Blowout on the way to Southern Utah

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by DM27, Sep 23, 2021.

1. DM27

DM27 New Member

Headed from Whidbey Island, Washington to Southern Utah for a 2 week camping trip. 2007 Fleetwood Arcadia; had a tire blowout (6 years old, but good tread left) shortly after crossing the Cascades--was on the rim by the time I got to the side of the freeway:

Put the spare on, but found the spare running hotter than the remaining tire. Pulled into Yakima and amazingly found a local tire shop open on Labor Day that had a pair of matching trailer tires in my size--even better than OEM (8ply with 2040lb weight rating)! Swapped those out and continued on to Utah and setup camp in Dixie National Forest for the next 10 days:

Saw some incredible scenery in Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks National Monument, and Zion, along with some good hikes:

Good trip after a bad start. Now to pickup a spare tire that matches my new tires--very pleased with the new tires: no more bulge at the bottom (since the old tires were on the edge of their weight capacity). We load everything we can in the 3/4 ton Yukon TV to keep the trailer as light as possible, but I'm sure we're still pushing the GVWR. Moral of the story: replace tires every 5 years and upgrade the OEM tires.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

This why manufacturers (trailer and tire) recommend changing tires every 5 years regardless of appearance..

Glad the rest of the trip was a success.. love the pictures..

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Camp neighbor was telling me a similar story. It was on a longer trip for his family. The tires on his TT (4 total) were all over 5 years old but looked good. He figured he will buy new tires after his trip seeing as they will put a number of miles in on this one trip. Well it had other ideas. He lost one just getting out of his state so early morning. He Put the spare on got back on the road figuring they will put as many miles as they can then start looking for a tire place only to have another blow out. No other spares he was forced to disconnect from the camper on the highway and track down some tires. He could only get two. He assumed that’s all he really needed. Got to his destination had a great time got back on the road to go home and then lost his original spare. By the time his trip finished all 4 plus the spare has been replaced.
    Glad you all were safe and got everything You needed to have a uneventful camping trip and return. Having a blowout has always been my #1 fear.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. DM27

DM27 New Member

I should add that I was shocked to discover zero damage to the (plastic) tire well when I changed the tire. After we setup at the campground I discovered why: my wife had packed the cast iron frying pan on top of the wheel well and stacked canned goods next to it. Several of the cans were dented! So it pays to reinforce your wheel well when packing the trailer!

dylrhen, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats funny!