Blackstone, bbq’s or campfire cooking?

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
I was all set to get a big Camp Chef rig with grill box and griddle. But I'm just going to get a Coleman RoadTrip 285 portable grill. I just don't cook enough to warrant a set up that big, heavy, or expensive.
On the other hand. I did find a Blackstone Tailgater for about the same price.

Sep 4, 2021
Hey camp chefs, What is your go to when you’re at the campsite and why?

For years we’ve used a small propane barbecue/grill accompanied by the trailers two burner cook stove. We have a nonstick aluminum tray that we do bacon on with the grill, but I’m starting to like the idea of having a 2 burner blackstone instead of our small barbecue/grill thinking that if I really want a steak and baked potatoes I’ll just do it over the fire.

What are you guys think of blackstones? I’ve never had one.
I really like the idea of being able to cook up a pile of grilled veggies & onions, mushrooms, hashbrowns, bacon and eggs right on the griddle.

Oh great now I’m really hungry….
I have a small (22") Blackstone that I love and carry it with me whenever I go out in my PUP. I also have my Coleman stove, the stove in the camper and the BBQ grill that came with the camper. But the majority of our cooking is done on the Blackstone because of the easy use and clean up. It is the perfect addition to any campers cooking supplies. I rarely use the Coleman, but it is handy to have around. I heat my coffee water inside on the camper stove. The grill usually stays stowed under the bench seat. The only reason I keep it is for resale purposes. Get the Blackstone

Mistold

May 17, 2021
North East TX
I actually just picked up the 22" blackstone on black Friday for a little over $100. Giving it a test run in a few weeks at the deer lease. Down there me and a buddy share a 78' minny winnie. Not glamourous at all. I took the PUP out there over the summer for a weekend and he was like, dude, this PUP is way better than our old busted RV! haha Now I see what you mean that its too nice to park and leave out here... I totally plan on taking the BS with us on our PUP camping trip.
Someone mentioned above about attaching to the low pressure on the PUP. I didnt even think of that I guess there is an adapter available to attach? Ill have to go search for that. I was just gunna use the small green cans or hook to the spare big bottle. So much to be learned here!
Def still use the exterior grill or inside for liquids. Fought the wind so much last trip so Im excited to try out the BS. Hope to season it up in the next few days.

Camp Chef Ranger III with steel table. Got it for p op up as the outslde slide in stove design sucked, couldn't get it level, and 3 burners were positioned so using them all didn't work, oftimes using 2 was a problem too. Ranger III was good for the griddle and coffee all at once. This is great for a trailer because there's room for storage. For tenting, it's a 1 burner butane and 2 burner propane old camp stove. (can you tell I'd rather be camping than working today?) 20200619_111132.jpg

I find there is a romantic and nostalgic quality to cooking on a Coleman White gas stove. It works great at high elevation and cold temps and fits right in with the Coleman popup vibe. I did a full restoration in September. View attachment 89244
Camp Chef Ranger III with steel table. Got it for p op up as the outslde slide in stove design sucked, couldn't get it level, and 3 burners were positioned so using them all didn't work, oftimes using 2 was a problem too. Ranger III was good for the griddle and coffee all at once. This is great for a trailer because there's room for storage. For tenting, it's a 1 burner butane and 2 burner propane old camp stove. (can you tell I'd rather be camping than working today?) View attachment 89245
Another option with the pop-up and hybrid was a used convection-toaster oven, for baking and cooking turkey breast. The Weber Q1000 was last year's addition for local picnics or when we're not taking a lot of gear, it's heavy and bulky, but is great for fish, chicken/turkey breasts, and grilled veggies, got the heavy metal plats to use. Will bring it with when renting camper cabin way up north in February. Cooking is a primary camping thing for me.

Attachments

• 20171123_151201.jpg
    20171123_151201.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 6

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Another option with the pop-up and hybrid was a used convection-toaster oven, for baking and cooking turkey breast. The Weber Q1000 was last year's addition for local picnics or when we're not taking a lot of gear, it's heavy and bulky, but is great for fish, chicken/turkey breasts, and grilled veggies, got the heavy metal plats to use. Will bring it with when renting camper cabin way up north in February. Cooking is a primary camping thing for me.
What oven is that?

Cooking is something I enjoy when I’m off from work. I often do big breakfasts, brunches and bbq’s at home and really like doing the same when camping.(unless it’s been all day on the water)
It’s leisurely and enjoyable

Last edited:

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I find there is a romantic and nostalgic quality to cooking on a Coleman White gas stove. It works great at high elevation and cold temps and fits right in with the Coleman popup vibe. I did a full restoration in September. View attachment 89244
I have one of these but it does not work well. Time for a primer rebuild perhaps?

Did you powder coat this? Looks good

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
I actually just picked up the 22" blackstone on black Friday for a little over $100. Giving it a test run in a few weeks at the deer lease. Down there me and a buddy share a 78' minny winnie. Not glamourous at all. I took the PUP out there over the summer for a weekend and he was like, dude, this PUP is way better than our old busted RV! haha Now I see what you mean that its too nice to park and leave out here... I totally plan on taking the BS with us on our PUP camping trip.
Someone mentioned above about attaching to the low pressure on the PUP. I didnt even think of that I guess there is an adapter available to attach? Ill have to go search for that. I was just gunna use the small green cans or hook to the spare big bottle. So much to be learned here!
Def still use the exterior grill or inside for liquids. Fought the wind so much last trip so Im excited to try out the BS. Hope to season it up in the next few days.

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
I have one of these but it does not work well. Time for a primer rebuild perhaps?

Thanks, but that would be a bit of overkill. It is a working stove and this is the second, but much more exhaustive restore. The last outing, I got the side a little sooty. I diagnosed a faulty generator and ordered a replacement. It sparks to life with 10 pumps and quickly settles into an blue flame.

Btw: The 413 is a great size over the 425 where you can fit two pans at the same time. 6D620247-3FE8-4FCB-B213-4946CD347E56.jpeg