Bikes on front or back?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by NoleFan, Feb 27, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

I like this idea. We have a 10’ box Starcraft like yours. Do you have more pictures and with close ups?
    - Has the roof indented from the rear tires bouncing? I could see using a 4”x6” piece of wood w/ a padded bottom and Velcro strapped to the tire.
    - I really like the idea of the front forks bolted to the DIY front mount. More secure -and- lowers the bikes wind resistance and clearance 10-12”!
    - Did you consider a solid turnbuckle side attachment instead of (somewhat) flexible straps?
    - do you have pads under the front 2x4’s?
    - Have you made any revisions since your April 2019 post?

I am excited about this option. I look forward to whatever you can share. :)

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I installed a 2" receiver on the front (a "Curt" model), and bought an easy to load but still affordable 2-bike carrier. Photo shows the carrier mast folded down to make loading the first bike easier for one adult. the PUP can still use the rear receiver.

Attached Files:

3. davekro

davekro Active Member

It looks like the bike blocks the majority of the headlights. Can you drive at night?

4. Anthony Hitchings

Have not tried driving at night with this setup, but as a retiree I don’t need to be anywhere so night driving is off the table when towing

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

we ordered an eTrailer front mount hitch and a Reese sport wing two adult bicycle carrier for our Titan tow vehicle towing a Starcraft 2107. So far no issues all season last year. As for night driving interference we have only traveled up to about dusk so no experience in the dark ...yet.

6. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

My diy bike rack has not damaged the roof at all. The entire rack is made of 2x4s. The parts that contact the roof are lined with rubber drawer liner type rubber pads. The front forks are mounted to quick release bike mounts that you can buy on-line. The bike mounts are bolted to the 2x4. The bike rack needs to be somewhat quickly removable so I use the ratchet straps on the sides. And I did make a slight change to the way I attached the straps to the rack. I added an I-bolt through the ends of the 2x4 with a threaded quick link through the I-bolt. I put the metal ring on the end of the ratchet strap through the quick link and screw it closed. This way the strap cannot come off of the rack. I have driven many hours down the interstate with this rack and it has never budged at all.

Bike quick release link on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/CyclingDeal-...ick+release+bike+mount&qid=1585752306&sr=8-12
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    davekro likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

do you strap down the rear wheels?

8. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

No, I do not strap down the rear wheels. When I am going straight down a highway, the bikes do not move. If you are going somewhere where the road is curvy or has a lot of bumps, it would be a good idea to run a ratchet strap over the camper and through the wheels to keep them from moving.

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

I Love your DIY design. Thanks for the links to the clamps! It looks like you changed to a 4x4 w/ the new eye bolt set up. Why?
    When you tighten the straps with the ratchet (and tie the left over up to the quicklink) do/did either the 2x4 or 4x4 cross beam
    1) Depress (via 2x4 lateral 'pads') the Filon roof at the edges next to the edge molding? Does that pressure at the edge seem that it might, over time press the roof away from the edge seam?
    2) Do you notice any slight downward flex of the roof at the center 'pads'?

I believe your 2009 is a 10'box like my '99 Stardust. I assume your ceiling has a center steel cross support beam. Was there a second ceiling beam mounted behind the AC unit?
    I am considering adding a DIY ceiling support beam between the front lift channels for extra structural support for mounting a similar type of DIY bike fork mounting beam. I am thinking of tying the mounting brackets into the existing two bolts that hold the lift channel. While I am at it, I think I would add an exterior bracket, also held by those two bolts. I would likely go to a larger bolt due to supporting more things ( or just add two more bolts per side). This exterior bracket would attach to the cross beam in a way to be determined.

What are "rubber drawer liner type rubber pads"?
    Thanks,

10. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I did not change to a 4x4, that is a 2x4 in the picture. It is the same bike rack shown in the full size picture. It may just be the angle, but the eye bolt is through a 2x4. A 4x4 would be over kill and heavy.

When I tighten the ratchet straps, I tighten just enough to make them snug, I do not crank down on them really hard. With the rubber pads under the 2x4s, the rack does not slide at all.

I do have steel supports on the interior of the ceiling near the AC. I cannot remember the exact placement of the supports, I have never really paid attention to them.

11. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I plan on doing a tailgate bike rack for the adult sized bikes and shoving the kids bikes in the trunk with the other gear.

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Good to know. I guess the 2x4 does not have much 'force' trying to lift it or move front/back other than bikes sway on curves and the pup bouncing. It makes sense that with some anti slip cushion under the 2x4 pads that beam is not really going anywhere. I will shoot for a fixed metal connection to the roof itself, just for a bit more security and cleaner look. Kudos to you for your design!

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

Hmm, made me think as I misread your post... a weight balance of, one bike in front of PUP, one on back of PUP. Net tongue weight change zero, or put the heavier bike(s) where the weight is needed (front to back). Expanding the 'box of thinking on bikes'.
    (ANY rear mounted bike rack would need to have framing bolted or welded to the main frame rails and maybe to the back wall of Pup. Always distribute weight/ load on trailer to keep tongue weight between 10% - 15% of trailer total 'loaded' weight.)

14. Evilsleeve

Evilsleeve New Member

do you have any problems when turning with the PUP hooked up to your TV and bikes on? This is about the only option I have right short of spending 500$+ on a roof rack system for my suv

15. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

No problems turning!