Boondocking

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Bullfrog Bheer, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

With the price of CG's, and sites being booked up, I've considered many times about just going to my brother's farm and boondocking out back in the woods, but wonder what in the heck you do all day with nothing to do.

At a CG, we like to go swimming and ride our bikes on the trails. We like to go for walks and view others peoples sites and setups. We might visit with some people if thay seem friendly. Even if I'm alone, I'll play solitaire and read. I also like to have a radio on listening to music or the Brewers. Certainly not going to have a radio on tho, when running off the battery.

I'm not knocking boondocking at all, I just can't imagine what to do all weekend long, when totally isolated with no power to spare.
    Please give me some imput.

2. FC

FC Central Florida

Take family or friends with you and play games,cook, eat,just be social and have fun. It's what you make it.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I usually go alone because I like the solitude. I hike and do a lot photography and reading. Sometimes I hike from the campsite but it is often necessary to drive to other locations. There are many trail heads up and down the national forest roads. I also do some meditation.

4. RonB

RonB New Member

Strictly speaking we do little boondocking. But we routinely park for 3-5 days at a time, in national parks or BLM facilities, without hookups and never get bored -- seldom deplete battery. We spend a lot of time visiting with other campers. Other than busy weekends, we have found fellow campers to be pretty interesting folks.

Our trailer has what amounts to an automotive stereo radio and it must not pull much power. We run it all the time. The CD player probably uses a little more because of the motor. When in doubt about the trailer battery we hook up to the tow vehicle and run for 30 minutes to boost charge a little.

RonB

5. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

Radios don't draw much power, take a portable with batteries. Add another battery, solar panel, upgrade your lights to LEDs or all those optins. State land has a lot of trails for hiking , biking or atvs. One thing to think about is unless the area has been used before you have to set up the fire area,collect the wood , do some clearing depending on growth. As far as what to do a hamock works anywhere, the cooking can be more time consuming because you have it and you can always fall back on more fire time.

6. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

I haven't done any boondocking, I read what a few people have to say about it though. I try to keep busy around the site part of the day, going through the camper and the truck and seeing what I could leave behind or what it would be nice to have.
    Last trip I walked around and took a bunch on pics while the kid was off chasing lizards. I'm a lousy photographer so I figure if I take a hundred shots I may get a good one.
    Started reading the "Autobiography of Mark Twain" last trip and got sunburned for my efforts. I work in an IT department, any time my phone isn't ringing is good for me so I can just "hang out" for a while and I am cool with that. Just being unplugged and having some peace and quiet is nice.
    I like to chat up fellow campers to; find out what they do, where they are from, where else they like to camp, all that kind of stuff. Most people are pretty cool and it's pretty easy to spot people who don't want to talk.
    Anyway, find something you enjoy and try it out to see if it works for you.

7. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

We do a lot of Boondocking. Here in the Ozarks, we camp in the National forest. Lots to do, we usually camp near a stream. You can canoe/kayak, hike/backpack, stream fish (Trout, Smallies), swim in the crystal clear rock bottom streams, mountain bike, explore forest/log roads in a Jeep or ATV, etc... Or just read a book relaxing next to a waterfall.

The only thing missing when boondocking, are the crowds, loud neighbors and standing in line at the shower house. I have to say, the thing you will miss the most when boondocking is TIME, because you'll run out of that way to fast and you will not want to go home! [;)]

If your really interested in boondocking....Get your sights set [%] on purchasing the correct gear and you'll be as comfortable as any full service campground, with lots to do. "PROMISE"

[​IMG]
    OZARKS Haw Creek Falls
    Camping right next to this stream - Boondocking in the National Forest

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I always wondered about that too, which is why we've never done it. If I could find a place near a body of water I would try it. Without fishing I think I would get bored quickly.

9. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

We usually boondock near rivers or reservoirs and spend time fishing. We've been known to enjoy old farts happy hour (nap). Having a good genny helps keep the battery charged. We always boondock when Elk and Deer hunting. If there is nothing else to do we hike, glass for wildlife or simply enjoy the roaring silence. It's only as boring as you let it be.
    MR

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

For me camping is largely about getting in touch with nature. I've sat in front of the trailer for up to an hour just listening to the birds and counting as many different bird calls/songs as I could distinguish. I also try to see as many different species of birds as I can. And yes, like MR, I also enjoy periods of silence. "Doing" something doesn't always require physical activity.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I could live without the power no problem. I've camped with no hook-ups my entire life. It's only the last few years I've gotten sites with electric. But I really, really need a body of water.

When I lived in the city and suburbs, boondocking without water would have been appealing to me. But now, we literally live in the middle of the woods. We have many acres of forest and put our home in the center of it. We even snaked our driveway around so it's a nice dirt road through the woods with no line of sight to the main road. We're surrounded by thick woods on all four sides so we can commune with nature from home.

However, we are missing water. Had I thought this through more, I would have bought property along the river. The fact that I didn't at least gives us a reason to go camping. [:D] We camp at the beach 90% of the time since we moved to Florida and we could never afford property on the coast. I spend most of my time walking the beach finding beautiful shells and sharks teeth. I LOVE the uncrowded beaches of FL! Often, I'll only see a few other people.

If I could boondock in a location on the coast I'd be all over it!

12. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

If we did it, I think we'd have to do it in the early Spring or late Fall. You don't want to Set foot in my brothers woods in summertime when the mosquitoes and deerflies are around.

I hunt, so I could sit and watch nature for hours or hike, but I don't think the kids would be patient for too long.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

While we don't boondock with the pup (backpacking is our version), most of the campgrounds we use are public ones with no hook ups. Some are a lot more out of the way than others; we prefer uncrowded conditions, but put up with some to visit national parks and the like.
    One reason to camp is to visit an area, hike it, photograph it, etc., so some days we're not in camp much. When I do spend extended time in a campground (usually as DH hikes or backpacks something too extreme for me), I walk the loops, any nearby trails, read, knit and just enjoy the outdoors.

My parents had a cabin in the woods less than half an hour from our house, so I grew up spending lots of weekend time there. We had power, but only a radio for years (my dad would occasionally listen to baseball), so I was used to just enjoying the woods, without an agenda. Camping is just an extended version of that time for me.

14. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

We fish, swim, explore, DW knits, I read - we usually go to get away from everything and everybody and leave the rest up to whatever mood strikes us at the time. DW scored a 4-day weekend next weekend, so we're running away again. We're gonna take our bicycles for the first time, so we'll see how that works out - if we even use them. We tend to do a lot of just walking around, seeing what there is to see - not so much "hiking" as just poking around. DW likes to look for unique rocks to put into her flower beds (she found a chunk of black obsidian about the size of a basketball on a recent venture, and we have no clue how it got there - there's no obsidian around here.)

Basically, we usually have no agenda or list of things to do. More than anything else we go to be with each other without distractions. Boondocking in a place that's not near a body of water to fish or swim in isn't for everyone. We've only done that a time or two, and those times were because there was something else we wanted to do nearby.

15. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hey Bullfrog Bheer!

Boondocking is great! No loud obnoxious camping neighbors (we've all had some of those) ... beautiful and quiet surroundings without someone else's blaring rap music or heavy metal thrash-music... Nature sounds, like birds, and other wildlife... walking through the forest without seeing other human beings...

I don't fear the wildlife... just be sensible, keep a clean camp, and keep an air-horn near you to chase-away critters, large and small.

So I spend most of my time fly fishing, tying flies, star-gazing, reading, writing in my journal, napping in deafening silence, enjoying a nice little campfire... And inside the camper, I use a tiny little LED lantern that has the same batteries in it as when I bought it, over two seasons ago! It's plenty of light without having to use the camper's lights. I do bring a battery-operated weather radio, but have yet to be able to get a signal at the places I camp... and I do also bring a little battery-operated boom-box that doesn't get much use---but I like having it, in case I just need to hear Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Miroslav Vitous, or other music. Sometimes I just need to hear some good jazz, that's all. But not too often. When camping, it's all about being in the great outdoors, away from technology, away from ringing telephones, television, and the computer. These are the things I value while camping.

On occasion, I'll stay in a campground, but that's not often... once a year or twice a year, and that's all. And even though those are enjoyable stays, it's much nicer in the forest, in the mountains, truly away from it all. There aren't swimming pools, but there are high-mountain lakes and streams. My camper has a shower and a potti, so I'm good there, too!

We all camp for our own individual reasons... And long as you're truly enjoying yourself, then by all means, camp lots!

Kim

16. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Totally argee Kim!!!! [:D] I go camping to get away from people like that. If your going to blare you music that loud, why even go camping..thats not camping, that just plain inconsiderate and you should stay home. Want loud music, go to a bar! Want to go camping and be with nature, then go boondocking! [:D] The wife and I read alot when camping, go check out all the trials, kayak, fish, and just plain sit and watch nature. you would be surprised what you can see when you sit on the edge of the woods and just watch.

JJ

17. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Her first name wouldn't be Lucy, would it?

http://www.videosurf.com/video/i-love-lucy-long-long-trailer-1278073825

Chip

18. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Going to a campground with no hookups is dry camping, but it's not boondocking. Boondocking means going to a site of your choice away from developed campgrounds with no designated sites, no hookups, etc.

We love boondocking and have never been bored. We fill our days hiking, birdwatching, doing photography, fishing, etc. Evening brings cocktail hour and a relaxing dinner. At night, it's stargazing, reading, enjoying talking about the day.

We live in a city and we are hardly interested in chatting with neighboring campers. We will politely speak to our neighbors if we are in a campground but we keep to ourselves. If we camp with friends, that's different.

We're looking forward to three weeks of mostly boondocking in the Utah deserts this August. We'll visit a few state parks along the way but we look forward to that wild camping on BLM lands that we love so much. No light for miles and miles, just us, the weeds and the wilderness. It's the best kind of camping there is.

19. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

You're a man after my own heart, Travelhoveler!

They call it "Dispersed Camping" around here. We enjoy the solitude of the mountains, the music of the streams and waterfalls, and prefer to share our campsite with species other than our own. Our excursions into the wilderness are more wandering and exploring than military style, lay-down-the-miles, goal oriented hiking. Though we've done our share of meandering, we're by no means "hikers." We do have some rather well traveled hiking sticks though. Come to think of it, maybe rambling sticks would be a more fit description.

[​IMG]

Chip

20. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed! Dispersed camping = Boondocking.
    We love it but do end up in some primitive campgrounds periodically with vault toilets and fire rings.
    In earlier posts people question what you can do boondocking. You can do everthing you do at a campground except swim in a man made pool with a thousand other people and kids. I prefer a nice cold mountain lake or stream. You can bike and hike until you are exhausted.
    The number one reason we like to Boondock is to get away from the urban rat race and the local High School/College partiers playing their load music and door slamming at the State and Federal campgrounds.