Blowout!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Black Bear, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

This is a picture of our PU tire.
    [​IMG]
    This happened while driving home, through the mountains, from Humboldt SP.
    Never had a flat on a trailer before, very squirrelly at 60mph.
    Of course it was on the drivers side, so I had about a foot & a half between the trailer & the highway.
    Very scary when the semis went by.
    Made it home on the spare, safe & sound.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have had 2 trailer blowouts. The first was with a boat/trailer that weighs about 2500 lbs. I was going about 65 and didn't know the tire had blown until I saw smoke in the sideview mirror. The second was with the Apache, which weighed about 2k lbs. I didn't know that tire blew either until I noticed the trailer leaning. I was going about 60 mph. The tire was completely gone. FWIW, that tire was less than a year old and I had just checked the pressure less than 10 miles up the road.

Neither time the trailer or tow vehicle got squirrley. Both time I was towing with an extra cab compact Toyota pickup.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

BOOM!! Glad everyone is ok. Were these original tires?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Dang! That tire looks as if some slashed it a hundred times over. So glad everyone is safe.

5. Black Bear

No these were the second set . About 4 yrs old. Replaced both when we got home.

6. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

make sure you have the new tires balanced.

7. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Geezzz!!!!

For this reason, among others, I check my tire pressure constantly in my truck, and before each trip with my trailer. Glad you're OK.

8. JT2

JT2 Member

Yeah, blowouts can be scary. Glad you handled it well.
    (I've had 3 in 20 years, inc. two on one trip. Oy! All were at highway speeds.)

May I ask what tire pressure you were set at before the failure and the approx weight of the trailer?

Thanks

JT

9. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

YIKES!

That's my biggest fear when towing (a tie with looking in the mirror and seeing the camper fishtailing behind me). Glad everyone is ok - hopefully no damage to the PUP.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Happened to me also. Do a search for "China Tire Bombs" and see what we are getting.

11. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

Remember that you need new tires every 4-5 years no matter what the mileage.

Also remember to check the pressure in your spare.

I had one blow out and it took the fender flare completely off. The spare was also almost flat so I had to drive really slow until I could get to a pump.

12. Black Bear

Trailer weight is about 2950 lbs. Tire pressure was 50PSI.
    I always check pressure before each trip.

Learned two things about tires from this incident.
    1. Change your tires every 3-5 yrs, regardless of tread wear. These tires still looked almost new.
    2. Make sure the combined max load rating of your tires quite a bit more than the total weight of your trailer.
    The old tires had a combined rating of 2960 lbs. So we went with an 8ply tire that gives us a combined rating of 3450 lbs.

We were very lucky that there was no damage to the trailer. The tire lost all the tread & the steal belts were sticking out like a giant rotary paint stripper.

13. gruss

gruss Active Member

glad everyone was safe and no damage to trailer.

I've never seen a tire fail like that before...interesting!

14. JT2

JT2 Member

I have seen that type of failure before, on both trailers and cars. Two common possibilities come to mind but there are others as well:

-- the tread de-laminated (peeled off) the carcass at speed. That's usually caused by excess heat from whatever cause OR by shoddy tire manufacture, meaning the tire can't dispel the normal heat build up. Once the tread is gone, the carcass can't carry the load and the tire deflates.

-- the tire had a puncture (nail, glass etc) and lost air slowly while going down the road. Soft tires ain't happy tires and the tread goes all soft and floppy as the air goes out. The softened sidewalls can't support the trailer weight-- nor deal with the heat-- everything collapses and the tread eventually comes away. (In this case, the tread peeling is toward the end of the "event", not the beginning of it.)

/JT

15. Black Bear

I actually think I may have run over something that caused a slow leak. Once it looses pressure it can't support the weight & Blame you have a blowout!
    Anyway, I feel more confident with the higher rated tires.

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Hmmm. I wonder how practical it would be to put a wireless TPMS in the trailer tires. Might be worth thinking about.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

'Bout time someone invent a tire camera. Put a camera near each tire just like the back up camera... [:D] hehe but it may be a good idea... 10 years ago, it was considered a luxury to have a back up camera but now it is standard with Ford vehicles. [PU] [TV]

18. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Well, I thought a TPMS would give a little advance warning, instead of just watching it go BOOM!

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We need better trailer tires available, not more gadgets. My family towed campers all through out the 70's,80's, and 90's often with large groups. No one can recall a single blowout.

20. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Ah, the good old days, before profit margins and crap chinese tires ruined things.
    Sometimes I am quite happy to have LT tires on my popup. There seems to be more choices than with the ST tires.