Bought a Dometic Cabana Awning / Screen room - Love it!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by cjm0mmy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Next time out, I want to remove the cabana and have someone help me fold it like a big blanket, with the mounting strip being the top. As in, hold it up by the strip, fold in half, then again and again until it's about 16" wide, THEN lay it down and roll it up like a tent. After that, it should fit in a Stuff Bag fairly easy! Poles will go inside the door just before locking her down. Now you could fold this the same way, only making it a little shorter than the original bag on that first fold, and it should also roll up fine. But I think I want that smaller footprint.

Good luck!!

[:D]

2. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

Finally, some pictures of our cabana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was July 4th weekend at Holly River State Park. This was also the first time we used it. I instantly fell in love, but my husband is still skeptical because it's such thin material, he doesn't think it'll hold up very well.

The second time we used it, we placed a tarp on the ground, and folded the grey flaps underneath the edges of the tarp. I'll continue to do this until we get a woven mat.

3. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

The pics didn't go through.

4. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

I didn't have my picasa album set to share, they should be visible now. If not, then I have NO clue what to do.

Try this link https://plus.google.com/photos/103530752362252643784/albums/5909714971729537617?authkey=CN_y967Ok-yrpQE

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Another good looking cabana!!!

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

x2

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

X3! I haven't been able to put mine up yet! Waaaaaaa!!!!!

8. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I received my awning tracks a few days ago so I can mount the lower screen along the frame of the pup.

9. kpic

kpic New Member

Here ya go: Setting up an R Pod Dome.wmv
    They have an interesting modification using suction cups instead of drilling holes. It is around 6:55.
    As the video is titled "Setting up an R Pod Dome" it is a stinker to find.

Another installation using Velcro: Dometic Cabana Velcro modification

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

You big whiny baby!! What's the holdup??

;D

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Now I find it interesting that the sides don't have snaps on that R-Pod, and they have to be as inventive as us puppers!!! I also think it's easier to install on a pup since you control the height at which you do the install!!

Good videos! I'll have to make one when we dry run the lift system and show how I use the ball bungees to attach the sides!!

;D

12. kpic

kpic New Member

Even though I took a hiatus from camping, my experience is and has been all campers are inventive, innovative and willing to share their ideas.

I really do not want to drill holes in the PUP. [:(O] So I will be trying the suction cup idea.

Waiting for your videos or pictures. [:D]

13. vanjr

vanjr New Member

Do any of you use the outside stove and cook with the cabana up? We use the outdoor stove as our main cooking device and wonder how it would do with this particular cabana installed on our fleetwood mesa. I have used our (since destroyed) awaning but am a little worried about this. Trying to decide if just an outdoor mesh tent set up for bug/sun protection is better for us or not. Certainly cheaper.
    thanx

14. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I do, just had it set up over the weekend for our trip. I have a Coleman stove set up in our camp kitchen against one of the Cabana sides. I do keep the flap up so it's just mesh to allow for air flow which I think is important. There is no noticeable heat build up this way and I have no concerns.

I put the awning rails on my frame for the mesh. It should work well as it did in camp driveway but I never used it on our trip. Adding a 2nd, lower rail on the roof for the 11' Cabana worked well and lowered it enough so the sides touch with the over/under conversion.

15. kpic

kpic New Member

Go to ebay and search for dometic cabana and the seller bannerbreeze. [A]

16. popupmurf

popupmurf New Member

Does anyone know if these are still available?
    If so where?

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

RV dealers and Camping World sell the models that attach to an awning rail and are stored in an awning bag. Very expensive.

18. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

That's my one issue with our Cabana, having to remove it and re-install it on the rail every time. It makes it a 2-person job. Oh well, it's still worth it! :)

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Really, it's the only one I can do by myself!! Threading the top through the railing is a bit tough with just one, but I managed. So if *I* can do it, so can you! [A]

I did eventually try the stuff bag method, but I think I like the bag it came in better just because it fits so darn well and it sits right inside the camper door or it's the first thing out of the truck!

Man, I sure wish Bannerbeeze (remember, there is no R in the last half...it's not 'breeze') could fall into another overstock deal like that.

Oh, and instead of velcro or drilling holes. I used the holes in the cabana sides and run a couple of loop bungee balls and it works great AND gives it a little more leeway when the winds come. And to note, if all your privacy screens are down, you WILL experience potential damage since the wind can't pass through.

[:D]

20. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Where can one find those loop bungee balls? The sides of mine are loose so I need to come up with some attachment and that seems to be the prevailing way to do so.