ordered these today from eTrailer.com:

[​IMG]

S64720
    Upright Roof Bike Carrier - 3 @ $46.80ea = $140.40
    Shipping: UPS Ground Shipping: $29.74
    Free Shipping: ($29.74)
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $140.40

Great price compared to some of the other options, especially since I already have the roof rack on the TV.

Will let you know how they work, if anyone is interested.

12. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I actually purchased and now selling a "towable bike rack". It is a hitch mount that also has a ball mount on it rated for 3500 lbs. I didn't realize when I bought it on craigslist that it was a straight mount and I need a 2 inch drop. I ended up getting a sleeve mount rack that mounts to the draw bar. If you already have 3 inches of clearance you don't need a longer drawbar. On amazon it's listed misspelled as "Sleev" mount. There's also some clamp on types that will work but you have to take the hitch off to put on or take off. The sleeve mount has a bracket that stays there but doesn't interfere with my hatch on my TV.
    [​IMG]

13. Ryanincc

14. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

We've been using this exact same dual-mount model from Amazon for 3 years now and have found it's a great way to carry bikes. I have 2 bikes and a large cargo box mounted on crossbars on the popup's roof already, so this dual-hitch item is great for the bike rack carrying the kids' bikes. The ONLY downside to it is that you have to mount the rack and bikes after you hitch up the trailer. That doesn't leave a ton of room to move around or get the bikes on, but once you figure out the best way for the bikes to stack side-by-side to each other it's really not that bad. I have never yet experienced turning radius problems with this receiver and like you, purchased it because I didn't want to compromise the tongue weight capacity of the receiver anymore than need-be. This is at least a few inches shorter than a standard dual-receiver that extends out several inches further. Apply some basic physics taking into account the extra several inches from a dual-hitch rack extender and I could see there being a dramatic decrease in tongue weight capacity.

I wouldn't want to use this setup for adult bikes because frankly they're more cumbersome and we would start running into turning radius issues at some point, or at least get closer to them. It'd also be harder to load them. Meanwhile, it works great and is still significantly cheaper than a home-built ProRac style setup.

15. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Curious if anyone has used this setup? I have no problems getting my bikes to the site, since my camper has a front cargo deck. But once we arrive on site, no way to transport from one location to another. Was going mountain biking, but the trail was 7 miles from campsite.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64955.html

16. Ryanincc

I'm pretty sure that one is just like the one I posted about above. I highly recommend!

17. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

As manager of test department for major OE vehicle maker I have possible concern with these.

Simply they induce added bending moment onto the tow vehicle frame that was not tested for during that vehicle durability (4=post durability, vehicle tow durability, etc).
    (your 350lbs or 500lbs tounge load down induces a bending moment onto the vehicle, this greatly increases that by making the equation M = F * L, L longer)
    Nobody but those inside each OE truly knows the margin of each car to their 9-10-11 durability cycles and judgement made that the frame passes DVP&R.

Use at your own risk, and surely if using these it's prudent then to lessen the tongue load in accord to the increase in bending moment transferred to the frame.

During development, whether CAE simulation or actual physical testing cracks are detected during testing and countermeasures applied, like re-design of the hitch/frame interface, strenth reinf patch, etc.
    However, that is too "std" ball hitch receiver style that extends a typical length rearward of the hitch pin location.

I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm of people considering these, just have to point out the risks, and each of you determine if you want to accept that or not.
    If used very infrequently then maybe no issue, however if used extensively then the duty cycle usage becomes a factor.
    [​IMG]

18. Ryanincc

19. smw526

smw526 Member

So we got back last Friday from our 5 day outing to Pismo Beach, CA., and these things worked great! It is obviously a bit more effort to get the bikes onto the roof as opposed to the PuP or TV hitch mount, but it wasn't all that difficult. Locked them in with the down bar grapple, and fastened the tire straps. About a 450 mile round trip and we didn't even know they were up there! The only additional restraint I used was to add a bungee cord between the two bikes to minimize side to side swaying. These things worked awesome for my needs, and at a great price!

20. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Thanks for the update!

Having worked at a bike shop for 15 years, and seen many imitation racks fail at the worst of times (is there a good time for them to fail?), I will say that there's a reason the Thule, Yakima, and other brands are often more than double the cost. Part may be due to the name, but the other part has a lot to do with quality. Should not have to use anything but what is in the box to mount and carry a bike.

That said, let us know how these hold up, and glad that you have found a solution. We use upright carriers (Yakima) on the roof of our Expedition, and though it's a pain to get them up there, it's the best solution we have come up with, and allows me to use a cargo tray on the back of the HTT instead of having a bike rack bouncing around back there.