Bought a New PopUp Camper - The Saga | Sad, Traumatic and Eventually All Good

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by sstressfl, Jul 18, 2019.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

We planned to keep our 1997 Starcraft PopUp for many many years. But in the Spring, when we took Phyllis out of storage, there was damage. Serious damage. So after some debate, we decided to let her go. It was emotional for all of us... well mostly for my wife, but we did it. And at first it seemed like we had made a very big mistake.

Senft78, eriefisher and HappyTraveler like this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Need to edit this video down to about 2 minutes or less.

3. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

We got our Rockwood camper from Vermont Country Campers too. Got a good deal on it, but never heard from them again. Usually places will send a courtesy email or call asking how things are going with your camper, or it's been a few years do you want to upgrade, but crickets from them. Never even got a thank you for choosing to buy a camper from them. No biggie i guess but seems kinda odd to me. Glad they were able to make things right for you. Maybe in the last 5 years they have upgraded their customer service.

sstressfl likes this.
  4. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

From what you've described, yes I think they have changed. They take pics with their customers and post them on social media. Are they perfect? Not at all. But my sales guy, Connor, was the nicest guy and very quick to respond to my calls. If I need something they get back to me same day.

5. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m glad the kids are happy with the new camper.

sstressfl likes this.
  6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Isn't there a high limit cutoff switch? I thought all the powered lift's had cutoff switches to prevent that type of mishap.

Also, you didn't explain why you brought it back the 3rd time? You seemed to imply that it wasn't tracking straight, but I somewhat also thought you mean the roof wasn't raising even. Which was it?

7. campfire Joe

Now yes they did take a pic of me and my wife when we bought it. But the guy we bought it from has never even contacted me since. Also the day we picked it up he wasn't there, but we were given a good walk through and set up procedure from another member. All in all the they were adequate i'd say as a dealer, but i just find it unusual that no one ever took time the time to ask us how things were going after we bought it. As a side note i bought a P/u truck from Goss Dodge in VT 3 years ago and we still get emails from them asking how things are going and are we ready for a new truck. Also a camper dealer here in NY that we looked at his popups before we bought the Rockwood still sends me emails wanting to sell me a new one . Glad to see they may have gotten better customer service. Enjoy your new camper. We love ours. And if VT campers ever ask me, That's what i'll tell them, We LOVE IT!:)

sstressfl likes this.
  8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I just checked. The Carefree of Colorodo powered winch lift DOES have limit switches, and the dealer is supposed to set them. I think that's why they offered to fix it for you.

sstressfl likes this.
  9. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

Sorry for the confusion. And yes I was told it'll stop itself and no they did not set the limit switch. The 3rd visit was with our current 2280. It was dog tracking... slightly sidways. The Frame and Spring shop that aligned it said the axle was bent. I bought it that way. They repaired it under warranty.

And the roof that was not even was the one that broke - the 1910. It was close to level, but a little lower in the front than in the back. Invisible to the eye, but it became obvious when I went to install the door.

10. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

Sounds like they are missing out on a great marketing opportunity. Or they have decided to avoid "poking the bear". So glad you like yours! I have another video coming with a detail walk thru addressing the "new build" problems I had to fix. But we are very happy with it!

campfire Joe likes this.
  11. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

I have to agree. My poor kids cried so hard. And my oldest who raised it up sat inside the house blaming himself for breaking it. I didnt know he felt that way and I later explained to him that it was supposed to stop. It wasnt his fault. He understands now but it was surprisingly traumatic for him.

campfire Joe likes this.
  12. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your experience. For us, we always have trended upward in size. I've had four popups over the past 25 years or so, and currently have the Rockwood HW296 which is huge for a popup! I'm sure you won't regret getting the bigger model instead of going smaller.
    My own observation on the issues with these campers is that most of the parts are alright, but the construction and quality control is sloppy. They really put their dealers in an awkward position, although I'm sure they make money off the warranty repairs. Mine came with a damaged roof that the dealer replaced for free. Have to wonder if Rockwood made any money off me after they had to ship a new roof and pay for installation.
    I noticed the "D" on your hat. A Detroit native?

campfire Joe and sstressfl like this.
  13. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

I envy people who have backyards that look like campgrounds! I can't even leave mine in the driveway, or get it into the backyard!

14. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

So true! I was warned about the sloppy assembly on these things (even larger $100,000 campers have the same issues) and was ready to go thru it when I got it home. I'm actually making a video review right now on the fixes I had to make and the camper features. Hoping it'll help someone out there.

You're right... its hard to imagine how they make any money with all of the up-front issues. When I was buying, I was told that most manufacturers are no longer making popups because there is less demand and not much profit (if any) in them.

I was born in Lansing. Raised in Grand Rapids. And there was a period in time when I lived in Novi, Clarkston, & Waterford MI as an adult.

campfire Joe likes this.
  15. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

I know.. this is pretty surreal. I married a Vermonter and we moved to CO for awhile but ended up back in rural VT near her family. It has taken me awhile to get used to this. I'm used to the suburbs. Supercenter Walmart. But I bought a motorcycle 3 years ago and started wandering the winding roads. That helped me make the adjustment. Its amazing. Beautiful. Hardly any traffic. And we live in the middle of the woods on a Maple Farm. But the winters are long. I mean harsh and long. But when Spring finally arrives... oh sweet freedom :)

campfire Joe likes this.
  16. campfire Joe

It's like that here too across the Lake from you!:)

sstressfl likes this.
  17. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

My first on-the-ground experience with the area was in 2004... a drive from Pensacola, FL to Burlington, VT to start my new gig at the Burlington Free Press. I didn't make it to Peru, but I came up 87 and crossed the water at Crown Point. I was in awe! After I drove north from Albany (it was getting dark) the cars peeled off the hwy one by one until I was all alone. For a moment I worried that maybe they knew something I didn't know :) It was creepy but incredible. So quiet. So beautiful! Mountains. Water. Isolation. And twisty fun roads!! I have been close to you in Plattsburg. Took the Ferry over to The Naked Turtle. Thanks for the comments neighbor!

campfire Joe likes this.
  18. campfire Joe

yep as you come up further North on 87 the cars around you just disappear and you are pretty much alone on the road. Tomorrow i'll be over in VT got to pick my wife up at the airport. Of course she will want to shop in some of her favorite stores! She is coming back from AZ. I told her it probably going to be hotter her than AZ!:eek:

sstressfl likes this.