boon-docking for the summer of 2020?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Arlyn Aronson, Mar 31, 2020.

1. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

Smart to include the firering. We might go nose around without the camper and get a feel of what's available. With the mountains and hills around here, I wouldn't expect that we would need to go far off the road to have privacy. Thanks for the tips!!

2. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

What do you do for toilet usage? Do you have a system set up in your camper, or do you just dig holes? Thanks for the list!!

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Just the shovel.

EmilyW likes this.
  4. Alison Sweet

Alison Sweet New Member

We are going boondocking for the first time in 2 weeks. We have a toilet and I’m wondering where you can dump it at the end of the trip? Also wondering where you dump the gray water.

EmilyW likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I dump it in the toilet when we get home. My grey water drains into a bucket which I put out fires with. We have a hand pump sink so not much grey.

EmilyW likes this.
  6. Arlyn Aronson

Camping off the grid is easy.... :)

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If the area I'm camping a vault toilet or dump station I do it there. Some truck stops have dump stations, but unsure of any charges. If needed I can dump at home via a clean out plug in my sewer line. As mention earlier you can dump in the toilet at home, just use care to not splash.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  8. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Member

Not sure if this has been addressed yet but here in AZ NF website Boondocking=Dispersed Camping. Under the camping/cabins section, there is usually a dispersed camping section. Rules regulations vary by NF but it should all be outlined on their website. That is all the camping we have primarily done. Here in AZ, for example, Prescott NF and Tonto NF allow dispersed camping (AKA boondocking) only at designated spots however Coconino NF and BLM land will allow you to camp almost anywhere with some restrictions. Hope this is helpful. It can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know what to look for.
    Good Luck

EmilyW and kitphantom like this.
  9. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Starting to bookmark possible boondocking sites in case NY state campgrounds don't open up. We have solar and a genny, so good on power. A portable toilet is on the way so we aren't relying on possibly sketchy vault toilets or doing "the hover" at dark o'clock. Water, well, there's a tank on board. Some Star San to sanitize it, and we should be set. Fingers crossed.

EmilyW likes this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

We are near the Ottawa NF and we can camp most places. No wells but we like to be near a lake or creek, no generator, no solar panels, no port-a-potty. We bring our own water or filter it.

EmilyW likes this.