Boondocking in Az

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by czwildcat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. czwildcat

czwildcat Member

Where to boondock in Payson area?

2. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

Most people I think boondock up in the rim area. I know there are places east of Payson to go but have never been over there myself. Houston Mesa Campground is at the north end of Payson and according to camparizona.com it is an all season camp ground.

http://www.camparizona.com/campsites/paysoncampsites/Houston%20Mesa.htm

Here is the Forest Service page for Houston Mesa.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonto/null/recarea/?recid=35559&actid=31

Here is a Forest Service page for dispersed camping (boondocking)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/tonto/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=35199&actid=34

Hopefully this will help you get off to a good start. I was looking for a map that you could look at but didn't find one online. I found that to be strange though. [;)]

Overland likes this.
  3. grantar2

grantar2 Member

Ok the link to the campgrounds can lead to some disturbing material for what appears to be an offical website. I clicked on the first link for camp arizona, selected central region, White Tank Mountain, and then campground video (pretty desolate) then Kayak fishing. This guy is in an inflatable sevlor kayak, and the background music starts, a pig squeals, then you realize its the sound track from the movie deliverance. Does not make me want to fish this spot. [?]

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Remember that boondocking is camping in the wilderness outside of a formal CG. Two of those lists above appear to be for CGs. The last one looks like it might have more promise. The last time I was in the area was for an Arizona boondock rally. We were north of 260 near Wallace Road. There are many great areas up there. You just have to get out there and look around.

5. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

Yea, UT I know that there are two links to campsites. The OP posted in another thread about campgrounds. I was trying to cover both threads as I am the one that brought up the boondocking to him in the other thread.

6. ogre93

ogre93 New Member

Wife requires a campground but my neighbor boondocks up on the rim all the time. I believe he likes to go somewhere near the Rim Lakes Area. I have also seen many people boondocking along the forest service roads around Kendrick Mtn. near Flagstaff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. CajunMan

CajunMan New Member

FR 300 is long and has many great places to stop along the way!

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  8. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson New Member

I have camped near Bear Canyon Lake. Apache Sitgreaves National forest covers a large portion of the Mogollon Rim but you need to check out their dispersed camping areas as the are very specific as to where you can and can not camp as opposed to Coconino National forest that does not have designated dispersed camping spots. As CajunMan said FR 300 is a very scenic route and has some dispersed camping available.
    Apache Sitgreave link
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/asnf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=44617&actid=34
    Coconino link
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=54884&actid=34

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  9. CajunMan

CajunMan New Member

This may be a good place to continue with AZ boondocks spots (since it's named that). I'm in Mesa and like to hit the Rolls area, and have gone to Forest Lakes. What other good spots do you know?

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  10. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson New Member

I like the Wolf Creek area south of Prescott and BLM land around the Agua Fria National Monument.

CajunMan likes this.
  11. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Coconino Forest has plenty of dispersed camping spots. They have an app which shows where dispersed camping is allowed. It’s very cool to use. You can visit their website and down the AVENZA map app. I love using it and creating pins of my favorite spots. Plus it’s easy to send friends and family members the GPS pin information for sharing.

Sorry, can’t share my favorite spots. :rolleyes: But you can find and create your own with AVENZA.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

CajunMan likes this.
  12. AZJayco81

AZJayco81 New Member

Find Kinnikinnick (spelling?) lake east of flagstaff, the road from Lake Mary Rd to the lake has dispersed camping, call the FS and get more details. It’s been a few years but nice place to be in the summer time.

CajunMan and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I just received a cancellation for my upcoming Easter camping trip at a campground. There might only be dispersed camping for awhile because of campground closures.

Happy Camping if you can...[ALPU][PUT]