Blackstone Newbie

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Econ, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

That's what I thought, my husband says, "yes dear" a lot, haha!

2. p

p Active Member

Or...Desiginated wife

Susan Premo and AMC like this.
  3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

D= Dear
    second space
    W= wife
    H= husband
    D=Daughter
    GS grandson

And I have GT, Grandtwins

Susan Premo and AMC like this.
  4. AMC

AMC Member

It's short for "Dear Wife" or "Darling Wife." LOL

Econ likes this.
  5. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Hrmmm I thought it was dam* wife........

Susan Premo, AMC and Econ like this.
  6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Question. I extremely rarely get acid indigestion since starting my new diet 4 1/2 years ago. Eating the same thing in the morning for 4 days in a row. The middle two days were cooked on the Blackstone. The others were in a skillet inside. On the Blackstone days I got acid. Has this happened to anyone else??

7. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I have not experienced anything like that. Love food cooked on the Blackstone. Just wish it was warm enough outside to use it.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It's never too cold to cook outdoors. I've stood in a foot of snow to grill steaks outdoors.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I grill and smoke (both charcoal) year round. But I found that below 50* the Blackstone wouldn't get as hot and didn't cook as well.

Econ and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Its getting up into the mid 70's today. Cold front moving through. I'll think about you.<GG> upper 20/30's tonight?

11. AMC

AMC Member

HAHAHA

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Have you cooked other meals on the griddle without getting acid or is it every time on the griddle?

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Could it also be you are using more oil? I find i oil the hell out of the griddle, for really no reason other then its a griddle and larger.

14. Stephannie Reizuch

Stephannie Reizuch New Member

I had to sell my husband on how the black stone would improve our camping food. He loves to eat. I love to cook, but I hate cooking when you don’t have the right tools/equipment and our CI griddle on the old coleman camping stove wasn’t cutting it (no heat in center and half-cooked/half-burned pancakes weren’t cutting it for me. But we were limited on space as we are already a family of 5 with lots of gear to bring.

instead of adding a single black stone griddle we ended up getting a tailgater which has a burner/grill box combo in addition to the griddle and were able to get rid of the coleman propane stove and our charcoal Webber we used to travel with. We cook most food on the campfire but for beaches or places with fire restrictions we now have the propane grill box alternative.

I hate the 1lb propane cans too. The run out fast for us and are so wasteful. And luckily the black stone tailgater comes with a hose to 20lb canister adapter. So we just run it off the big tank. Oh and it’s stand alone with leveling legs!

as far as seasoning I just did mine by heating up the griddle and using grape seed oil smoking until fully black. Did that 3/4 times and it’s perfect. Like PERFECT. Everything they tell you it will be. First camping trip out we were singing it’s praises. I was one of those folks who didn’t want to buy into the hype (because I like to keep things simple) but this simplifies cooking so much.

Econ likes this.
  15. RonDad

RonDad New Member

The Blackstone brand seasoning stuff is a combination of oils plus a small amount of beeswax. Anyone’s choice whether to buy theirs or use other oils. However I do believe the repetition of the seasoning process is as important as ever. Heat, coat, wait, re-coat, etc. I did 4x.

As far as the level...grease should go towards the trap and the food should not go in there too. Anything more precise than the food your currently cooking (burgers vs eggs) doesn’t seem like a good use of time, IMO.

Econ likes this.
  16. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We only eat twice a day and have only cooked breakfast on the Blackstone. The diet is a strict one and is sometimes ignored during the Christmas season. So I am writing it off for another week and hopefully it will not return. Mrs Temptation is back on the program so diet deviations should cease.

Still on the original 1 pound propane can. The plan now is to take it out and get practical experience on the road then make decisions.

Merry 9th day of Christmas.

Jimbow likes this.
  17. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I'm going to try mine again soon. Talked to my buddy who has a 36" (mines 28") and he uses his year round. He lets it heat up for quite a while before cooking on it in the winter.

Now I just have to talk my other buddy into giving me his 17" for camping now that he got a camp chef for Christmas...

18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I always love a mystery. It will be interesting if somehow the seasoning on the cold rolled steel griddle is leeching into the food.

Econ and kcsa75 like this.