Bogue Chitto State Park this Weekend

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mckeapc67, Mar 19, 2014.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Finally looks like a weekend with some descent weather; so, we'll be heading up to Bogue Chitto State Park in Franklinton, LA for the weekend.

It'll be our first trip to Bogue Chitto other than a drive-by; so, I'll be sure to post a review in the Louisiana Campgrounds section of the forum.

We plan on doing some trail walking, geocaching, canoeing/kayaking, and fishing while we're there.

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We had a pretty nice trip with a few exceptions:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Our roof lift winch quit working with the roof just short of being up. Had to complete the lift raising with the manual crank. Lesson learned to consider including a drill in the toolbox. Several folks on here use them for raising and lowering the stabilizers and it would be a good back-up to the winch crank. It would take all day to crank the roof up or down with the hand crank.
    [*]I spent some time trouble shooting the winch and finaly located an inline fuse that was blown. I removed the fuse to lower the roof; but will need some troubleshooting to make sure of the cause of the blown fuse. One of the connections was loose so I'm thinking that the extra resistance from the bad connection may have caused the blown fuse.
    [*]When we lifted the roof (first time this spring), I found that one corner of the roof had been leaking a bit. I'll have to inspect for wood damage and repair as necessary.
    [*]Our power supply is acting funky. I think there may be a bad connection somewhere. The lights sometimes dim and get brighter for no apparent reason and they intermittently go out. I appear to be getting a charge current to the battery and the battery is fully charged; but, sometimes the battery won't power the lights. More trouble shooting in order.
    [/list]

We did cut our stay one night short. Looked rain / thunder storms were in order for Sunday morning; so with the winch issue; I decided to pack down Saturday evening and head out. Didn't want to risk having to crank down the roof by hand in the rain.

Other than these issues; things went well for the first outing since last summer. I'll get things back in shape before the next trip.

Campground report will be posted in the Louisiana Campgrounds section shortly.

3. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Glad y'all had a safe trip! Sorry to hear about the pup issues. I will read your campground review with interest as we may head down to Bogue Chitto State Park this summer with the kiddos for a weekend of camping and tubing. We stayed at, (and I reviewed in the MS campgrounds section) the Bogue Chitto Water Park in south MS last year. From what I understand, the Bogue Chitto State Park in Louisiana may be more what we are looking for.

Kinda funny there being two campgrounds so close together down there with such similar names.