Bike Size

Discussion in 'Biking' started by Econ, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@davido @lost boy
    Sorry it took so long to reply.

Had one of those what the hell moments and at this age, I bought a bike 50 years ago so you can guess at it <GG>, I dont take falls like I remember taking them a few decades back.

Not sure what happened. One second everything was ok and next I was laying on asphalt. The current theory is the right, rear axle nut slipped, the rear tire crammed into the left stay locking it hard, I slid off the seat at lockdown into the rams horn then knees first into the asphalt. Someone local fixed the bike so I could get home and damn, it did it a second time in his drive. Hurts.

Now consistently ride 7.5 miles a day 7 days a week. Tweaked the diet a little more and with the bike ring the A1C is 5.3 and falling.

2. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Econ.
    I have limited space on my road bars as well (mid 70's DeRosa SLX, 56 cm, "ultra" 6 x 2, Campy Syncro) and found that a handlebar mount suited for large diameter bars can be fitted to the head tube or a fork leg near the crown. This allows me to use the Spenco bar padding, cyclocomputer and bar bag. I'm partial to the NiteRider family of lights due to stellar service when needed.
    Rear lights (plural) are a necessity for me. I usually have two lit up and flashing, with a third in reserve. One under the rear seat, one on a rack or fender eyelet on the left (traffic) side down at axle height, and one on my helmet. No preference here, whatever is cheap, has a wide and tall visibility cone of viewing (no focusing lens and narrow beam), and has a reasonable charge life.

I have a titanium plate and 10 screws in my right collar bone from a fall from the Yosemite* in my mid 50's. I'm still leery of that corner.

* That's a 26 inch wheel Yokota Yosemite mountain bike frame I re-assembled with a Campy Mirage road group expressly for ultra-reliable, paved road, commuting. Now, if only I were as unbreakable.....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Econ likes this.
  3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Lug_Nut, I have a titanium plate and 10 screws in my right collar bone from a fall from the Yosemite in my mid 50's. I'm still leery of that corner.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply. The Christmas distraction and January monsoon season are almost past so I can get back to riding. So is the darkness of Nov, Dec, Jan.

Reread the whole thread. Its been a hell of a year since the first post. My plan for bikes and campers is all these campers/bikes bought the past 12 months and lot are about to hit the used market.

My sympathies on the shoulder. By the time they stopped cutting on mine it took 19 staples to close up humpty dumpty.

Just ordered a Sim card from Red Pocket.

Thanks