Boondocking in Central-Northern California

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Bottom End, May 8, 2015.

1. Bottom End

Bottom End Member

Hey Everyone.

Any suggestions on Boondocking places in Central-Northern California?

I love to fish and the dogs love to swim.

I live in the Bay Area.

Thanks

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Following...

Would be good to know. LOTS of state campgrounds along all the rivers and around the lakes.

3. R00

R00 Active Member

Head for the Sierras...thats what we do to get off grid.

4. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

Lots of nice camping off of Hwy 108 east of Oakdale. Also, my favorite area is around Trinity Lake.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'll be there in August. I'm heading into the Trinity-Shasta National Forest, the Klamath National Forest and the Rogue River National Forest. All national forests allow "dispersed camping" which is boondocking by another name. Be sure to take everything you'll need because you have nothing but what you brought when you are camping outside of a formal CG in the wilderness.

6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

We're heading to Hume Lake in the Sequoia National Forest in July. We'll be in the campgrounds, but I've seen boondockers elsewhere the park.

7. kennykamper

kennykamper Member

We use to tent camp and tow are boat to Lake Pillsbury all the time . Id like to take the pop up out there . You get off the free way in Ukiah 101 on highway 20 passlake Mendocino then end up on a dirt road in potter valley for a wile. It what you would call the boon docks there is only two places on the lake that have supply's and fuel . If you look at a map its north of Clear Lake. We usually stayed at sunset point or Oak flats.

8. alloffroad

alloffroad Member

A bit of a jaunt but plumas county. I grew up in lassen county and love to camp in plumas county. Lots of lakes and streams with no hook ups and free.

9. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

There is dispersed camping in the National Forests, but right now you probably can not have a campfire. or a bbq.

10. nshows

nshows New Member

with the dispered camping how does one find the spots? Do I call them and ask? permits? I want to boondock (disperse camp) but I guess I also want to know where I am going and ensure my Pup can make it through. Am I completely defeating the purpose now?

11. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

It takes some research. Satellite maps help, ask around on the internet or locals. I have called the local park rangers to enquire about the feasibility of fire roads. When in doubt about proceeding further down a fire road I stop before passing a good turn-around spot and walk to check it out. Nothing worse than backing up half a mile. Make sure you have a true GPS that does not require mobile internet to work, and know how to use it. Download satellite maps of the area you'll be in for off-line use.

That is the good thing about a PUP, you can really get out in the sticks while still retaining some of the camper comforts. One could never do this with a large RV. But you have to be smart about it or things could get ugly.