boon-docking for the summer of 2020?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Arlyn Aronson, Mar 31, 2020.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Fishing works for us. Doesn’t hurt that we lose cell and internet 10 miles after leaving home CF41D788-9154-41A6-875A-9E7E580E3CD9.jpeg B9D9D64A-2EF2-4CF7-B496-F06581A8193D.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Arlyn Aronson, FARfetched and BBQdave like this.
  2. jacinda

jacinda Member

Nice[​IMG]

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you're in the middle of nowhere, a quiet generator wouldn't bother anyone but you.

4. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

We'll likely be spending time at camp-driveway this summer

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

How about camping where you don't beed AC. Or maybe I should ask, why do you need the generator along?

6. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

I don't think we'll be heading out to parks and campgrounds this summer. It's not about AC or generators for us(although the wife wont summer camp w/o AC) but more about staying away from crowds.

7. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Just to let you know that at this time, the northern boarder is closed. Canada is not letting any personal traffic in. Only commercial traffic is allowed. The US is doing likewise. I'm not sure how long this will be in effect.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that most campgrounds will be open this summer. We typically don't go camping till after school is out in late June. We have a trip booked for July 4th. I would bet we will be camping this summer.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  9. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Very nice

I have 700 watts of solar panels (300w on roof and 400w of suitcases) and 510ah (6.5kWh) of LifePo4 batteries (and another 220ah worth that I could steal from my shed at home) when I camp.

On a hot and sunny day, I can run my AC unit for a couple of hours and it will recharge fully on its own.

I even am planning on testing out using an induction cooktop and the fridge on 12v (or on AC through my inverter) so I can do away with propane completely. I'd rather add another 300ah of battery instead, since I can use it for a lot more things

10. timm

timm New Member

As a resident og the U.P. the wife and will be boon-docking camping along the big lake this summer no matter what. Hopefully the state forest campgrounds will be open but if not, we will do the dispersed camping. camping.jpg

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That's a mega trip DW and I are planning for 2029 when I retire and the boys are out of school. If things are still shut down in nine years I'm going to start a revolution.

James Rucker and neighbormike like this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

We of course are inviting anyone and everyone up to camp with us. Weather booning or at a NFS campground. Seems things will have been loosened up in the next month or two. Good food, brews and people is a plus while camping. [:)C][Guitar][CAT]

Kyle R Thorson and BillyMc like this.
  13. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yup a little fishing helps a lot. No cell service here either: CBFD787E-1F17-44BB-BD39-54647D969460.jpeg 891E36C1-F725-4C0B-9E78-3E09A0080BB5.jpeg

14. Arlyn Aronson

We'll be out camping in some fashion in the next month or so. Of course, our camper is still in winter storage. [EEK] Nonetheless I'd guess the NFS will keep the CG's officially closed for a while but we'll get out to boon-dock when summer kicks in. And we'll not infect anyone on the way there, or back. [:O)]

FARfetched likes this.
  15. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I'm curious how you find places to boondock. I'm in East TN, about 1 hour from the GSMNP, and when the leaves are down, often see 4 wheel drive paths. Do you just follow one and set up camp? I'm sure not everyone wants to give up their good secret site, but curious how you start this journey!

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It depends on the area you're in. In many places, boondocking is allowed on public lands such as national forests, but not national parks. Often there are restrictions, such as distance from roads, etc. You have to check out the various jurisdictions. While we do not boondock for a number of reasons (not counting backpacking, which is sort of boondocking++), we're used to it being allowed here in the west. Many places on USFS and BLM lands allow boondocking, but checking on current restrictions is necessary - for instance, at the moment there are fire bans on all of the national forests in NM.

17. Arlyn Aronson

We've only ever done this on State and National forests. We have lots on NF land around here which it is legal to do with certain restrictions.

In these are logging roads that are used to harvest woods from which will have landings. These are wide spots to temporarily store logs at which can be good camp, but all you really need is a wide enough spot to get off the RD. If the logging RD looks underused, then we'll check them out. Sometime we leave the camper, sometimes we take it along to check spots out.

No secret spots for us, if you get to the UP* this summer, we'll give you some suggestions or go camping with you. We still have snow on the ground here!

*the upper peninsula of MI. This is located above Wisconson.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    EmilyW, BBQdave and kitphantom like this.
  18. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I love the tip to unhook the camper and drive a little. Very smart. We would be comfortable dry camping as long as we aren't trespassing! So far focusing on weekend trips, so won't be as far north as you... Maybe next summer post pandemic!♥️

19. Arlyn Aronson

I'm glad you got a few idea's but I should add some minor details. When we are close to wherever we'd like to camp in the NF and note a logging road that's weedy (not used), we usually just walk in and look for a camp site. In our forest, its normal to not go in very far and be out of sight from the the road you drove in on. Our goal is to not be very far in anyway, just far enough to be out of sight and our camp smoke not be visible at the main road as well.. In our camper we bring one of the those cheesy, folding, camp fire rings. I'll post a list "special" things we have with us. Walking should tell you the condition of the road. Here unused logging roads get weedy fast and hard to see what the road surface is like. I'm sure where you live its different.

EmilyW likes this.
  20. Arlyn Aronson

Here is a few things we have long for Boon-Docking. This list is rather short because you should already have many items in your camper. Right? :grin::tongue::smiley::cool::kiss::laugh:[:D][A][:O)][?:~{]

Things to consider having along for Boon-docking. Of course your forest, weather and situation is different.

Enough water, and we bring a filtering system along as well.

Folding fire ring, and we also bring enough wood along to have one fire with us.

Rake, axe and shovel.
    This is for fire control and a forest bathroom. We normally have many wood cutting tools with is.

Bug control. We usually have a HD weed whacker with us to knock grass down, some fogging bug spray and deterrent chemical for your arms and face.

Folding table and chairs.

What else do you need?

Amybejo and EmilyW like this.