Black stone griddle

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by open68, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Steal pans have non of the non stick properties of cast iron. And cast iron pans are good, you just cant pump out a breakfast for 6 as easy as the blackstone. A griddle is good, but it dosent heat fast or even. Plus, you still need a stove top to heat the pans or griddle, unless you go open fire. The blackstone is just easier. Heats fast and even, has large btu output. Its cleans with a spray of water and a scraping down, you can't get much easier then that. Fat goes in a holder to empty when its cool. Maybe its not your cup of tea, but dont po po it untill you tried it. Change is hard. And sometimes 20 year old griddles are sentimental.

rth3775 and open68 like this.
  2. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Maybe I should clarify, carbon steel pans, not stainless steel pans. True, if your pumping out bfast for 6, more surface area can help.

I guess when we put things against our own personal use scenario, these things change. I have used a blackstone quite a number of times, and I do like it for cooking certain things, just not enough things often enough to purchase one for home nor bring one for camp. In a flip scenario, you still need something to heat hot water, and a vessle to heat the water in to make coffee. I guess Im more of a chuck box kinda guy, and not a "chuck wagon".

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I get it, but for me i have the room for the small one. And i like to have a back up for in case of stuff. So, i still have a grill. What i use depends on the plan. I have bacon this trip, so the blackstone will probably be used. We will see, because if i do that then its pankakes. I also have a waffle maker to try this trip, for micky waffles, this is the last trip before the 2 1/2 week treck to disney. And i also am bringing the insta pot to try some slow cooker stuff outside. Yea, its not in bear country. I am worried about racoons and such , but the insta pot locks. I will try it under the screen room on its own cord. If it works out ok, it will be used at disney for a lot of dinners. So i guess I'm more of a food chuck wagon. But if i can save some $$ and go have fun, why not.

open68 and Patrick w like this.
  4. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

going through the pics again, I realized why It never appealed to me.
    1. Small family, small kids, old parents. They dont eat a lot.
    2. I made pancakes at home last week. kiddies just finished 1 each, and they were done. I only made 10, I still had 1 left over after everyone was done.
    3. Bacon- well, the'd eat that but the DW would kill me if I made it more than once a week. Same goes with Hotdogs, saussage, etc. thats like once every month.

Coffee I want so fast in the morning that I use a MSR Reactor to get my water going. Im not against change, and I do love my gadgets. otherwise Im cooking on a coleman 625E, or over the flames. I still use a white gas lantern (though I have LED lights all over the place).

kcsa75, open68 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Disney. Very jelous. The racoons can be crazy, they can open the insta pot. Use the straps on the instapot if you have to, but the racoons will chew at the plastic. if its during the day, I think you'd be ok. I had a racoon try to break into my cabin by pulling the whole screen off the window in the middle of the night.- I didn't even have food inside.
    I dont usually get a site with electric, so thats kinda a luxury I would rather not get used to... too often!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. open68

open68 Member

Just packed 25# of bacon for the freezer. We make about 1/2# of bacon for the two of us. I still use a percolator for my coffee. We love our griddle. I guess what works for you right. 29DF9810-4BD4-4604-A1A1-4157D548D147.jpeg 29DF9810-4BD4-4604-A1A1-4157D548D147.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    kcsa75, Econ and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

25lbs!!! Yum!

Econ and open68 like this.
  8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Where can you get a Smooth face, two burner griddle? Lodge has a griddle faced griddle. I'm talking 5 to 6 eggs at a time.

For some reason Blackstone has a taste to the food. Maybe my imagination.

9. p

p Active Member

Pit boss griddles may taste different.

10. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I've never noticed a taste from the Blackstone and I've been using it for several years. Can you describe it and i'll try to pay more attention to it next time?

11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Their double sided? One side is smooth, the other side is grill...

12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle With Handles, 20 Inch x 10.5 Inch - One tray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008GKDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_SFJ4FZN3A6EHPVSH9CN9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the 20" or so above. Below is the 16in or so...
    Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 16.75 In, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CMLTXG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ABP5ZGFJFMGZKK54XXJZ

13. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

Where'd ya go ? We use to have a family cabin, in the Remer area, Pine river, Longview. Still miss it.

14. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Not too far from Itasca State Park.

Sweetpea likes this.
  15. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

We were camping at Fenske it's outside of Ely, love it there, great swimming lake. Looking forward to going back.