Boogity, Boogity, Boogity - Let's Go Campin' Boys !!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by themanfromvan, Sep 6, 2009.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

We returned this afternoon from our Labor Day Weekend Campout to Two Mile Run County Park. This is the absolute closest place to camp to our home - only 17 miles from driveway to campground. We had a great time despite the NOISE. Yes - noise - and not just people noise, which I kind of anticipated on a long weekend. Let me elaborate.

Tri City Speedway, NW PA's fastest dirt half mile, is only about 3 miles as the crow flies from the campground. They normally race on Sunday nights. My plan was, camp Friday and Saturday night - come home Sunday to avoid the noise. On our local radio station, I've been hearing a commercial for the World of Outlaws Big Block Modified Show, but could never hear what the date was. Guess what? Yeah - Labor Day weekend.

So - from 7 PM to 12:30 AM both Friday and Saturday night, we were treated to the roar of 396's, 413's and 427's. Man - don't get me wrong - I love to WATCH racing..... but listen to it? No way. All I could think of every time a heat race would start is Darrell Waltrip's start to NASCAR races, "Boogity, boogity, boogity - let's go racin' boys !!" Amazingly, we all did fall asleep before the shows were over both nights.

While we weren't being subjected to the carburated, fire breathing big blocks, we had a great time. Like Cook Forest in the past, we kind of dismissed this campground on the premise that, "Anything close to home can't be worth a hoot," so this was our first time camping there. The campground is nice, very nice. The sites are so large, many of you would not believe it. They are tucked in amongst a hardwood forest and are private and shady.

The kids and Betsy went to the beach on Saturday, while I went hiking. Today, we took a family hike. Oh - and this was our first experience with taking the dog along and had a real heart stopper on Saturday morning about 4 AM. Daphne, our dachshund, is 11 years old and not in good health. She is diabetic and blind. We could tell when we went to bed that she was really tired from the day's activities.

At 4 AM, Betsy woke to check on Daphne. She picked her up off of Robert's bed and she was limp as a dish rag. She jostled her a little and moved her around - no response. She woke me in a not too loud but frantic tone, "David - Daphne's dead !!" I sat straight up in bed. I took her and she was very lethargic, but I thought she was still breathing. I confirmed that by putting my face right in her's and getting a nice big wiff of doggie breath. She was okay - just very tired. Her sugar may have been out of whack, too, from the change in routine. Still - both our heart's were pounding in our chests.

Photos of the weekend are forthcoming. I am in the process of uploading them to Picasa right now. As soon as I get done - I'll post the link. I guess my days of not camping on holidays and writing off my local hot spots are over, folks !!

2. propxprt

propxprt New Member

World of outlaws are awesome. They came through our area last year, was lucky enough to be off work that night. Those drivers are nuts!

3. themanfromvan

97 pictures from the weekend are uploaded and can be seen at http://picasaweb.google.com/1themanfromvan/CampingAtTwoMileLaborDay2009#

Here's a sample for you. I think this picture is cool as all get out.....

[​IMG]

4. greatbrothers

greatbrothers I'd rather be camping.

Oh no...please tell me that's not a fall leaf already. Sad day. Great pic.

5. Csea

Csea New Member

Okay anyone who has seen that commercial (dairy queen I think) where the guy points to the leaf and starts screaming...... Im doing that right now.......
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

6. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Sounds like a nice trip!
    I'm not ready to let go of summer yet either.

7. BrendaD1123

BrendaD1123 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Csea, I'm laughing right now - yes, that's the Dairy Queen commercial. Always makes me laugh when I see it.

8. Grim54

Grim54 St. Clair Shores, MI

Nice pics. Don't let go of summer just yet. Told the wife we are going the weekend we get back from a 12 day cruise in Oct.

9. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Great looking album, David! Nice trip report ...... take care of Daphne.

10. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Great Pics David!!! I love this time of year. Starting cool down and the trees changing and great weather to go camping.

11. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Great pics. Nice to see you had a good weekend camping. Thanks for sharing. Ear plugs are always an option for those noisey times. I also made it out for the weekend. Pics and trip report to follow in another thread.

12. themanfromvan

I'd like to offer a little bit of background into Two Mile Run County Park. The park is owned by the county of Venango in NW PA. Much of the park was obtained by the county as it was bequeathed to them in 1969. Over the years, the dam and lake were built and other land acquisitions were made. Things like picnic shelters, the beach, the campground and a mini golf course were added over time. As of now, the park is nearly 2700 acres in size.

In the early to mid 1990's, our county went through a severe budget crunch and management of the park was turned over to private individuals. These people had a completely different vision for the park and it's resources than what it was used for or intended for in the past. Plans were unveiled for a conference center, a motel, large scale cross country ski/mountain bike course and some other high buck amenities. Most were outdoor oriented, at first, saying our county could play host to national birding expositions and mountain bike races. Over time, however, that angle was scraped and this management company had only one thing in mind - that was $$$ for themselves.

I used to go out to the lake a lot when I was first learning to kayak in the mid 1990's. But, when management changed hands, I clearly did not like the new direction things were going and quit hanging out there. These people also enacted a 'gate fee', for any use of the park. I have no problem paying to have fun, as long as the funds are being put back into upkeep, etc. But, clearly that was not the case here. About two years ago, the county was able to take back control of the park and return it to it's original intended purpose. That being an outdoor escape, much like one of our state parks.

Sadly, because much of what was there did not fit into the management team's 'master plan', many things were not taken care of over the years that they ran the park. The campground was neglected - in fact until last year - I'd never been in the campground as it was always locked. The beach area was not operated for several years and picnic shelters were left to deteriorate.

Now - we the taxpayers, thanks to the efforts of many, many volunteers, have ownership of our park back. In these tough economic times, the park has flourished. People taking 'staycations' have found this venue to be their best friend. And, in my visits to the park - I have encountered folks from about a 100 mile radius who, in an effort to take the 'one tank of gas' vacation, has discovered the park and made it their own.

I highly recommend this campground to anyone wishing to explore northwestern PA. We have over 60 miles of recreational trails that are within close proximity of the park (see http://www.avta-trails.org/), Presque Isle State Park on Lake Erie lies about 70 miles to the north, plus hundreds of other points of interest. Anyone wishing more information about the park can contact me through a PM. Or the park's website (which is under construction) is http://www.twomilerun.net/ The information on the site is somewhat limited, but there is a contact phone number. Hope to see you there sometime.

13. yogi

yogi New Member

Thanks for taking me on a picture trip of your campout. It was the next best thing to being there. [CP]

14. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Is Daphne OK?

15. themanfromvan

Yes, she is back to her normal self. I think the change in routine and the great outdoors just plain wore her out !! I found another great reason to have a PUP with a fridge, too, besides keeping the brews cold. Insulin has to be refrigerated.

Did I mention the things we forgot on this trip? Helpful to you list makers..... Coffee - oh no !! I drank cocoa with marshmallows..... not kind to my sensitive stomach. And Betsy & I's pillows - bigger oh no !! Fortunately, we had a spare sleeping bag that we folded in half lengthwise to create the 'double pillow'. She says I hogged most of it. [LOL] [LOL]

16. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

glad you had a good time and next time bring earplugs just in case........haha........glad the dog was ok.......my daughter scares me like that every so often and it is not fun when it happens........glad it was a false alarm.......i'm off to check out your pics........SCmomma