Boondocking damage

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Anthony Hitchings, May 19, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

a robust bushy thing (passing for a tree, in the Kaibab N.F. outside the Grand Canyon) put this crease in the side of our Aliner.

So be careful when driving and backing up amongst the "trees" in a well used area that is still well "forested".

We only discovered this 9 days after we got home.

Our vacation photos allowed us to pinpoint the day and place of damage.

Attached Files:

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's not damage. It's patina. It's battle scarring. It's a sign that you've been places!

It's also amazing...that you didn't notice it for so long! :)

Sweetpea, kitphantom, jmkay1 and 4 others like this.
  3. hayyward

hayyward Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Ouch! Are there any punctures?

4. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I am going to agree with Dingit and, Where are the trip pictures, I feel safe in saying that you will design some mystery tool and push the dents out, besides that would not have happened if you were drinking and had lockers right? :)>)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

no punctures, no scratch, just the drag-crease

6. Anthony Hitchings

No beers had been consumed at that time, circa 5 pm; and I don't need no steenking lockers :) (4WD with Traction Control works just peachy)

The creases will stay as-is, as a reminder to me to be a wee bit more careful next time.

It was nice to be able to camp (boondock) close-ish to the east entrance to Grand Canyon South Rim (i.e., no reservations, and the main nearby campground inside the park was booked solid.).

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Ouch, but glad it wasn't more serious than that. I've found myself in interesting situations a couple of times. The only option was to back into bushes. Thank goodness other than a bent bumper no other damage.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Fish N Farm

When you get tired of slapping your self every time you look at it I bet you fix it.

Sweetpea, Sjm9911 and jmkay1 like this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Nope - at my age (70) I am more particular about which chores to adopt as worthy causes!

Arlyn Aronson, Sweetpea, _WW_ and 2 others like this.
  10. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

Congratulations, you're living more than most the people out there. It's all part of making memories.

Sweetpea and Arruba like this.
  11. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It will generate more memories and discussions than some gift shop sticker would.

12. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey New Member

What are lockers?

PaThacker and Sweetpea like this.
  13. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

I was wondering about that too. Glad it was just a crease, we still haven't even gone out yet, well a sort of close to home camping, along a beautiful river, but not with sweetpea, she will be coming soon is though. Now we have a great TV, and still need new tires and the bungee on her fixed, soon, very?? soon.

14. Fish N Farm

Lockers are a device installed in the differential of your TV it locks both axles together so there is no slippage. In a lot of instances a 2wd vehicle can do as well are better than a 4wd vehicle. A vehicle with front and rear lockers will crawl up anything that your tires will bite on. There is no slippage. A DAPCO or a lock rite work fine for trail work but are dangerous in wet or icy conditions. The best two are ARB and Eaton. The Jeep Rubicon comes with Eaton E-lockers. Anthony and I spar back and forth over the need of them. Anthony actually has a version of lockers that he doesn't confess to. It is not as solid of a lock up but still dam good. Anthony's Jeep came with a traction control device is is just not called a locker. If you were adding one of these systems to your TV the E-Locker or the ARB would be the best choice because of simplicity. The ARB is controlled by air and you would have an onboard compressor to fill your tires if you installed one of them. I have used my front locker very little but, when needed I would not like to be caught w/o it. You can go a lot of places w/o them like Anthony says but, limiting tire slippage tearing up the road in mud and deep sand is part of the Tread Lightly campaign to keep fools like me and Anthony being able to have access to the none beaten paths. I will tell you and I am sure Anthony will agree. You can't see the American West from a commercial airplane nor most paved highways. Anthony has pulled his trailer on the Hole in the Rock trail and others he is plenty savvy on off road travel and brave enough to do it. Look up Black Bear Road in Colorado. Now that is not for the average driver and no trailers but you can camp near by and drive that trail with the proper vehicle. The scenery is unbelievable. You could spend a week roaming around in Canyon Lands National Park and not see 1/2. When the weather is right one could tow a properly set up PUP around White Rim Trail. That would take two days to do it right. You can drive the Shaffer switch backs down in a school bus just rough and un paved. Monument Valley is one of the few beautiful places in the west that is paved.

15. Anthony Hitchings

Re: Canyonlands.... You can also go down the other switchbacks to Mineral Bottom, and drive around to a few hiking locations, as a day trip (e.g., Taylor Canyon).. Or hike 2/3 of Murphys Hogback trail (from the top) as an in/out (not a loop) for an excellent day trip. We intend to explore Canyonlands further. On our last trip we camped outside the park in a BLM site.

My guess was that trailers are not allowed on the White Rim Road, but I could not find anything definitive on the park website.
    I guessed wrong - they are/were allowed; this person flipped their overland-style trailer (it looked top heavy)

I do think that taking a trailer on that road is a less than ideal plan.

Attached Files:

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Top heavy that trailer would flop on paved roads

17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I agree, looks like that trail might be top heavy.