Boat question

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by John3M, Aug 6, 2021.

1. John3M

John3M Member

When traveling I bring along my Sea Eagle Pontoon boat. I was going to get a kayak but the Ac on the roof plus the solar panel made roof carry out of the question. I purchased a Sea Eagle inflatable pontoon boat designed for fishing instead. I have a trolling motor and a fish finder also. My question relates to keeping the boat batteries charged. I am looking for a way to charge them when I'm not fishing and just sitting around sipping a Bud. I have a generator but sometimes rules may prevent me from running it. I'm looking for tips building a solar charging station. I have an AGM marine battery and a Lithium fish finder battery. I dont want to break the bank in the process. I'm sure with unlimited funds anything is possible but I'm looking for tips from anyone who has built one of these systems.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No idea, but my sea eagle kyack is still going strong. And its old. Good luck with the charging station.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The cheapest way would be a second AGM battery, for a 2 day trip you may not need additional charging. The thing is, using solar you want to get every bit of sunlight you can into the charger, but that's probably when you're going to want to be out in the boat using the battery. For dry camping you could use a 100 watt folding panel kit with controller to get most of the charge back but if you want to make sure you get a full charge you might want to go with 200 watts. You would need an inverter to charge the lithium, probably 300 watts would be enough but would need to know the specs for your charger. When you're done fishing disconnect the charged battery and put the days used battery on the controller, hook up the inverter to that battery and charge the lithium overnight. In the morning disconnect the inverter and let the agm charge in the sunlight all day.

If you're at a powered site you could use your current charger to charge one battery while using the other. The lithium battery should easily recharge overnight using it's current charger.

EDIT: BTW, I'm assuming that the AGM is a group 24 marine deep cycle.