Bikes in the camper (hybrid or TT)

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by lostboy, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Anyone carry bikes in their hybrid or TT? We don't have a good way to carry them with our current TV and a rack or any extra weight on the hitch isn't going to work.

We thought about putting the kids bikes in the camper but we couldn't think of a good way to secure them so the camper or bikes stay safe during travel.

Any good ideas out there?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We only have one bike to tote. We have a walk around bed with storage underneath. We cover the bed with a vinyl tablecloth, the bike is put on that and strapped down. Since the bed lifts, the strap is easy to put around bed and bike. Courtenay removes the left pedal to make it easier.
    I've seen pics of people with a bike standing in each aisle with the walk around bed, but I'm not sure how they secure them from rattling around on the road.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Can you install a front bike rack on the TV?

If inside the trailer, you could add some D-ring supports to the floor and/or walls in strategic places and then use straps to hold the bikes steady - that's basically how many toy haulers are set up. When not carrying bikes, you can use the wall D-rings as hooks for utensils, towels and such.

4. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Going back to when I was a kid, that's where dad put mine and my brothers bike, in the tt. We had a Suburban, but behind the back seat was usually filled with golf clubs, etc.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My parents put my nieces bike between the bed and the side wall in their TT. She wrapped a towel around the bike and stored her camp chairs there as well. Between everything there it didn't bounce too much and the towel just prevented it from getting scratched . Or greasing up the bed. The camp chairs prevented it from making a whole in the wall. Then again it was only the single bike and a large child one at that.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

get the folding bike.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

My buddy does this and they roll around an nick the cabinets. After seeing what his do I won't do it in mine. On the hybrid you should be able to put a rack on the back.

jmkay1 likes this.
  8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Pending a rack, I would place them upside down and bungee cord them to something to keep them from moving.

9. davido

davido Active Member

I installed a SportRack set of crossbars on my PUPs roof. You could do the same on your TT, though you would need a way of getting up there (even with my PUP I need a stool to retrieve them).

It's almost an ideal solution, for me. Wouldn't such an arrangement work for you?

I also was not in favor of the idea of putting bikes on a hitch adapter between the TV and the trailer. And trailer frames can get bent by putting bikes on an adapter/hitch on the back of the unit. The roof of my tow vehicle is too high to retrieve bikes from a roof-mounted rack even with a small stool. And a front hitch puts the bikes riding sideways in the worst of the air flow where they'll get all chipped up from road debris. Riding quietly on the roof of my pup behind the shadow of the tow vehicle works great.

10. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

i put them on the dinette (it is a U shaped dinette). i got bike fork clamps and attached them to boards and then strapped the board down on the dinette seat using holes i drilled through the seat board. Take the front tires off and put the front fork in the clamp - and put the front tires in between the bikes, run a strap through them and the bikes. I can put 4 bikes on it and they don't move at all.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

On those rare occasions when we take bikes with us they ride inside the TT between the fridge and counter. Too prevent damage to bikes or trailer we toss an old blanket over the bikes. I have also taken the pedals off at times too.

12. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Lot's to ponder.

With 5 of us, 3 on adult bikes, maybe I just really need (want) to get a truck so I can put them in the bed and not have to worry about it : )

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

upload_2018-8-30_8-36-4.jpeg

put this on TV and it makes it easier to load bike on camper roof. :grin:[Guitar][2C]

Snow likes this.
  14. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

What's the tow vehicle? You could do a roof rack or a front hitch rack on the tow vehicle. I think if nothing else putting them inside the camper would make quite a mess.

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

OK. In that case, there is NO solution except to buy a truck! :D

RDWRER and bols2Dawall like this.
  16. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Rack mounted on the spare? Lots of those options, and I see them in thrift stores sometimes

17. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

not for 5 bikes!
    the only good rack for 5 bikes, is a Yakima or Thule roof rack system.

kitphantom likes this.
  18. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

You can buy a U-bolt bracket receiver hitch for the rear bumper of the camper.
    If nothing else, that carries 4 of them and then you only have 1 to find a spot for. Or, trade one of the kids in?

19. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

That's a recipe for bumper failure. Especially with 5 bikes. Ultralight trailers have thin metal with weak welds. People don't understand the physics of bouncing bikes pulling back and down on the bumper, especially since trailers have no shocks.
    Here's an example:
    http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169169

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    jmkay1 likes this.
  20. Marvintm

Marvintm Member

I have a hybrid and i put our four peddle bikes inside as i did not like how small my bumper was.