Biscuits on a Coleman oven, no mods...

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by dbhost, Sep 30, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

After some discussion on the Coleman forum, I decided to test one of my Coleman folding Camp Ovens. Completely sans mods, and on my Coleman 425 white gas stove. This was after discussing some modifications that are intended to even out the heat distribution in the oven box. I had the oven on the right burner as per the manual, and you can see the biscuits burned on the right side at the front. (The bottom of the right front biscuit was totally burned, the biscuit just to the left was slightly singed on the forward edges, the rest of the biscuits were perfect.

My prior experience with this style oven has always been on a wider propane stove, where the burner is centered more or less under the middle of the oven.

I have found that placing the baking stone on the bottom of the oven, biased toward the front / door side of the oven, evens heat up side to side, and an insulating cover, I have tried foil, and even a welding blanket, evens up heat top to bottom. Sort of... I have found no real difference between the welding blanket and foil insulators. The foil is certainly less expensive, and has less potential for food contamination...

I am putting this up here more or less fishing for ideas on how to make this oven more usable in camp. Again this video is completely Coleman, no mods. I intended to use the baking stone as a cookie sheet to cook on. I forgot you have to angle this thing in empty to get it to fit... The door openings on these things are a bit too narrow...

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Some upcoming changes and a planned video shoot once the weather drys out from this sogging we are getting...

#1. I am picking up some Dollar store bakeware so I don't have to use the foil trick. That will help somewhat with heat.
    #2. The baking stone goes in the bottom of the oven to the front right, that should help even out the heat in the oven.
    #3. I am picking up some brick pavers to use as risers for the stove on the plastic table. Melting dome dimples into the table stank...

My plan here is to get both stoves going, and show cooking the southern classic biscuits with sausage gravy. Planning on doing this on the cheap too...

Biscuits. Aldi Bakehouse buttermilk biscuits
    Sausage. HEB Hill Country Faire rosemary pan sausage.
    Gravy. Pioneer sausage gravy mix.

Yeah I am doing the lazy method for sure...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If it tastes good, looks good then no one will really care if you cut corners, the stomach and taste buds will win every time:)

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look for the table that is half metal, half plastic.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

we found the folding oven worked best on a coleman grill/stove combination rather than a two burner stove. we set the folding oven on the grill section and it seemed to provide more even heat distribution. we were able to bake pretty decent cookies and cinnamon rolls in it.

Strawhouse likes this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Funny part is, Coleman's documentation if I recall correctly, says specifically to NOT use this on a grill, gas or otherwise.

I've recently seen other folks using this oven on a 425F stove, and the person is using BOTH burners for the oven. using way less heat per burner, and just spreading it out. Probably uses more fuel, but I get what they are doing...

I have several experiments coming on this. The reason I am using biscuits, notably cheap Aldi biscuits (HEB and Kroger biscuits are even less expensive, but by maybe 3 cents per tube, and honestly, the Aldi biscuits taste better... ) is that biscuits are kind of easy to screw up if heat is uneven. They will burn in the hot spots, and be mostly raw where it is cool...

There are some things I can do to make this work better that I am going to try.

#1. Use this on a different stove where I have more room for the oven. My propane Coleman it more or less centers.
    #2. Use the baking stone in the bottom of the oven to even out the heat distribution. LOTS of folks doing this with great results. There are a bunch of Canadians that use these ovens in their cabins in the winter that apparently have time to bake bread from scratch and video it for Youtube. When you are snowed in I guess you find ways to entertain yourself... (I mean that by, the folks I have seen show they literally are snowed in).
    #3. Us the 2 burner method. Slide the oven over slightly to the left so I catch the left burner which reportedly evens up the heat, however I would turn the heat down on the right burner. I can use what is left open to use of the left burner to put my percolator on to heat water at the same time so I am not totally wasting fuel. Probably try this method...

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

well - this was not the typical "grill". It is a coleman stove that has a single burner on one side and a small grill/griddle on the other side. The long burner tube of the grill/griddle side spread the heat out really well and gave us good results over the stove's single burner.

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have good results ( no burning) using this oven on a Camp Chef stove. But I have to watch the temp close.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Do you have any issues centering the oven over the burner?