Blowout with Trailer King tire

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Scott and April Still, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Scott and April Still

Scott and April Still Member

We had Trailer King ST185/80R13 99M tires on a Coleman Westlake since 06/2019. We had just gotten to 65 mph and had a blowout. Tires were at max psi and wheel bearings were packed and greased within the last year. We were twitchy about the other tire and the spare for our 3 hour trip, so we had all 3 switched out to Carlisle Radial Trail HD radials. We are impressed with how smooth the Carlisle tires run and we had amazing service through Discount Tire. Anyone else have issues with Trailer Kings?

Attached Files:

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Do you know the age of your tires? Trailer tires usually last about 5ish years no matter how may times it was used or how good the tread. Sorry to hear about the blow out and hope everyone was safe and camper didn't get too damaged. Good luck.

Something I discovered when I bought my camper the previous owner put the wrong size tires for my campers weight on the camper when I bought it. Only discovered this when I was looking to replace my tires and looked at the weights. Thankfully I replaced the tires before trouble hit.

Scott and April Still likes this.
  3. Scott and April Still

Scott and April Still Member

Good question - we didn't for the Trailer Kings, but definitely made sure we did with the new ones (3 months old). We were so fortunate - the blowout did little damage (just a bent rim) and we were right by an exit when it happened. When we had the Trailer Kings put on in 2019, the first set were underweight and we had to return to swap them out. PSA: don't assume your tire shop will pick the right tire for your trailer and weight - do your own research! More advice: test your jack before you need it and always check to make sure your spare is intact and properly inflated.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

All tires can blow out. If you bought all the tires at the same time I too would be skeptical of the others.

Scott and April Still likes this.
  5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

I have always been of the mind to replace my tires every 2-3 years. When my trailers ran 4.80x8 tires, it was every summer.

generok likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have blown both Trailer King and Carlisle Radial Trail. Both last year. Fun times.

Trailer King:

20200713_201401.jpg

Carlisle Radial Trail:

20201006_203807.jpg

With that said, I deserved it with the Trailer King. It was old...very old.

I don't believe I deserved it with the Carlisle. It had just turned 5. I keep them covered and parked on boards. I had just stopped about 20 minutes earlier and checked the temps with a digital thermometer. On top of that I have a Ford Trailer TPMS. I thought I covered all my bases....The failure wasn't a slow leak and overheat situation. BOOM!....It just blew.

generok likes this.
  7. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First of all, that must have really sucked, and glad nobody was hurt and there was no costly damage!

I haven't used that brand of tire, but tires do occasionally fail even when everything is okay; loaded within range, not too old, inflated properly, within speed range, etc. Sometimes, it just happens. I too err on the side of caution. I didn't have a blowout, but I got a rock jammed in my right leading tire this past hunting trip. So, we replaced both leading tires. The following ones are still really in good shape, but I figure I will probably replace them sometime in 2022 anyway.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They all blow out. I have no idea why. I do think sometimes you pick up a nail or screw and a slow leak causes the pressure to drop, and when on the road that heats up the tire. Then boom.