1. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I think that I will need to figure out something for the bumper. Welding might be out of the realm of things that I am good at thought. I'm sure that there is a local shop that would help me out with that.

2. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

What part of Oregon are you in? If you're close enough, I'd give you a hand with the welding.

3. chefaleslie

I'm in Sisters Oregon, not very close to the Idaho border unfortunately.

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I put an update on the front mount receiver installation under tow vehicle. Our maiden voyage with bikes on it is today. I'll let you know how it travels when we return.

5. JaycoJeff84

JaycoJeff84 New Member

Just ordered a rack which will be mounted to the roof of my pop up. Which in turn will have the bike rack mounted to that. Once I get it home I will post some photos. I went this route in the event I wanna bring the canoe I can just take the bike rack off and throw the canoe up and go..

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

The Kuat did great on the front mount hitch. There is a bit more movement than when it's mounted in the rear receiver. It is probably due to taking on the wind in the front. I am going to try hooking racketing straps to the tow hooks and wrapping them around the rack to stabilize it a bit. We are very please with the set up. The hitch sits pretty low. I am also looking into ways of raising the front end an inch or two for the long term.

7. chefaleslie

I wonder about a spare tire mount bike rack for the pup.

8. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

They exist. I did not want the added weight in the rear, and I did not want bolted brackets or any rack framing that was bolted down. Most of them you either have to unbolt for nonuse periods or leave on all of the time. I try to minimize the weight I add to the pup. That's what the TV is designed and purposed for.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@chefaleslie
    As niagarafam says, they do exist. However, they hold the same issues as a lot of the rear mounted ideas for the pups do - not enough support for the added weight (many of the spare tire mounts are not fastened into the frame), change of leverage on the tongue, and so on.

10. chefaleslie

Thanks for the input on the. I guess I will start looking at a) a hitch bike rack or b) a spare tire rack for my wrangler. I'm not really wanting to mount anything to the top of the pup. I would just like the rack that makes the most sense and is easy to use.

11. JaycoJeff84

JaycoJeff84 New Member

Here is my bike rack.

[​IMG]

12. sbergherr

sbergherr New Member

13. CampAndPaddle

CampAndPaddle New Member

I just got a pop up last week and have no way to take the bikes with us this weekend for camping. The pop up is a 1992 and it has bra Mets for mounting crosshairs and bike racks, but that would get expensive quick. Instead, I just went on Amazon Prime and bought a dual hitch and new longer tow chain. They should be here Thursday, just in time. I'll show pics when I get it.

Simon.

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

The dual hitch extension will dramatically lower your tongue weight capacity.

[​IMG]

15. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

[​IMG]

My phone did this using Tapatalk

16. 64osby

64osby Member

I have used our rear mounted rack for years. I installed a 4' section of thick gauge 1 1/2" tube, bolted to 2 frames and the bumper. A standard 1 1/4" rack slips right in.

Here it is with the PUP opened. Bent a piece of threaded rod to allow it to swing down enough for the buck to open.

[​IMG]