1. AlisaB

AlisaB Facebook: Middle Tennessee Camping Group

How do you guys handle carrying bikes? Does it interfere with the pop up and hitch area? I'm a little concerned about carrying a bike in a Sante Fe with a pop up.

Are there standard bike racks or do most bike racks fit most vehicles? Can you still put a bike rack on the back of the TV or is there a way to store on pop up?

Thanks for any input.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

3. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

There's everything from on top of the TV to between the TV & popup to on top of the popup. Some even have an extra reciever mounted to the front of the TV. There's no right or wrong....whatever method works out best for your situation. You'll have to determine, after you've gotten more info, what's most affordable, safest, and most convienent to load and unload for you.

The only thing I would caution against is mounting on the back of the popup. Most popup frames and/or bumpers are NOT strong enough to hold that weight AND it distributes too much weight off of the tongue of the popup and makes towing difficult and possibly dangerous........BUT, for every 10 people to tell you NOT to mount the bikes on the back of the popup, 1 will tell you they do it with no problem. [?:~{]

Do a search here on bike racks and you will have a days worth of info and reading. Then you can make a better informed decision.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Swagman also makes a similiar bumper mount version of the rack mentioned above. It'll gain you a few extra inches if necessary.

5. donpopup

donpopup New Member

I have a Yakima bike rack for 2 bikes that fit in tracks of a Coleman camper. I sold my popup so I don't need them. Let me know if your interested and I can send you pics. They are Yakima highrollers I have the 86 in. bars and pads. Don

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

How many bikes do you need to carry? If only 1 the bumper or receiver mount Swagman will work but will reduce your ability to turn since the bike could make contact with the PUP on a tight turn. Car roof racks would work but a pain to use. Best solution would be a bike rack on the PUP. A popular one is the ProRac. If you're handy, you can make one.

7. glenk

glenk New Member

I recently purchased an '03 Coleman Niagara with rails on top and am looking for bike rack to fit. Perhaps yours will do the job. Could you send some pics? ~Glen.

8. davido

davido Active Member

There are essentially five places bikes could be mounted:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Hitch mounted, at front of TV
    [*]Roof mounted on TV
    [*]Between TV and trailer.
    [*]Roof mounted on trailer.
    [*]Rear mounted on trailer.
    [/list]

The first one seems like a pretty good solution since it distributes weight to the one place where it won't have any negative effect on your towing stability. It might even be a positive. But it could obstruct vision, and front-end hitches are kind of uncommon. Plus, think of how many bugs your headlights and grill accumulate on the highway. But it works for city buses!

The second one is how I do it. I already have a roof-top rack for my bikes, so carrying them up top of the vehicle is easy. And it has very little effect on towing. Bugs are a small problem. Biggest issue is remembering they're up there before pulling under a low entrance somewhere; drive-thrus, garages, etc. We've probably all seen pictures online of people who forgot.

The third adds tongue weight in two ways. First, the actual weight of the bikes and their rack. Second, the additional apparent weight the vehicle feels by extending the ball mount farther aft. If there's one thing I don't need, it's a bunch more tongue weight.

The fourth method is great if your trailer's roof is strong enough, if it isn't already cluttered with other stuff, and if your trailer weight and tongue weights aren't already approaching design capacity. If you add four bikes and a rack, you're probably adding 200 pounds of equipment to the roof. An air conditioner is 80 pounds, by contrast. Also, if you intend to install solar panels on the roof, the bike rack up there might interfere.

The fifth method requires that the trailer's frame and rear bumper be sufficiently strong to support a couple hundred pounds more weight at the back. This will also affect your load balance and tongue weight, probably in negative ways. If your trailer is built like mine, a pound at the back offsets about a half-pound at the tongue (based on where the wheel sits relative to the back bumper and the tip of the a-frame). So putting 200 pounds in back would take away approximately 100 pounds of tongue weight. Now I know I said I don't need more tongue weight. But I don't need 100 pounds less!

To me the best options seem to be those that put the bikes on top of the TV. I've carried bikes that way while towing, and have also carried a kayak that way (not at the same time). They have almost zero impact on the drive.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

What works for me may not work for all. I have a regular TV hatch style bike rack that fits mine and a child's bike without too much problems between the trailer and the bikes. I find i have to take the bikes off at the campsite as I can't make real tight turns with it on, but other than that it works. I haven't tried it with two adult size bikes yet. I have a Toyota 4 runner so the bikes can sit fairly high on the back of the truck which helps, but does prevent access to the back.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We have a roof rack for the pup that is non-permanently mounted... we use ratchet straps to hold it down when towing. We have two light adult bikes, and two kids bikes, so I think the total weight is closer to 100 pounds than 200 pounds as mentioned above.

I could have gotten a roof rack for the TV but that would have been $300-400, and it's difficult to get the bikes up on top of the van. Couldn't put them behind the TV as we're already borderline on tongue weight.

I picked up the rack for $80 on Craigslist.

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We're leaning towards a front mounted rack on the TV. For us we decided: We don't want to fool around with one blocking access to the tailgate; we don't want anything on top of pup (not willing to mess w/roof/drilling etc); the back of TV is full when loaded; we don't want anything hanging off or bouncing on the bumper of pup.

12. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

This is the one I use. Plenty of clearance for tight turns with 3 mountain bikes since it places the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible without scratching. I still have access to the rear window and the rack will lay down with or without bikes for full access. "I" didn't have to get a longer ball mount, but some do if the receiver is recessed under the vehicle. I think it's 3 1/2 inches of clearance needed between the bumper and the gusset of the ball mount, so if you need a longer ball mount it would only be a couple inches at most, negligible effect on weight capacities. The rack will come off easily, leaving a bracket behind that's mounted to the drawbar that doesn't effect my rear hatch at all.
    [​IMG]

Also, these guys have several pup/vehicle roof racks that do not require drilling.
    http://www.sixnall.com/index.php

My phone did this using Tapatalk

13. Stevan

Stevan Best Day Ever. every day..

14. flyndrive

flyndrive New Member

I can speak well of the softride 4 bike carrier. I've had it for a few years and really like it. Tilts back so you can open your lift gate or whatever. One thing, hold onto the bikes and slowly lower the bikes back. I kind of let mine drop and it bent one of the vertical poles, but it still works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I also have the softride, for about 5-6 years. It works great, but I can't use it with the pup. They have a newer version (than ours) that has a gas strut on it to aid in lifting it back up from the tilted position... with 4 bikes on there it does get a bit heavy. I can't imagine dropping it down with that much weight on it. The biggest drawback is the thing is heavy... probably 40 pounds or so. Takes a bit of effort to lug it from the garage to the car (and we hang it up above our garbage cans in the garage so I have to heft it back up there for storage)

16. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Yeah, a lot of people get that set up as well, hoping to use it with the pup. Then they find out there isnt enough room, or worse, use the dual hitch "extension" rather than the hitch AlmostThere posted here.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D210.html

17. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't remember a specific post on that model. However, it looks to be just mounted on the back bumper, and there is a statement that it is meant to be attached to welded bumpers. Many pup bumpers are not attached that well, and there have been episodes of racks attached to that style of bumper just breaking off under the stresses of weight of the bikes and bumps in the road.

You might want to read through some of the other threads in this section and begin a new thread, mentioning at least part of the name of this specific carrier in the subject line.

19. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We went with the front mount, installing it this weekend. We'll update once we get it on and take it to camp next week.

20. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I just setup a 50a/240v outlet in my garage to go nicely with the new 170a AC/DC Mig welder that the taxman delivered. I'm going to weld up a better rear bumper and box the frame of my Pup to hold the additional stresses of a rear mount. I will not be mounting anything to the roof, because that's where my solar panels live. My Pup has dual tanks and a large storage box up front from the factory. A couple of bikes in back, or a cargo basket, would do wonders for letting up on the tongue weight. Even without the propane tanks mounted up, I can barely muscle the hitch onto the back of my Durango, and I'm not exactly a small fella.