Black Friday in Ontario, (Rant)

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Wrenchgear, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Buying camping stuff for Christmas? Maybe a new trailer hitch, or sleeping bags, cooler, lantern, or bag chairs. Here's a Rant! I'm so sick of all the Black Friday, Red Thursday, Cyber Monday, something else Wednesday, whatever, retail gouging crap. Holy, enough already! I'm glad it's almost over. Going back to when I was a kid, we had a thing called Thanksgiving. Ours was, (is) different from the State's Thanksgiving. Back then, I didn't really understand why they were at different times. In school, we learned about the Pilgrims, the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, and the Indians. We watched Charlie Brown on TV, and dreamed of Turkey supper. I couldn't understand why Canada didn't have these things, but the States did. I always had the feeling that the State's Thanksgiving was somehow more important than the Canadian Thanksgiving. Moving forward, it seemed that Thanksgiving was 2nd or 3rd only to Christmas and/or Canada Day. Now it seems that Thanksgiving barely even exists anymore. It's just a day when people need to scarf down their turkey as fast as they can so they can get out shopping. We were on holidays in Florida 2 years ago during Thanksgiving and Black Friday, and the place and malls were absolutely crazy. I'm glad our Thanksgiving is celebrated weeks before, and isn't swallowed up by the beginning of the Christmas shopping craze. The Christmas season is hectic enough, but it feels as though the insanity of it all starts even earlier because of the whole Black Friday crap that Canadian retailers have adopted. A short 15 years ago, a work colleague said to me, " I'm going to the States for the weekend to go Black Friday shopping". I said, "what's Black Friday?", and so it began. Drives me nutz just so that corporate greed can try and make a few extra dollars in sales profits. The real idea behind Christmas has long gone out the window. Now we have to get ready for all the Pre-Boxing Day sales, Ugh! (Note: this is not a jab at Americans in any way, this is a jab at Canadian retailers).

jnc, DJS12354 and neighbormike like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Agreed. I actually very much enjoy Thanksgiving (more so than Christmas)... all the shopping and spending makes me want to throw up.

davekro, kcsa75 and Wrenchgear like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Bah humbug!

neighbormike likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

If people didn’t show up in their thousands there wouldn’t be Black Friday. Don’t blame the stores.
    (See previous post Black Friday in Wyoming)

kitphantom, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Our family is different for the most part we stay home and just hang out with family. We pig out on the ton of leftovers, and just talk. Occasionally we may take advantage of online sales, but we won’t touch foot in the stores at that time. It’s not worth the hassle and some so called sales aren’t really sales. They just slap a sign on an item claiming it’s on sale but if you lift the sign you see it’s actually the original price. It’s sad so many people get too caught up in the whole craze and even more those that lose site of thanksgiving all together.

neighbormike and Wrenchgear like this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Hardly "a few extra dollars in sales profits" when the reality is many retailers turn enough profit on this one day to keep them in business throughout the rest of the year. As a Boomer I too remember "the old days" but the world has changed whether you or I or anyone else like it. The best you can do is what you're already doing - ignore it as much as you can, the world isn't going back to "the good ol' days". ;)

davekro, kitphantom and kcsa75 like this.
  7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I always preferred the Canadian Thanksgiving date myself, but when I lived in the GTA, my impression was that it wasn't a big deal compared to our (American) Thanksgiving. For us, even just a few days ago, it was a major event. We had conversations about weekend plans, and the only ones who mentioned any type of shopping were us, because we wanted to fell a tree to take home and decorate.

As for shopping, I've been avoiding Black Friday before it was cool to do so. I just read that Black Friday is happening more and more online, and retailers may not actually be going black. Your perspective in Florida may be a little skewed by, well, the amount of the population that doesn't use the internet to buy stuff. I don't really get live TV anymore, so I'm unaware of how Black Friday is portrayed in Ontario commercial advertising. If it's anything like what I see when forced to hear TV in doctors' waiting rooms, I feel bad for you!

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The holiday crazies only bother you if you let them. There is no reason you have to participate in them. Just ignore them and enjoy your holidays the way you want.

I worked retail back in the 80s. The day after Tday, I was at work by 5:45 am to open at 6 am. The majority of folks out at that time were the "old folks". The 60+ year old men would stand at the door staring at their watches. If we didn't open the doors when THEIR watch said 6 am, they were rapping on the doors. As soon as the doors opened, the men would go to the tables up front eating the free donuts and drinking coffee. Their wives shopped for all the early morning deals. Rarely did we see someone under 50 until after 9 am.

Personally, after working retail for nine years, I don't stress over getting things for the cheapest price possible. If the price is what I'm willing to pay, I buy it. I have found that all the driving, dealing with crowds, buying something I don't need to get a better price on what I want, clipping coupons, buying things on sale and having to find a place to store them, and so on, is not worth the savings they provide.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I prefer our Boxing Day shopping better than black Friday.. Yes I am one of those crazy Canucks who goes out shopping on Boxing day... Largely because for the past 23 years I have been working over Christmas and boxing day (roughly have worked 16 of them, either at primary job or contracting) and will be doing the same this year..

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

11. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I wouldn't dare go to the stores either , i did however just today get a great online deal for a TV sound bar :)

12. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

As a Canadian living in the US, I too find it kind of crazy how Canadian retailers have adopted the Black Friday day of sales, when it's not even really Black Friday for them (wouldn't that be the day after Canadian Thanksgiving? And I agree, October is a much more sensible time to have Thanksgiving!). Not only that, my sister tells me that Canadian stores have also extended this 1-day sale into several days or a whole week, just like they are doing here in the US. Cyber Monday is also starting earlier here.

The fact is, retail sales are declining for many businesses and lots of them are going OUT of business. You may have noticed that Forever 21 and Primark are closing a TON of their stores that shill cheap clothing using unethical business practices. They are the pioneers of this "fast fashion" business plan and it's not working. We are a society of consumers of cheap crap that wears out in a short time and fills up our landfills and contaminates our water supplies, etc, etc. Then we replace the cheap crap with more of it. LOL. BUT, the "target demographic" of this fast fashion business plan (the younger people) are starting to take notice and shop elsewhere with their money. Support local stores, buy quality products... that's all you can do for your part.

1380ken likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just an fyi... Costco will be bringing out the summer fashion line just in time for those last minute Christmas gifts.. :p:D

14. Wrenchgear

Admittedly, I'm the worst shopper around. It's not because I go crazy and buy everything in sight and don't shop the sales, but more because I never know what to get people. These numerous sales are all directed right at me, trying to give me ideas, but I just don't know. Being married for almost 30 (actually 28) years now, and having kids pretty much all in their 20's, I (we) have boughten just about everything you can imagine for everyone. I'm out of ideas! I think it also comes from me not really wanting or expecting much from anyone else. I'm good with a 12 pack of diet coke, a few bags of cashews, a gift card for Tim's (Hortons), and a hug from my kids. My wife is pretty much in the same boat. I don't need anything else, I have all that I want. So, with that mentality, I find it difficult to come up with ideas for gifts for other people. When asked by other people about what I would like, I really have to sit down and think. I say (seriously), that I would take a case of oil filters for the truck or van and provide part numbers, I do about 6 oil changes a year on each, or maybe some car wash coupons to go through the local drive through, but I never get that stuff. They all say its too practical and not fun. Oh well, I'm thinking hard again of what to get everyone. (this turned into a sob story, it wasn't supposed to, sorry for that).

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

For one reason alone - a much better annual bottom line.

Back a hundred years ago when I was a youngster retail store hours were generally open 9 - 5, perhaps open Friday evening for awhile, sometimes Saturday morning, closed on Sunday. Now of course many are open 24/7, those that aren't still are usually open for business 7 days a week and often 'til midnight. In Australia where my wife is from many retailers still try to close part of Saturday and all day Sunday but as more & more big box stores arrive so too does the pressure to open 7 days a week. For business it's all about financial survival, for we shoppers it's all about convenience - we made our bed, now we have to lie in it. :tongue:

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I was just asked by DW for a list of stuff I want for Christmas, so she can help the kids with purchasing them (ones in college on a very limited budget and the other is working full time and paying for the house (him and his GF), paying for his car (his gift from us is the current repairs it needs) and paying his student loans back, so he doesn't have much extra $$ )..

I sent the oldest son a link to a reasonably priced (cheap) vintage ice bucket I found for sale in his town.. I was looking at getting one for the new bar when I get it done. The younger one, well I told the wife that both she and him could buy me a couple tools I need and sent her the links to a few used drill presses I found.. But other then that.. don't need anything, and there is way too many things I want...lol .. Just yesterday I was in a store and found a few things, I wanted, not thing I really need, just wanted... all on sale, carried them around the store with me for 30 minutes, in the end, talked myself out of them (wife hates that I do that, specially when it is something I need like shoes or clothes, I'll talk myself out of them due to price, sorry but $100 plus for a pair of "cheap" high top running shoes is nuts.. )

Like wrench, give me a gas card and a Tims card and I'm happy. those things are needs, would rather get those then some silly kitchen gadget or miracle "seen on t.v" tool..

17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My Dad was horrid to buy for. Anything he wanted that I could afford, he had already bought himself. Anything he wanted that he didn't have, I couldn't afford. For a few years, I bought him a new coffee mug - until the cat who kept breaking them died...

One year, while working retail, I found what I thought was a perfect gift: a pair of car ramps. I bought them and brought them down for Christmas. As they were so big and heavy, I set them right outside the front door to their house.

Every time I visited, there were the car ramps, still in the box, right where I had set them. Months went by and they saw season after season right there.

Then one day, I got a call from my Mom. She said "you won't believe it". My dad's engine in his van blew. He had it towed home. The next day, the car ramps were finally out of the box and in use. From then on, he got better about making suggestions for gift ideas.

On the flip side, I had a sibling who could take the perfect gift idea and ruin it. You'd love a Tim Hortons gift certificate (Timbits yum!) - she'd give you a dunkin donuts one because "they're better" (doesn't matter if you don't have any dunkin donuts in your area or hate them). You want something for your camper - she'd give you a ring five sizes too big and ugly. That it doesn't even fit is for you to resolve because she put "so much thought into it"...

BTW, the next year, she gave me a gift certificate so I could "get stuff for the camper" - of course, by then I needed nothing for it. And the gift certificate was for a store where I never shopped and had nothing for a camper.

I love not exchanging gifts anymore. I have one friend I'll buy something for because I enjoy it - I find her off the wall stuff like petrified dino poop - but I don't expect anything in return.

I was always easy to buy for - I always had a list of stuff that ranged from easy (blank video tapes) to more exotic (something connected to King John), etc. But without the list, it always seems like folks don't really get me - I usually get something that's "hot" that year which is guaranteed to be something I don't want.

neighbormike and Wrenchgear like this.
  18. Wrenchgear

Yeah, last year was 'get Wrench everything for the new Tiki Bar in the backyard' year. Totally flooded with bar stuff back there. So we have the old camping ice maker back there, plus a bar fridge with see through glass door. So I don't need an ice bucket back there. I could however use an ice bucket for the saloon downstairs. That might be an idea. (Oldest daughter was going to paint the saloon name on the wall down there like a big sign. 3x5 ft or so behind the pool table. Make it look like a sign from the old west. She is also still working on a sign for the Tiki bar with it's name on it as well. These things take time you know). As for tools, same as you, I've been collecting tools for about 40 years. Between Snap-on, Mac, Herbrand, Craftsman, Mastercraft .... I don't need anymore hand tools. Then I also had a reasonably big collection started of woodworking tools and equip. Then my Dad past a number of years ago now. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and I got all of his tools here too. So at this point, I'm tooled out. The only tools I would like now are big things like, rim clamp tire machine, spin type tire balancer, floor hoist, big Lincoln or Miller mig welder, plasma cutter, things along those lines. BUT, at $thousands each, you can see that they're all getting a little out of hand for a Christmas present. I'll stick to the smaller things at this point, gift cards and peanuts.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

It's a cart before the horse problem. It's not "black Friday" because it's the day after Thanksgiving. It's because the day after American Thanksgiving traditionally has been a day off work, and a good opportunity to go out to the shops and get a lot of shopping done. After operating "in the red" for most of the year, this massive shopping day resulted in enough cashflow to move the business "into the black" for the year. Any revenue from black Friday to the end of the year is purely profit. Of course, retailers detected this buyer behavior and have capitalized on it.

For American individuals, I suppose a similar concept would be Tax Freedom Day.

neighbormike likes this.