Blue Wire to Nowhere.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by carlr, Jul 24, 2011.

1. carlr

carlr New Member

I was crawling around under our 1986 Colman Sequoia checking for problems and for the first time I noticed the end of a blue wire neatly wrapped up and attached to one of the rails. It leads to the back of the trailer. Everything on the trailer works electrically. I was thinking back up lights but to be honest I'm stumped.
    Any ideas?

2. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Just a guess, but blue wire usually is the wire for trailer brakes....Does it run back to the wheel backing plates?

3. mv520

mv520 Member

Usually a blue wire end would be there for you to hook up if you have electric brakes, and the blue wire would go to a breakaway switch on the tongue. The breakaway switch when activated applies +12VDC to the blue wire and causes the brakes to be fully activated.

4. carlr

carlr New Member

I will take a closer look the next time I am underneath to see if it does go to the wheel backing plates. It can't be to important, we have owned the trailer since new and have not needed whatever it does for 25 years.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. fix_it

fix_it Member

We had an 87 or 88 Coleman Newport. I think it had that same blue wire. It would have been hooked to the non-existant optional electric brakes.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

my 88 Coleman Columbia had a blue wire coiled up neatly and zip tied to the frame for brakes. I think it's just a factory pre-wire on all of them as ours does not have brakes.

7. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

That would be a brake wire. Coleman always wired every pop-up for electric brakes, even if they were not installed.

8. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Here's a picture of my Sun Valley showing the nice little tied up bundle of wire. No brake assemblies on the axles so no wire hooked up. My Niagara does have brakes and the blue wire goes into the brake assemblies.
    [​IMG]

9. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Carir,
    having installed wiring and cables on locomotives, this is called 'provisional'; it is for the time being or temporary. So until you install brakes on your trailer it is there in the wire harness. Many automotive manufacturers do this all the time for example: wire connector for power seat, although manual seat installed. This is done alot for options on vehicles, locomotives and tent trailers.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping!

10. carlr

carlr New Member

Thanks everyone. That takes care of that.