Bought first camper!!!

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Hockeybjj, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Hockeybjj

Hockeybjj Member

Hello, brand new to the forum, wife and I just bought a pop up last weekend and super excited. 1994 Jayco 1207. We love how roomy it is on the inside compared to the others in the price range we looked at. Weighs 1755 empty and my 2010 Subaru outback is rated for 2700 pounds. With only a 2.5L 4 cylinder and a tongue weight limit of 200 (so wouldn't that lock me at 2000 pound towing limit since they say 10% of weight has to be on the tongue?) we'll be keeping it mostly empty to tow, and leaving my 6 speed manual in 5th gear at 60-65 on the highway to not kill the poor thing.

Bought for $2200 which was over our price target of 1500-1700, but this has hydraulic brakes which since I'm pulling with a car we figured we'd end up installing brakes on whatever we bought anyway so this brings it back into price point. Seems like a couple's side job is fixing up pop ups and selling them so it had been professionally cleaned (wife is drastically allergic to mold so this was a huge plus), the small tears patched by them, the corners of canvas reinforced even though they weren't tearing, curtains are all new, and they took us through everything to show that it worked. Meeting my dad halfway between where we live as he has a nice fishing boat and now we can camp instead of tent or pay $$ for a dingy cabin.

I grew up camping in a 9,000 pound trailer, hitch style not 5th wheel and with no fancy slideouts, with my parents and little sister and really enjoyed it. Me and my wife just got married earlier this summer and had been talking about this for a while, and so we pulled he trigger on using a good chunk of the wedding money to buy a memory maker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last picture is a stock I found because we apparently never got a good picture of the couch side before closing it up

FlyfisherBob likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Looks good, enjoy your NTU camper!!

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota! Nice looking rig!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome from VA. I used to have a 1990 jayco but the step down from what you have. Love how you have a couch in yours and drawers, oh how much I miss drawers. Just be sure what your gross weight is on your camper because the dry weight doesn't include propane, battery awning and other options. My jayco had a sticker on the side that told the full weight. Now grant you full weight also includes water tanks, but would give you a better idea then dry.

5. Hockeybjj

Hockeybjj Member

It doesn't have an average outfitted weight, the other weight listed is the gross trailer weight capacity- so how heavy you can get it with all the stuff inside as a trailer when you store things which was like 2500 or 2700. We plan on keeping it practically empty to tow, taking battery off and possibly propane too depending on how much a hassle the connector is, and of course not pulling it with water. I actually have a truck scale at my work I was planning on setting it on on a weekend

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Weighing it to get the real weight is perfect. I would however weigh it as if you are in camping mode so you can really get an idea where you stand.

7. George Rose

George Rose Member

We have one with the maroon and white canvas. Love it! Did it come with that microwave? I only ask because our has one just like that.

8. Hockeybjj

Hockeybjj Member

Yes it did haha. I thought it was weird since if I really wanted a microwave in my camper, small older ones are like 30 bucks on Craigslist. Not sure I want this taking up counter space, but I'll take it along with for the start. This layout actually has a good amount of counterspace, on others there's no way I'd want a microwave taking up 60+% of my usable cutting/prep surface

9. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

That looks great. Out 2005 Fletwood Allegiance is similar - dinette plus the u-shaped couch plus fridge/stove/sink. On the other hand, my stove and sink are on the taller galley, and the fridge is in the shorter counter area. Seems rather inconvenient to have the stove so low...