Boondocking in Idaho this weekend.

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by rsttoole, Jun 6, 2013.

1. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

Headed out for some boondocking in the mountains of Idaho this weekend. We will be in bear country in our pup. I will have my Ruger loaded at my bedside at night. I hope 6 - .357 rounds will do more than make him mad!

2. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Make sure they're Magnum rounds! What part you heading to? We went up to Ketchum over Mem Wknd and it got chilly at night.

3. RichN

RichN New Member

Bear spray is your best bet, along with a clean campsite. Can you shoot a basketball rolling downhill towards you? That is the best simulation of a bear coming at you. Your gun is only good when he is actually eating you.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Hand gun is only good for close up bear protection; basically, the bear is in your face or coming into the pup. The bears I have seen in eastern ID/western WY (basically over by Alta WY/Driggs ID) are decent size blacks.

But I'll go with bear spray so long as the wind is at your back and not too strong. And noise...not talking bells, but blacks usually keep away from humans.

Hiking I carried UDAP bear spray and a .44 mag, 4", but the .44 was only for last resort.

The numerous times I tent camped in the area mentioned, I was never bothered by a bear. (But I did, and I still do, sleep with a short 12 gauge with steel slugs. [:D] )

Going further north, there might be some browns.

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Keep food inside your popup and you may get to test it out.

6. RonB

RonB New Member

I travel with a Ruger Blackhawk .357mag too and I am legal to carry in many of the national park and BLM grounds. But my first line of defense is still bear spray. If you have it clipped on your belt or pack strap you can get it off, flip the safety clip and lay down a path of pain between yourself and the bear pretty darned quickly.

Clarify - I did NOT SAY commercial pepper spray; I said BEAR SPRAY. It is much more potent. In close quarters combat I will rely on a broader pattern of that stuff than praying I get one lucky kill-shot off. If the spray confuses him and pisses him off I can have the gun ready -- I hope.

RonB