Blowout

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Natureangel, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Finally happened, cruising along doing 70 mph (the limit) and I heard a thunk and I felt the pull. Check rear view and pup is leaning. Immediately pull over and see the flat, on the drivers side of coarse. Get back in an pull even further over.
    Ok so I’m a female, alone, on a busy highway at 3 in the afternoon someone will stop an help, right? I get busy getting my jack and spare out. No one. Put the jack in place and loosen lugs. No one. Jack her up, take of lugs and tire. No one. Cars and semis flying past (4 lane highway). Put on the new tire and started tightening, no one.
    Just as I was tightening the lugs a trucker stopped and put up the orange hazard markers. Then he finished tightening the lugs. At this point a trooper comes along (I swear he looked 15 years old )
    I am faithful at checking the inflation on the tires. I have not been checking the condition of the tires. Big mistake. The other tire was worn with holes as well. Carlisle brand. So now I need 2 tires. So my 15 Year old trooper tells me there is a Blains fleet an farm a couple miles away. Perfect! I get there. It’s around 4pm. They will not even talk to me since they are booked for the day. They recommend a place down the road a spell. Go there no luck. They suggest the Walmart. Give a call, and they have them. Ok great! Get there and they are mounted and need 5 lugs. Of coarse I have 4. So after some back and forth and my pleading they agree to mount them on mine! The technician had never worked with the smaller tires so he was unsure if he could do it. Also he was not allowed to jack up the pup in the parking lot.
    So I finally am on my way, spending $170 for ‘hi run’ tires and make it home safely.
    When I purchased the tires I stayed away from radials after I saw the damage that could be done to the wheel well. I’m glad of that since the pup was not harmed. I also taught my self to change the tire when I got the pup. Nice knowing what to do.
    Now many months ago I put the hazard markers in my cart for Amazon but was waiting for a better price. Not a good idea, I purchased them as soon as I got home.
    I do wish some one would have stopped sooner just to park behind me. I would have felt a bit safer, but all in all I did ok.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

well done, changing a tire is an essential skill IMO. Its also much simpler than trying to home bake a multi grain bread!

PopUpSteve and Natureangel like this.
  3. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Intestinal fortitude on your part, good on ya!
    On that note....if you ever get a blowout up here in Alberta I'll be sure to pull over and offer assistance to you...:)

Natureangel likes this.
  4. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

Great job on the tire change! We had a blowout on a busy highway as well (driver side) but we could barely pull off the road because there wasn't much of a shoulder. I like the idea of hazard markers and I think I will order some as well. Thanks for the idea! :)

Natureangel likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes , you deserve a pat on the back.

Raycfe and Natureangel like this.
  6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Glad everything worked out safely, but sorry no one stopped until you were just about done.

Natureangel likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

DW and I learned the quickest way to get help is to act like we are fighting...the law will be there quick. Like you said...folks just drive by

HappyTraveler and Natureangel like this.
  8. Garrity

Garrity Member

We had a blowout on the passenger side last year. My jack and tools were on the driver side of the PUP. I will say that even as a man, that is a very scary situation to be in. I jacked up the PUP, removed the tire, then realized that my jack did not get the PUP high enough to get the spare on. Lesson learned. I had 3 police officers drive right past me. The 4th stopped behind me a bit and threw on his lights. Very nice man who also helped me merge safely back onto the highway. I replaced the rims and tires before the next trip. The other tire tread had started separating from the belt. Another bomb waiting to happen. Glad you made it home safely and good for you knowing how to change a tire. A lost skill for most people these days.

Natureangel and HappyTraveler like this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Most trailer tires are rated for max 65 mph.

Raycfe likes this.
  10. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Good job and very courageous in a very dangerous situation with all the traffic. I recommend triple AAA with camper coverage for the next time.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Be careful on the roads ........... the side of the highway is a very dangerous place . I stopped riding my motorcycle because drivers just don't care.
    If my wife called me a had a flat and could get to a very safe stop ........... get out of car and stand behind the guard rails. Here in Connecticut it seems as if a State Trooper Car gets reared once a month if not more .......and they have very bright lights. We live in a quiet neighborhood and the interstate is a ways thru the woods behind us. We hear the sound of the rumble trips in the breakdown lane all the time as a driver drifts out of their lane.

We are over 70 and are not in a rush to get anywhere. Here in the Northeast many interstates have the "Old routes" near by and my DW loves to take pictures and they are a pleasure to drive.

view.asp

Please slow down and be safe.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Most of the eastern US has this. Before GPS the young people didn't travel those roads. When there was a problem on the interstate you could take to the old routes. Now their phones reroute them onto the old routes and they get clogged as well.