boondocking difficulty?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Arlyn Aronson, May 23, 2018.

1. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

My partner likes boondocking, while I much prefer staying at NF campgrounds. We'll probably go back to a place we have boondocked at in the Okanogan National Forest later on in the season (it still had about 6 feet of snow about a week ago) and maybe to a site that we scoped out over Memorial Day weekend, to make him happy.

From our boondocking adventure in 2016:

DSCN9639.JPG DSCN9675.JPG DSCN9668.JPG

gladecreekwy and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Like a poster said...If you have never been out west...you should.....Wide open spaces
    Snow in July is common

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, we still got snow here.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have driven thru in my rig but have not had a chance to play in the woods.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

That I can believe, We were on bikes in July and got snowed on...a cool ride

6. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Have so say that I haven't seen much snow in July here in Washington State. Perhaps toward the top of Rainier, but other than that, no so much.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Its only in snow dumps that we have snow remaining here... :) In town, we rolled a bit over 300" this past year.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  8. Arlyn Aronson

Many FS campground around here are near Boondocking and still quite nice.

9. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I'm just a fan of not having to pack out stuff after a 2-3 day stay.

Also, I'd never thought I'd say that I appreciate vault toilets, but yeah... :)

10. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

I went up and camped by your little pond last summer. BRRRRRRR
    I swam a bit, but it was so cold!

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Great site and wonderful Scenery the pictures are great ! Thanks for sharing
    Good Luck and Keep On Camping

12. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

This is why our next 4runner will be 4wd!

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Yes popup gizmos work on both pups and hybrids. I’m on my 3rd canvas clad unit each with custom cut gizmos. You can not sleep past 6am or sit in a bunk end in direct sun without gizmos.
    Even with ac tent ends are unbearable. The gizmos kick butt in summer and work better in winter to keep heat in bunk ends and not rising out. They also prevent condensation and have the vapor barrier occur ontop of tent canvas instead of below in living areas (hot/cold zone)

KamperKel likes this.
  14. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

We boondock all the time, and love it. Many times I find NF campgrounds in out of the way places that don't get used much. The advantages? They have pit toilets and not too many people. I Google national forests and then pick the state and the area I want and look for ones that have light to moderate use listed. They don't have hookups, but I don't need hookups.

Toedtoes and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  15. Arlyn Aronson

Thanks to all who responded and include just how easy and fun it is. Let me add, if we think we might be short on potable water, we bring a filter along. These are inexpensive, small to pack and easy to bring along. We have them for hiking anyway.

16. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I camp so that I can be away from most people, or simply just to stay out dirt biking longer than a single afternoon. Love the water/electrical availability of a traditional campground, but can't stand being around all the people, and their kids, and their dogs, and......

The older I get, the less patient I am with others. Maybe its my line of work (healthcare), but when I want to relax, I don't want to deal with others' lack of responsibility. Also, we usually camp with close friends and family, so we almost always have enough of our own drama to deal with, we don't need any extra. To get around the water and electrical demands, we always camp around a water supply and use a filter/pump setup to give us all that we can use. This is especially important when we have the only working hot shower for 5-6 families. I install solar on every Pup/RV I come across because sometimes its nice to have a movie night under the stars! I usually take along a helmet camera and my tablet or laptop for video editing of our more scenic rides. Water and electrical used to be our limiting factors when camping, but not anymore. Usually have 3-4 big bottles of propane along, as well. Mama always said......"If you're gonna do it, do it to the best of your ability!" Of course, if time doesn't allow, I'll just camp in my yard. Living in Montana has its privileges.

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views: