Blackberry playbook

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Camping Fever, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

I am just wondering if there are any Blackberry Playbook owners here? I am not very tech savvy so just looking for some opinions. I am considering purchasing it since it is at a great price now and I don't want to spend $400 + for a tablet. The $200 tablets available don't seem like they are of much quality. I figure I am getting a better quality tablet for a $200 price point.

I realize there are not that many apps. I mostly want a tablet for e-books, GPS or google maps, weather, maybe a couple games. Nothing fancy.

I don't have a Blackberry phone. I'm not concerned about checking emails with the unit.

Thanks for any input.

2. rcnap

rcnap New Member

The Playbook seems like a solid device although I don't have one. You may want to consider the Kindle Fire. Both the Playbook and the Fire are manufactured by the same company for RIM/Amazon respectively. They share most of the same components.

The Playbook has more storage and a couple of cameras. It gets solid reviews. The problem with it is that RIM is in trouble and future support is uncertain.

The Fire has the benefit of Amazon's huge content library. But, it doesn't have a GPS so that might be a deal breaker for you.

3. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

If RIM went under would that render the device unusable?

4. rcnap

rcnap New Member

No, but because it uses a proprietary RIM OS, there wouldn't be any chance of future updates or any new applications.

5. Carlb

Carlb Carl & Dawn

As a Kindle Fire owner, it is a kindle with a few extras(video and web). Do NOT make the mistake of thinking it is a full fledged compute device and proper tablet. That has been my mistake. I am getting over this by side loading a few things where feasible.

6. rcnap

rcnap New Member

It does have the capability to be those things though. I suspect Amazon will take it more in that direction, but did not want to start off in direct competition with the iPad.

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

The word you are looking for is ROOT! My Mother just bought a Fire...can't wait till spring and she comes back from AZ so I can root it [}:)] If Rim should go under that would indeed mean no new updates but that doesn't mean your playbook would be worthless. Right now there is a group of dev's that have rooted the device and are releasing the root very soon (within a week) Don't worry if you can't understand how to do it just hit up craigslist with an ad that says "root my playbook" then pay a teenager $25 to root it and install Android on it :) ...or just buy an Android tablet to begin with.

8. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

Took the plunge and bought the Playbook. Christmas gift to myself [:D] Love. Love. Love it. I just have to figure out how to connect to the internet away from home since I don't have a Blackberry. I have so much to learn. Well I'm off to pop some bubbles in my bubble popper app.

9. rcnap

rcnap New Member

Enjoy - have fun with it!