"Blink and it's Gone" - Reserving a Site online

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by p, Jan 8, 2019.

1. p

p Active Member

Yesterday I booked a site at Green Point (Pacific Rim) campground online via Parks Canada. The summer bookings started at 9:00 am on Jan.7. By 9:02 am, all 94 ish sites for the 2019 summer were gone. I did manage to get one...just because I was flexible on dates and location.

Is this a problem?
    My answer - yes.

Solution(s) ?

2. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

It's crazy how fast the sites go. I had my sites all picked the night before and when I logged on many were gone has it forgot about the different time zone.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly it's a problem at a lot of places no matter where your going. Like going to the beach in July. Every person in the world is trying to go too. Like you said you just have to be flexible and get a jump on it the second the reservation period starts. Sadly my schedule is almost never flexible so I usually go the opposite way. (The mountains) if possible. Some campgrounds are always booked solid which makes a very difficult time getting reservations unless you sit at the computer waiting for the clock turn midnight or something redicilous. Not much you can do though unless you luck out and someone has a cancellation. It's frustrating, I agree especially if you can't have a flexible schedule.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

same problem here at PA campgrounds (especially the more popular ones) it seems like alot of people (INCLUDING MYSELF.... GUILTY AT TIMES ) books a whole entire week,as soon as the window opens. just to secure the primo sites for the weekend, which they actually only want . the reservation system makes you wait at least 18 days to make any changes or cancellations, but most wait until last minute to cancel the unwanted days, pay the cancellation fee, then enjoy the prime site for the weekend.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. p

p Active Member

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I think it's Russian Bots. [:D][LOL][LOL][LOL]

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Part of the problem too is that the State/Provincial and National Parks have been spending resources building yurts for the Summertime camper and Sunshine tourist. Funds that could be better spend on new camp loops for us! [:D][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Redbird234 and crackerJack like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I haven't had a problem getting reservations in Fl State Parks in my area of the panhandle, Except now after hurricane Michael it is not the parks fault as the parks in this area were totaled and it will be some time before they open back up.

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Had the same problem yesterday booking my annual 2 weeks in Jasper Park. Didn't help that the largest of the 3 main CG's is closed this summer (Whistlers) so everyone and his poodle are trying for the spots available. I set up either 2 CG's or 2 sites in the same CG on 2 computers every year and at the stroke of 8 a.m. hit reserve on both....only once prior to this year was I unable to secure my dates in one place, this year luckily my second choice of CG's was accommodating enough with my date choice...lol.
    Not sure how to change the system, our provincial parks (Alberta) only allow a 90 day booking window starting in February........the problem arises with this style is you have to wait for your entire stay (say a week) to be available before booking.....wont allow you to book a week if the 90 day window only opens the first date of your request (if that makes any sence)....so...by the time your week is "open"...someone...somewhere has undoubtedly booked one day short of your stay and taken your dates/site......aggravating to say the least.

10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Oh wow, that doesn't seem to be very well thought-out.

11. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

What happened to the days where you could just say Hey Honey lets go campin this week end and go. Pull in and pic ur spot. Now is sorry man we have been all booked since 1973!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We started having problems finding FCFS camping spots in some places back in the mid-90s, which is when we switched to mostly making reservations. We still do a few FCFS, but we won't depend on finding one at the end of a long travel day, for example.
    Given my husband's work schedule, planning trips and making reservations is not a problem - we plot to make the most of his vacation time and days off anyway. Occasionally we have to cancel or change plans, but most of the time, it all works to our advantage - we do far more camping when we have it on the calendar.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Well, I have to book up there for later this summer, but can't do it this week, so that should be interesting. Luckily, we have no intention of staying in Banff, so hopefully that will help some. When you release all the sites at once, it is an issue. You need to release them 6 months or whatever in advance so that you stagger the folks going online. Not sure how you get around people booking ahead and then reselling or dropping. Here in the US, the site must be occupied by the booker, you can't resell.