Booked for This Weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Nani2, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We have this weekend free and it looks like the weather might cooperate.
    I have been looking for a good lakefront spot at several parks and it seems October has less availability than August and September.
    My stalking habit paid off and I found a great spot this afternoon and grabbed it. I did break my rule on not repeating campgrounds, but I'm really looking forward to this weekend.
    Hopefully Saturday's high of 75 will allow us time in the lake.

J Starsky and Orchid like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I hope your trip goes well, the weather has been so crazy this year, however every day camping is an adventure. Enjoy the trip kick back, enjoy the scenery and as i used to state to a friend " I go to recharge my batteries. "

Nani2 likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Hope you have a great weekend!!

Nani2 likes this.
  4. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I'm confused about what I've read on here about the furnace. I thought it ran on propane, but in a post below people are talking about it going off battery or I guess shore power. We have both furnace and a heating feature on rooftop A/c. What would power them?
    Asking because I don't want to run out of propane.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The fan requires 12 V DC , it will discharge the battery as it is used. The AC uses 120 V AC to run that heating element, but the heat strip in the AC will probably not put out enough heat to do much for heating the unit. If you have shore power hook ups and you have a ceramic heater (120 V AC) it will do a decent job of heating the unit and you will save the propane and battery, if not then you will need a way to keep the battery charged, such as a generator, solar etc, I have used jumper cables before and charged the battery from the TV. I hope this info helps you . Good Luck and happy camping

6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

It does help. Thanks for the fast reply!!

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Hope you have a great time!

We are stuck at home for the time being, with our daughter due to deliver our first granddaughter soon. We have 4 grandsons, this is the first girl in the family in 32 years. We don't want to miss it.

It's driving me crazy that we are missing the best weather of the year, or at least after this hurricane passes! I should have told her to plan this baby to be due in the middle of the hot summer. LOL

Nani2 likes this.
  8. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I've thought and prayed about you these last couple days. I don't know where you live but guess it's somewhere close to all the activity. We have four grandsons and one granddaughter with another granddaughter coming around Thanksgiving. They live halfway around the world though so I will have to wait. I was invited to be there but cannot in good conscience leave daughter and SIL who work retail without a sitter for a few weeks during Christmas season. I hope to go in January.
    Hope you all stay safe.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's so sweet, thank you! We are really just in the outer bands of this hurricane. Hopefully, we don't even lose power.

Congratulations on your coming-soon granddaughter. It stinks that they live half way around the world, but sounds like you have some grandchildren with you all the time. I'm thankful that all of mine live close by. Two of the grandsons and upcoming granddaughter live only about 500 ft or so away. We live on the same property. :smiley:

Nani2 likes this.
  10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Nani2 What nineoaks2004 told you is absolutely true. You need to consider several things when heating your unit.
    Propane: If you use your stove to cook, you will run out of propane faster. You can "save" propane by only using the heater to warm it up in the morning and just before bedtime. Everyone has their own way of managing tanks. I have 1 turned on and the other full 1 turned off. I would rather wake to have to change over tanks than wake to find I'm out of propane in both tanks. When I'm boondocking, I use a Mr Buddy heater to save the trailer gas for other things.
    Electric: The heater fan will really suck down the battery so, think about recharging. If you have shore power, you're good. In those cases, I use a separate electric heater (like nineoaks2004) on it's own cord.
    Generally: Make sure you're insulated as much as possible. PUGS, Reflectix & curtains really help. I have insulation board (like Styrofoam) under my mattresses. Some people use the anti-fatigue mats. Pool noodles around the edges help too.
    I've camped with my grandkids at 23 degrees and everyone stayed comfy.
    Have a GREAT weekend! Steve

Nani2 likes this.
  11. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Thank you. Our lows will be about 50 so hopefully we won't need the furnace. I pulled out the flannel sheets and we have heated mattresses. I LOVE to have the flaps open so I'll probably wake up cold and zip them halfway through the night. Have lots of experience from tent camping.