Blowing fuses with radio

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jdizzle, May 10, 2013.

1. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

I just installed a radio today with an inline switch. When shore power is plugged in everything works great. When I change up to battery power the fuse that I wired in the converter keeps blowing (but only on battery power) what is going on?

2. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Run the 12v line from the radio directly to the batt...... Ground to frame check ground from batt to frame and make sure its a good ground

3. efehser

efehser New Member

x2, wire the radio directly to the battery, still using a switch. Older converters don't necessarily like electronics.

4. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

Just tried that...blew the inline fuse

5. efehser

efehser New Member

Short somewhere in the radio wiring. Your inline switch, is it just on the radio pos(+) wire, before the inline fuse?

6. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

Yes it is. I also found a neat problem...I think the wires to the batt were wired backwards with the black to the neg and the white to the pos. the in line breaker was on the negative side so I swapped the wires and all seems ok now. It's just odd that I still got lights with it that way. Can someone explain that?

7. efehser

efehser New Member

Standard light bulbs don't care which way the current flows, as long as it flows. Motors and electronics, however...
    If you have a furnace or a water pump, might want to check them.

8. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

The pump turned on with it the other way I didn't check the furnace

9. efehser

efehser New Member

Also check if you have a power wire in your plug to the tv. Backwards battery may have opened a can of worms for you. Don't want to plug in and start blowing fuses in the tv.

10. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

Well I have had it plugged in the way it was wired and all was well except when I put in the radio and the shore power was off it started blowing fuses. All the other equipment worked with it wired that way as well. Now that I have switched the wires on the batt it looks like the radio and everything is working off the batt now.

11. efehser

efehser New Member

Good deal then.

12. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Them darned AC electricians. Can always tell when they've been around my stuff, they use black as hot. (And white as neutral or 'not hot')

13. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Sometimes it's hard to remember that a PUP is a home and wired for AC as such , but the DC is wired like a vehicle. Hence the problem with hot leads and grounds. When wiring anything new into the AC or DC system, it pays to check ,recheck and check again. At least that what I do when I wire in something new. [8D] [PU] [PUT]