Birthday Camping Trip??

Discussion in 'Idaho' started by inthedirt, Mar 13, 2013.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Going to celebrate my birthday (May 1st) with a camping trip. This time of year, Idaho can be sketchy. Got any favorite places? I'm near Boise, and don't want to drive all day to get there. Up north is out of the question. Thanks!

2. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

Going to Bruneau Dunes this weekend with some frineds for a run. This is our maiden voyage for our PUP as well as a young couple that we know!
    Come join us!

3. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Bruneau is a lot of fun! That was the last place we camped last year, and a first for the kids. Be sure to view the telescopes and go on a scorpion hunt, too. They light up when hit with a blacklight flashlight!

4. blazinid

blazinid New Member

Have you tried Anderson Reservoir? It's half an hour north of Mountain Home. Lots to do around there, fishing, boating, atv's. You can camp below the damn on the South Fork of the Boise (world class fishing) or above the damn at a number of campgrounds along the reservoir.

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I did some tent camping and riding up there with friends a few years ago. Sure was fun. Thinking of going someplace near a hotsprings so that my wife could join us for a few hours. She hates camping.

6. blazinid

blazinid New Member

BAUMGARTNER CAMPGROUND Is north of Anderson past Pine and Featherville. Its a nice campground (improved spots) and the hotsprings is actually a very nice concrete pool. The only draw back is they close it and drain it at night. But there are other natural pools running into the rivers all around that area. i'm not sure when that campground opens, but my in-laws take there trailer up to the reservoir every year for the entire summer and already have it up there (no snow) so I bet Baumgartner is open. Google it and you can see some pictures. It is a bit of a drive but I think worth it.

7. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Already checked that one out. For the weekend that I have available, all that is open is a tent-only site. Everything else is reserved.

8. blazinid

blazinid New Member

bummer sorry. I know you can camp along the river just about any where up there. People have stacked rocks at the rivers edge where the hot springs drain into it, to make soaking pools. Also you don't have to camp at baumgartner to use it.