Boondocking first trip of the season. Annual statewide trout opener weekend.

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by PaThacker, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

C701119F-4C14-4F64-9521-BCFA73C0900D.jpeg https://www.facebook.com/steven.brogna.5/posts/10209071212897590
    Great weekend to kick off Boondocking 2018. I’m on site E-9 of Delaware State Forest doing an off grid deercamp recon and trout fishing weekend. Class a world reknown pocono trout waters. My facebook post gives everything you need to start booning with pups on the east coast, huh. Yup Pennsylvania Boondocking on State Land.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Blue Bear, Jorja and jnc like this.
  2. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Great set-up for boondocking in PA

Great pics and details of how you set up. We're getting things together to start boondocking in our camper and I appreciate seeing your pics and explanations.

And I was just talking to a coworker about how I figured we wouldn't be able to boondock in PA.

Questions:

It looks like for motorized camping the camping permits are free but you must contact the phone number for that local forest office. Plus abide by their restrictions listed.

So the numbers on the PDF for this

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20031808.pdf

Is this how you figured out who to contact?

Plus, you are in a designated dispersed campsite? (Mentioned in the brochure?)

Thanks for sharing this and happy camping!

3. PaThacker

Hi I directly contact the local DCNR PA State Forest district office. I email with intentions of dispersed motorized camping and they respond with form gathering info. Without out pre scouting I said I have a k2500 sub and 19 foot trailer. Which site do you approve? They knew I would enjoy this site. I was able to pull head on into driveway and with a few jack knives turn the pup around.

Jorja likes this.
  4. PaThacker

Here is the map

Attached Files:

Jorja likes this.
  5. PaThacker

Hopefully other PA State Forest get on board and offer these through out the state. I posted my enthusiasm about this boondocking opportunity back in 2016 on the boondocking thread. Took me two years to dive in. Last year I didn’t camp that much after going through horrific divorce with kids.

Jorja likes this.
  6. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Mr. Jorjas pretty excited to find this out to. He's a deer hunter so I think he's envisioning hunting trips in the camper now.

Agree, hope this catches on in PA. In Delaware (the state) there's only one state park you can dry camp at in one of three campsites for free.

You just have to call ahead to reserve one of the sites. We like that it's secluded, free and with the added bonus of free firewood available from the ranger.

Looking forward to exploring boondocking in PA

7. PaThacker

I did the initial Facebook tell me about your trip as a public broadcast to inspire pups, boondocking, tips on effective deer hunting tactics and trout fishing.
    My primary deer hunting trips are backpacking in 8 miles with 65 pound backpacks. I backpack camped every weekend of archery season in 2017 Sunday to Tuesday due to schedule change at work

Jorja likes this.
  8. PaThacker

I have evolved as canvas camper enthusiast owning 2 popups and hybrid bunkhouse over the past 10 years. Many trips from state parks, resorts, boondocking, long distance towing, and all types of backpacking and canoe camping.

Winter camping in tents, pup, and hybrid.

Attached Files:

Jorja likes this.
  9. PaThacker

Old hybrid bunkhouse hybrid. Raised two kids in it birth to age 8. Had to let it go in divorce. 3BCB922E-FABB-480F-994E-4D253861ED1D.jpeg

10. PaThacker

Old glamper pup Ac, cassette pottie shower and horrible construction. Flagstaff 625d. 68A85032-3C9A-4FAE-A805-6F4FC1D344F9.jpeg

11. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Another question

You mention heated beds. I thought heated mattress pads wouldn't run while dry camping?

I was looking at reflectex in the bunk end windows, pop up gizmos, extra blankets and maybe an extra large hot water bottle for nighttime. Plus dual propane and solar panels to keep charge to deep cycle 220 AH battery.

Or are you using the generator to run power to heat the mattress?

For deer season - keeping warm would be high on the list (verses conversely keeping cool while dry camping in summer)

12. PaThacker

C4AD5B24-04A5-4499-8767-995C95B2B52A.jpeg Hi PA deer season starts last Saturday of September or first of October. Temps are summer like first half of archery until Halloween. Week of Halloween could be 8 “ of snow and low of teens. Rut turns on and temps dip even colder first week of November. Backpacking all season was carrying full cold weather gear for three weeks. In pup day like today was 33f and rain can you say brutal yes. The same conditions of late November and December Rifle Season. I ran the furnace over night and have 3” gel foam plus factory foam. I have cotton sheets, fleece and wool blanket. I rarely use the heated mattress.
    You would need to run generator all night. If booning no problem, but in primitive organized you cannot run them after 8 pm. Use camper furnace and next morning fire up generator. I recharged battery and ran 1500 watt space heater with 2000 watt Yamaha.
    All technology was recharged or used live utilizing shumacher jump box. Picture shows cell phone charging. 12 volt tv, 12 volt dvd, 12 volt Sirius satelite boom box.

Jorja likes this.
  13. PaThacker

Reflectix and gizmos. Ambient outside 20f inside 65. On full hookup or replicate with 24 hour generator. I was fully winterized in this setup and used aquatainer. No showering at all. In pup you would have a frozen water tank since most are hung below above the axle. Travel trailer eat al have them inside living space and only waste tanks exposed to elements or protected by chloroplast panel 1AAB2E88-FEAC-4723-9B30-2C48A60DF995.jpeg F0507563-5C6E-4CDD-A864-B8FF8B3DB4BE.jpeg

Jorja likes this.