Bizarre Electric Winch Failure, PopUp Damage, Manual Winch Install | Covid Yard Camping Day 5 of 10

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by sstressfl, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Growing up our 1st pop up had the articulated arms on the outside and you lifter the roof up into place while someone else (my mother) put the safety pins into the joints...then you repeated for the other side. No cranking at all lol

And great job fixing that. No way I could have done that in a week, much less in a day.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    neighbormike likes this.
  2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your many wonderful videos!

3. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Nice job fixing it but I also had winch problems with my Coachman Clipper which uses the same winch as the Viking though the Viking (the Coachman's Cousin) is a bit heavier and there are many more issues with the Viking side of the house. We were camping down in Stuart, FL and it got stuck in the UP position. It was the Good Sam Roadside Assistant mech that showed me how to access the manual override. That was over a year ago and I've had to use it once more when the switch went bad. Mine has a green cable that once it extended that's when you stop putting it up.

On a side note I bought this from a Jayco dealer who wasn't aware of the issue until I explained it and it became a negotiating position in my favor.

4. CampingFamily1

Here is a link to a similar thread from an owner who had terrible problems with the electric lift/winch system on a Goshen Lift System.

5. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are referring to my post or not, but I would like to comment anyway. I do prefer the Goshan lift system over the Whiffletree system. I like the idea of only one cable to deal with or break. There are no turnbuckles to adjust. It is also relatively easy to replace if you have to, and it can actually be done in the field if you have a spare cable (I do) and the tools to do it with. My electric winch only actually failed me one time, and that was though my own fault. The second problem with the switch was also my own fault. I did not order the proper amperage up/down switch to start with. A third problem was when an E-ring keeper came off the shaft on the reduction gear in the winch. That allowed the shaft and gear to move over and drag on the winch frame. That caused a lot of drag on the motor which in-turn keep tripping the breaker. I thought I was have a motor or battery issue. I did not discover the missing E-ring until I removed the winch and had it on the work bench. By that time I already had the manual winch and had it installed. But basically I was tired of worrying about all that could go wrong with electric (e.g., motor, battery, switch, circuit breakers, limit switches, and so forth and so on.) Now all I have to worry about is not losing my hand crank. To remedy that, I ordered a spare and keep it in the camper.

6. CampingFamily1

Oh, no, not at all referring to anyone in particular or that it was on a Goshen system, just explaining that this time was on a Goshen system.
    I have the Coleman/Fleetwood system and would not want an electric lift on that system either.

Thanks for explaining the things you faced on your electric system and how you switched to manual.

Grandpa Don likes this.