Bill of Sale- No Title in WI and Traveling to Other States

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by hailster, Feb 25, 2018.

1. hailster

hailster New Member

A few weeks ago I bought a 1996 Jayco 1207 PUP, the owner did not have a title but was willing to sign a bill of sale, he said that he never received a title when he bought it.
    In Wisconsin a title or plate is not required but I am nervous about traveling with the PUP through MN and into ND. With no title or plates will there be issues in those states?

Does anyone have any advice on getting a title for it? I see that getting a bonded title is an option, has anyone gone this route?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It was just posted a little while ago that the home state rules usually apply thru the US. The registration state of the TV (Tow vehicle) is what the police usually go bye. So don't tow your unregistered camper with a TV from a different state. Keep a bill of sale in the camper and I wouldn't try to cross the borders with it. I have always found it easier to get into Canada than back into the USA. Just my 2 cents which isn't worth a nickel.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I found THIS. It is from the Wisconsin DMV. About half way down it says this:

Camping or pop-up trailers
    A title and registration is not required for collapsible camping trailers at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless they are used for hire or rental. Title and registration is encouraged for vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.

I live in Minnesota. I bought my pup in WI and titled it in MN, but I had both title and bill of sale in hand. I would think that since you have the bill of sale you have solved most of your own problems. If I were in you shoes, I would title it just for the piece of mind.

4. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

I went through this when I bought an older Airstream, had no title but had bill of sales for last 2 owners. There are on-line companies (I believe in Nevada) who will do the VIN search and issue a Nevada title to you and then you can transfer it to your state. Worked well for us.