Blunders? Tail light rewiring.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Groomporter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Groomporter

Groomporter Member

I needed to replace the four wire plug on the trailer to fit the 7-pin to 4-pin adapter I bought. Grandpa didn't color code the wires, they were all one color. But there's only four and it was obvious which one was the ground. So it shouldn't have taken an hour to figure out just three wires for the turn signals and brake lights. I finally thought to look at the bulbs again and realized that when I had inspected the bulbs a few days before I had put one of them back in the bayonet socket the wrong way around. Duh... talk about getting in your own way ;-)

2. theseus

theseus CamperMod Addict - Thinking about the Dark Side... Silver Supporting Member

I once had to repair the lighting on my nimrod while we were traveling. Nothing like the pressure of needing to get somewhere and needing the lights to be right. I think I did more damage than actual fix that day, so I feel your pain.

Sjm9911 and Susan Premo like this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Methinks it should not have been possible to insert them backwards, the pins on the side of the bulb used to be offset, as best I can remember from automobile marker bulbs and turn bulbs etc.

4. Groomporter

Groomporter Member

It went in just far enough to hold it and it would only come on faintly depending on how I had the wires. (Had a picture on my blog about the trailer)
    [​IMG]

5. Groomporter

Groomporter Member

BTW are there any LEDs that can replace those bulbs? Be nice to have something a little brighter, but keep the vintage look. Or will I have to find some other sockets to fit the fixtures?

6. Groomporter

Groomporter Member

Oh, I think I found them. Someone suggested "led 1157" which has a bayonet base and they're available from a local parts store, so no Amazon shipping cost.

Susan Premo and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Groomporter

Groomporter Member

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just a tip, if the spring in those sockets dosent have enough spring in it , they can not light. You can drop a bit of solder on the bulb base or replace the spring and conection.